Why become a member? ×

NBD - Reverend Triad

neepheid

I've always had a soft spot for 3 pickup basses, despite my oft-stated loathing of bridge pickups.  I just think they look so damn cool.  This is my third (how appropriate) - previously had a Gibson G-3 and a Danelectro Hodad.  I don't count the two Gibson Grabber 3 70s Tributes I briefly owned as they were both defective and were returned.  It's my thread, so I make up the rules!

I was in Glasgow last week and as a poor deprived Aberdeen boy I could not be in Glasgow and not visit the guitar shops.  First off, pleased to report that Guitar Guitar has reinstated their "bassment" and basses are now back downstairs and they have a lot more stock out on display.  However, I also went into Merchant City Music and saw this:

01_all_big.thumb.jpg.c5ceff40f935b2cf06d30faf16bacd9d.jpg 02_body_big.thumb.jpg.c18a9ff1e193c4e039b2a22fa1b5b1aa.jpg 03_headstock_big.thumb.jpg.3cf21535114d9664b41f78fec233fb50.jpg

04_back_all_big.thumb.jpg.1996b32141d532e39e6e5a5b29f05108.jpg 05_back_body_big.thumb.jpg.965dabc9f2e3d579b4accdecb213b828.jpg 06_headstock_back_big.thumb.jpg.f3ca47952a8b60815ee004ec795e6c43.jpg

Oh dear, that's bloody nice, I thought to myself.  So I had a try of it and I think I may have found a bridge pickup I actually like the sound of.  Long story short, thanks to a very lovely, generous wife I now own this bass.

So far only played it through headphones/Yamaha Sessioncake but it sounds good to me.  The differences between the switch positions are subtle but noticeable.  Will take it to a band rehearsal next week for a proper blast (where the pickup selections may have more effect).  Digging the Reverend style - the modern retroness of it all.  Plus I'm a sucker for block inlays.  Everything is well put together - hardware is excellent (chunky bridge with choice of stringing through body or top load, Hipshot tuners), neck is good with no sharp fret ends - it feels like I got a lot of bass for the money.

• Like 28

2 hours ago, Skybone said:

Interesting, what are the switching options?

Always fancied a Burns Bison.

5 way switch, standard strat style options - N, N+M, M, M+B, B

While I'm sure that'll keep me busy for a while, already eyeing up the Freeway 10 way switch to open up possibilities like all 3 pickups together, pairs in series, bridge and neck etc.

• Like 2

Nice, and good to see that Reverend are now using something slightly more prominent to write on their serial numbers. My Rumblefish had a small indistinct black mark on the back of the headstock which I wiped off before realising that it was supposed to be the serial number!

If you don't need all the options of a ten-way switch consider swapping out one of the pots for one with a pull switch to separately turn on either the neck or bridge pickup which will then also give you neck + bridge and all three pickups as options. This is fitted as standard to my Burn Barracuda, and I've found it most useful.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Thunderpaws said:

Looks great and sure it is excellent to play. The necks on the Reverend bases feel great. Did you try the Mercalli when you were in the shop? If so, how was that?

I did, the overall feel was very similar (not really a surprise considering its the same neck and same body shape) but I wasn't blown away by the sound - seemed a bit tamer and even/smoother than the Triad. Not awful by any means but the Triad's tone was more appealing to me.

Also it's hard to describe but the pickups on the Mercalli are encased much like most pickups but the Triad's pickups are uncovered. Therefore you can feel the edge of the top bobbin and I really liked how that felt when resting my thumb on the pickup - a very distinct and positive feeling which made my thumb feel really "homed". Hard to describe as I said - I really liked how playing the Triad felt on a tactile level.

I would have liked to try the Decision P too but some inconsiderate so-and-so bought it a couple of days before I went down the road :(

6 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Have to say I’m massively tempted by the Decisions…

With that reverse P pickup I think it would have given the Triad more competition than the Mercalli and leave me with a tougher decision (ha) to make.

I have both a Mercalli and Decision P. You're right in describing the Merc as tamer, although personally, of the two, I prefer it. The pickups in the Decision are much hotter but both offer a wide range of tones with the pan control. I don't think you can wrong with any Reverends. Enjoy the new bass. It looks great.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my thoughts having played it at a band rehearsal.  It feels lovely to play, very "premium", neck is smooth and not in any way grabby, there are no sharp fret ends, and those pickups may look narrow but they're damn pokey!  Tried a bunch of settings while doing different songs.  I think position 2 (neck+middle) is the best for more old school sounds.  The bridge pickup soloed (position 5) was playing very nicely with my overdrive pedal (TC Electronics Mojomojo).

