Why become a member? ×

Musicman basses - Big individual variations?

karenon

A couple of years ago, I suddenly decided that the time was ripe for revisiting my youth, so I started looking for a Stingray or Sterling 4 string bass. I have had some experience in the matter, as I had a Stingray some 20 years ago, and my brother still has his, which he bought used around 1982. I have been playing since I was 13, and I turned 40 a couple of years ago, so I know something about basses. Anyway, I went to some big shops in New York during a trip there, and spent 2 days playing anything Ernie Ball. What I dicovered was this: For a make that puts a lot of weight on it being made in USA and on quality control, the variations were enourmous. Lead heavy dead bodies, pots without click points, buzzing electronics, some microphones/electronics without the musicman growl at all and necks with dead spots everywhere, and then: One or two fantastic basses with everything where it should be. I had in fact preordered a double humbucker sterling that was waiting for me, and that bass was frankly unplayable and had no real sound at all. Some months later, I had a similar experience in Toronto. On both occasions I ended up buying an item, one Stingray, which I later sold, and one Sterling, from which i am able to produce a real classic stingray tone, allthough the fretboard is rosewood. Neckwise is just a bit narrower than the stingray, and the body is lighter, so it is a more comfortable bass, a fantastic rock/slap bass with real growl, truly recommended. Back to my theme: I am not talking about ordinary individual variations as can be found in all instrument production lines, but the same kind of heavy wet wood horrible feeling You got from some early eighties Fender basses, and some electronics that does not sound musicman expensive basses at all. Does anybody else have similar experiences, or am I just being horribly over-sensitive. I have never had the same feeling of playing lotto trying out any other brands, at least not in the price range where Musicman basses live. Comments?

Yes, there are some massive varitions, as there are with all mass produced instruments. The only two Rays I've really liked were a brand new 2eq model that I tried (but the neck was precision-thick!) and my OLP MM-22 active HH model. The same goes for Fender. You usually have to go through a few dogs in order to find a gem. The 'try before you buy' mantra definitely applies to all mass produced instruments.

Rich.

I've played quite a few used stingrays and found them to be on the whole very consistent machines through the 80's to the mid 90's. I tried a used SR5 at the Gallery and found the classic stingray growl albeit slightly less thick than on the 4 string model. I also tried a new HH SR5 in another visit and wasn't impressed at all, particularly with how gutless the neck pickup was. I also found on the SR HS models there were problems with noise interference in some coil settings.

So I don't know what to make of that really. I hope they aren't cutting corners in QC and design.

I'm surprised to hear this actually - I've always found Musicman gear to be very good & very consistent, far more so than Gibson, Fender & Rickenbacker.
Having said that, I haven't tried any Musicman gear for a good 18 months, so maybe they're going through a crap patch.
Typical, I've been fancying a Stingray lately......

Sorry for interfering, but I didn't want to make a new thread about MM's, as it's quite a short question..

A chap in local area is selling his Musicman Piezo 5 (Stingray, I believe??), and he now asks for about 730 pounds.

At the beginning the price was about twice as much - ~1400 pounds..

So, what about this - is this a bargain now, or his hopes are just too high?

Cheers,
Faith..

I've had a few MM's in my time and generally find room for one in my 'armoury'. There are differences between the ones I've had but its generally been limited to weight and neck dead spots. In terms of weight the current Ray 4 (2005) I have is spot on average (9.25lbs) but the Sterling 4 (2004) it replaced was a bit on the heavy side at nearly 10. Again the Ray4 I currently have (and a Ray5 I've just sold) is pretty free of dead spots wheras there were more noticeable ones on the 1990 2EQ Ray4 and the afforementioned Sterling (both cured to an extent with decent string selection and a bit of a rod tweak).

In terms of quality I think the recent MM's I've had were as good as the 1990 one (a period considered by many to be pretty good for MM production), fit, finish and playability being in good order - my 2005 Ray4 also has a nicer (to me) and faster neck profile. If I compare my Ray with the MIA (2004) P bass I have it feels a more 'expensive' instrument - sorry I can't come up with a better adjective. I'd agree with Rich that with all mass produced instruments it's a 'try before you buy' situation but I have less hesitation buying a MM blind than a Fender (except maybe MIJ) or even Lakland Skyline.

Thanks for your input, guys :)

Well, at the end, I wasn't preparing to buy it, as I have no serious interest in MM's at all, actually, but, simply, it looked a bit pity to me for him, as he was trying to sell his MM for about half-year now, probably..

