Why become a member? ×

My bass sound

larrikin

I own a gibson thunderbird, and dislike clean sounds! how can i make my tone heavy on higher frequencies? to sort of make it sound like a baritone guitar...

i would assume it's all to do with the amp, i have an ashdown electric blue amp, and also an ampeg svt, but that's no good as i have no speaker!

[quote name='larrikin' post='463014' date='Apr 15 2009, 02:16 PM']Thanks! what about a Voodoo Lab Ground Control, would this work? i'm not entirely sure what the Voodoo pedal even does... but someone told me it might help?[/quote]

Me neither, so I googled it. It's switching unit! :)
[url="http://www.voodoolab.com/gcontrolpro.htm"]http://www.voodoolab.com/gcontrolpro.htm[/url]

I would have thought if you want a distorted baritone guitar type sound you can roll off the bass below about 100Hz and use a distortion pedal that suits (which could be almost anything really - everyone has their own favourite).

Edited by Musky

[quote name='larrikin' post='463014' date='Apr 15 2009, 02:16 PM']Thanks! what about a Voodoo Lab Ground Control, would this work? i'm not entirely sure what the Voodoo pedal even does... but someone told me it might help?[/quote]

Umm... it wouldn't do much for you at all...!

Ok, here's what I use.

Gibson Thunderbird IV
Strung with d'addario medium nickel round wounds

I have a russian big muff pedal, mxr micro amp and a line6 delay modeler.

At the moment i am using a sh*tty little ashdown electric blue, as i don't have a cab for my ampeg, which is annoying!

The sound i'm looking for his heavy tone on higher frequencies because i want it to sound more like a baritone.

If my ampeg was set up, would i set the frequency to its highest setting??

Also, what are these voodoo ground controls actually used for??

Not really the answer you're looking for, but you might like to check out one of the Danelectro basses like the '63 or older DC's. I saw someone using one on Saturday and I reckon it would nail the sound you're after - it sounded amazing when he kicked in a fuzz as well.

Oh, and that Ground Control is a sophisticated switching unit - it allows you to switch between patches on midi gear, and switch in and out multiple pedals. With 3 pedals and no midi gear you don't need one.

It's not about distorting the higher frequencies (which you could achieve by splitting your T-Bird signal through an A-B box and running some output through a graphic or a high-pass filter, then through a fuzz, then re-integrating) - fuzzing the high freqs fuzzed will just give you a very tinny sound. It's about the actual notes you're playing .

Quick way to make your T-Bird sound like a Baritone is stick a capo on it. Or run it through a pitchshifter with 100% wet output.

Or just buy a baritone.

[quote name='larrikin' post='463868' date='Apr 16 2009, 12:52 PM']Thanks, but i really want to stick with my t-bird, i love it![/quote]
I can't help thinking that getting a Tbird to sound like a baritone is going to be like getting an orange to taste like an apple...

[quote]What's midi gear then?[/quote]
MIDI = [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midi"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midi[/url]

Typical MIDI effects gear =

Listening to some of the live stuff on you tube, it sounds like quite a middley sort of sound - still a decent amount of bottom end without much at the top. In fact quite a classic flatwound tone.

You shouldn't underestimate how much of someones tone lies in their fingers.

[quote name='Musky' post='464236' date='Apr 16 2009, 06:09 PM']Listening to some of the live stuff on you tube, it sounds like quite a middley sort of sound - still a decent amount of bottom end without much at the top. In fact quite a classic flatwound tone.[/quote]

How do you mean, flatwound tone, the strings? i think he uses the same strings as me, d'addario nickel round wound mediums - i used to have d'addario prosteel regulars, but thought it sounded far too bright.

I just love that sound

[quote name='larrikin' post='467330' date='Apr 20 2009, 11:42 AM']What will raising the pickups do?[/quote]
At the risk of stating the obvious, it will narrow the distance between the strings and the pickups! :)

Benefits will be increased volume, which may add a bit of grunt to your sound. There's an optimal height for the strings/pickups, so you don't want to take it too low.

If the strings are too high from fingerboard as well, you're best off starting with your original idea and lowering the saddle height.

[quote name='Musky' post='464236' date='Apr 16 2009, 06:09 PM']Listening to some of the live stuff on you tube, it sounds like quite a middley sort of sound - still a decent amount of bottom end without much at the top. In fact quite a classic flatwound tone.

You shouldn't underestimate how much of someones tone lies in their fingers.[/quote]

Musky is right , I have 2 Jazz basses , one with nickle roundwounds and one with old flatwounds , the Jazz bass with flatwounds nails the sound on Sex on fire , the Jazz with nickel rounds is way too zingy , there must be a way to get that tone with nickel rounds as the bass player from kol uses them , however ive found flats will get you closer to that sound

• 3 weeks later...

I got the 4x10 hlf cab recently, and i tried to copy the sound, even set my the amp to the same settings he has! but it still didn't sound like that sex on fire video i put up.

i found out that these are all the pedals and effects he uses, so it must be something in here, right??

# Ampeg SVT Classic Head and 8x10" SVT Cabinets
# Avalon U5 DI preamp
# BOSS TR-2 Tremolo
# BOSS ME-50 multi-effect (With the expression pedal set to +1 octave for the song 'Closer'.)
# BOSS DD-3 Digital Delay
# BOSS RV-5 Digital Reverb
# Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler
# Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro controller
# Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
# MXR M-133 Micro Amp