Least favourite setting - 3 (middle on its own).  It just seemed to have less character than the others and got a bit lost in the mix.

Some of the eagle eyed amongst you may have spotted that I did not take my new toy to my gigs last weekend.  That's because the stock strings feel much rougher than my usual and I didn't really care for them.  Didn't notice while I was enjoying myself but my fingertips were a little cross with me after the rehearsal was over.  So before it goes out to play properly, I'll be changing the strings for some D'addario XL nickels 45-105.  Didn't have enough time to do it before the gigs, plus there's all the stretching and tuning (and possible setup tweaking as I've got no idea what the stock strings are).  Next time...

Finally got off my lazy butt and changed the strings for my preferred D'Addario EXL165 (45-105).  I think the stock strings are a bit thinner than 45-105, the truss rod needed a 1/4 turn tighter and the intonation needed adjusting (saddles moved back).  What a thrilling Friday night this has been ;)

That feels much better.  I think we might have a gig next Saturday and if so it'll get its first live outing then.

• Like 1

Great looking bass and interesting write up,

I’ve fancied a Reverend bass for ages, yet not played one as they are still

quite scarce. Any idea how heavy they are? 

Saw Sheryl Crow’s bassist use one at Glastonbury and was hooked. 

3 hours ago, casapete said:

Great looking bass and interesting write up,

I’ve fancied a Reverend bass for ages, yet not played one as they are still

quite scarce. Any idea how heavy they are? 

Saw Sheryl Crow’s bassist use one at Glastonbury and was hooked. 

I may have got the wrong end of the stick when talking to the guys in Merchant City Music in Glasgow but what I came away with was that they're basically the importers for Reverend for the entire UK, so not only do they sell Reverend, but they distribute them also.  It seems like they keep most of the basses to themselves - only ever seen Reverend skinny stringed guitars in other vendors - whether that's a deliberate act or the other vendors simply don't want to sell the Reverend basses I do not know.  Or like I said, I may have got the wrong end of the stick entirely here - someone please correct me if you know better.

This Triad, using bathroom scales, weighs in at 3.9kg (8lb 9.5oz).  It does not feel objectionably heavy to me, and I should know having owned and played a few 12lb+ maple bodied Gibson beasts!

• Thanks 1

Guitar Guitar have a purple Triad in stock; in the past Andertons and Peach both carried a limited range Reverend basses. I got my Mercalli from Andertons a couple of years ago but the less said about that experience the better! Glad to say the bass exceeded my expectations and was worth the wait.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As the dust settles from a busy weekend of gigs, I'm pleased to report that the Reverend Triad passed with flying colours.

Light and well balanced, I wasn't even using one of my usual neoprene straps but it didn't matter - hardly noticed it on my shoulder/back. With a Neotech strap on there I'll be to play it for hours without thinking about it.

Neck felt great as I was playing, and I felt that connection with it that happens when I'm really enjoying playing a bass that gives me that extra 10%, the confidence to throw a slightly more complex fill in there or really nail the timing on a difficult section.

Only downside was buggering about with the pickup switching meant that I forgot to stomp on my OD pedal a couple of times. Not the bass's fault that I'm so easily distracted of course, but something to watch out for if you're normally a "set and forget" type like me ;)

To cap it all off, a bass player I know came up after and complimented my bass tone, said I was coming through loud and clear (oh god, I hope there weren't any huge clangers then!).

Really pleased with the bass. Would recommend a Reverend to anyone looking for something a bit different from the norm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a Reverend, and it has elbowed its way to the front of the queue.

It plays fine, looks amazing but it's the sound that leaps out at me.

I've never played a bass so articulate. Every nuance (and mistake!) Is so clear, it's unforgiving and beautiful all at once 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Very nice indeed. 3 pick up basses i just think "strat bass on steroids".

I've never heard of this manufacturer but will keep an eye open to try one.

Dave.

Merchant City Music in Glasgow are one of the main stockists Dave, nice and near for you.

Dangerous!

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...

Little revisit - I went and got a Freeway switch and installed it.  Took the opportunity to do a bit of copper shielding while I was in there...

1678740317684.thumb.jpg.f289e683a77446368ac89d02b1cc67ca.jpg

War volume tests this week at band rehearsal, but through headphones I was enjoying all my series options...

IIRC in addition to the standard switching I now have

N+M (series), N+B (parallel), N+B (series), N+M+B (parallel), M+B (series)

• Like 5