Shame, that here [i]our [/i]musos are more interested in cheapish stuff, rather than something serious..

[quote name='Faithless' post='463520' date='Apr 15 2009, 11:23 PM']Thanks for your input, guys :)

Well, at the end, I wasn't preparing to buy it, as I have no serious interest in MM's at all, actually, but, simply, it looked a bit pity to me for him, as he was trying to sell his MM for about half-year now, probably..

Shame, that here [i]our [/i]musos are more interested in cheapish stuff, rather than something serious..[/quote]

Tell him to try and sell it on here.

I sold my 2002 SR5 here a couple of weeks ago for the target price - I could have sold it 3 or 4 times over.

I've had a few 'rays, at least four 4 string and a few 5's, all have been good basses.
I used to spend a lot of time loitering around the Bass centre when it existed in manchester and have played many more than I've owned, to be honest, not played a real bad one, those that weren't so good, just needed a good set up IMHO
There is variation for sure, but less than US Fender IMHO

I am currently running a 2005 beutter cream 4 string and it is very nice indeed!

T

[quote name='karenon' post='462810' date='Apr 15 2009, 10:56 AM']A couple of years ago, I suddenly decided that the time was ripe for revisiting my youth, so I started looking for a Stingray or Sterling 4 string bass. I have had some experience in the matter, as I had a Stingray some 20 years ago, and my brother still has his, which he bought used around 1982. I have been playing since I was 13, and I turned 40 a couple of years ago, so I know something about basses. Anyway, I went to some big shops in New York during a trip there, and spent 2 days playing anything Ernie Ball. What I dicovered was this: For a make that puts a lot of weight on it being made in USA and on quality control, the variations were enourmous. Lead heavy dead bodies, pots without click points, buzzing electronics, some microphones/electronics without the musicman growl at all and necks with dead spots everywhere, and then: One or two fantastic basses with everything where it should be. I had in fact preordered a double humbucker sterling that was waiting for me, and that bass was frankly unplayable and had no real sound at all. Some months later, I had a similar experience in Toronto. On both occasions I ended up buying an item, one Stingray, which I later sold, and one Sterling, from which i am able to produce a real classic stingray tone, allthough the fretboard is rosewood. Neckwise is just a bit narrower than the stingray, and the body is lighter, so it is a more comfortable bass, a fantastic rock/slap bass with real growl, truly recommended. Back to my theme: I am not talking about ordinary individual variations as can be found in all instrument production lines, but the same kind of heavy wet wood horrible feeling You got from some early eighties Fender basses, and some electronics that does not sound musicman expensive basses at all. Does anybody else have similar experiences, or am I just being horribly over-sensitive. I have never had the same feeling of playing lotto trying out any other brands, at least not in the price range where Musicman basses live. Comments?[/quote]

I've owned two - and a half. The first was a dreadful dog. It sounded ok but the paint wasn't stuck on properly and bits chipped off if you looked at it the wrong way. Strings and Things replaced the body (badly) but the replacement was exactly the same. I then got a whole new replacement which sounds significantly better and the finish is perfect and has stayed that way for several years.

Thank You all. It is very nice knowing that one is not alone in ones experiences (allways a good thing). It's great finally finding somewhere I can be a real bass anorak. Otherwise: Would just mention that I just bought a real cheapo Epiphone Valve jr. stack (actually is for my 2 year old son, but daddy is breaking it in), and it is a really nice little practice set up with good valve tone for the price. High Wife Acceptance Factor too:-). Cheers.

They are definitely more consistent than Fender.

The feel is much higher quality.

Now Fender have upped their prices right near a new MM, we have a dilemna!

I can definitely see the trend coming back to MM. That sound they produce and the amazing finish they seem to pull off is brilliant.

I've always had a good experience with musicman/ EB Stingrays. Always consistent feel and construction. I've never liked the sterlings etc but still they were consistently made.

Fenders on the other hand were very variable and for me, were a bit of a lottery. love hate relationship.

If I had to buy a bass sight unseen it would be a Stingray 3eq

cheers

Fran

The thing with American music shops is they tend to throw the guitars on the wall and not bother with them until they sell. Now, wood is a natural substance which will change over a period of time. This will affect the sound and feel of an instrument.

Most MM's that I've owned (and played in shops) have felt very consistent because I have looked after them or the (UK) shops have done the same.

The basses themselves all leave the factory after a very rigid QC process so I think it is down to the retailers from that point on for the condition.