Why become a member? ×

Small amp for EUB?

bythesea

After many years of playing bass, and then many more years of playing fingerstyle acoustic guitar (yes i am that old...) I am finally returning to the low notes and a Stagg EUB is at this moment on it's way to me.

My intention, especially at first, is to practice using headphones, though I also want to get a small amp for it - not necessarily a practice amp but not too big.

As it has been a long time since I have looked at bass amps I have no idea what would be good for this. Not looking to spend too much at the moment though if I get on OK will certainly want to upgrade/add to this in the future. It is also not beyond the realms of possibility that I may be tempted to get a fretless bass as well.

Any suggestions?

[quote name='dangerboy' post='462417' date='Apr 14 2009, 07:37 PM']I don't think you can go wrong with a GK MB150. Available second-hand on eBay for 300-350, hold their value, are small enough to take anywhere on the bus with an EUB, and you'll never need an upgrade.[/quote]

I have a PJB bass briefcase which is great for the upright dunno about an EUB though.

[quote name='dangerboy' post='462417' date='Apr 14 2009, 07:37 PM']I don't think you can go wrong with a GK MB150. Available second-hand on eBay for 300-350, hold their value, are small enough to take anywhere on the bus with an EUB, and you'll never need an upgrade.[/quote]

Seconded, it's a really versatile piece of gear that amplifies an EUB (And a 'proper' DB) extremely well.

You might want to consider something else, a Markbass 12" combo.

This is probably both more powerful and more expensive than you're currently planning on but in it's favour it's small (not a lot heavier than the GK MB150) and it's been recommended to me by a gigging player as one of the few amps that suit both BG and URB. I can vouch personally for the BG bit (love it) but I don't as yet gig the EUB.

Andy

I do like mine, for small gigs it's great (this is BG by the way).

However (and I may have been unlucky here) I've had two problems with mine which have caused me to spend on it as much in repairs as the price I paid for it (a touch more, just a touch, than you quote). This is over 4-5 years.

1) Power supply blew. UK agent says the transformerless power supply is unreliable and they'll replace it with a PS with transformer. Pocket £200 lighter, amp is 2 lbs heavier (okay 1 kilo, then).

2) Speaker blows, cone rip 2" long. In a small venue, relatively quiet gig (competing with 18w guitar amps). UK agent says a 10 year old (estimated) speaker this is quite likely. Pocket another £200 lighter. Amp travels back and forth 3 TIMES before it's properly repaired (no point in boring you with the details).

Doesn't change the fact that I do like the amp, but kind of wish I'd splashed out on a new one. Which I've more than paid for.

Have I been unlucky ? (I guess so, or the amp wouldn't have so many fans).

Andy

In the past I’ve used a GK MB150 and, while it’s good, the tone is very limited. Any newer 1x12 cab with a separate amp is going to be a million times better. I'm currently getting great results with an LM11 with a Bergantino AE112 for an electro/acoustic duo.

Edited by chris_b

The GK MB150 is the standard DB combo plus it's stupidly light. However, as others have pointed out it's only really got one sound but if you like that one sound then it's not really a problem. Plus, they're not cheap.

I'd recommend a lightweight head + 12" Neo cab setup (e.g. Markbass/Genz Benz/Ashdown Green giant + Genz Benz neox 112/Aguilar GS 112)

If small, light and reasonably cheap are what you're looking for then I wonder if one of these:

[url="http://line6.com/lowdownstudio110/"]http://line6.com/lowdownstudio110/[/url]

might fit the bill?

Thanks for all these ideas, certainly gives me something to look at and listen to.

Interesting what's been said about the GK, I think being able to have two or three definite "sounds" would be good.

As far as budget goes, I really have no idea. It has been so long since I have looked at bass amps (or amps of any sort) I am totally out of touch. It might be that I go for something cheap at first just to have an amp, then spend some time working out exactly what sound I want.

[quote name='bythesea' post='463280' date='Apr 15 2009, 06:36 PM']Thanks for all these ideas, certainly gives me something to look at and listen to.

Interesting what's been said about the GK, I think being able to have two or three definite "sounds" would be good.

As far as budget goes, I really have no idea. It has been so long since I have looked at bass amps (or amps of any sort) I am totally out of touch. It might be that I go for something cheap at first just to have an amp, then spend some time working out exactly what sound I want.[/quote]

Some of these tilt backs could be quite nice also - [url="http://www.ebssweden.com/2007/FRANKFURT09/images/4combos.jpg"]tilt backs...[/url]

I've got a GK 200MB (predecessor to the MB150). Had to replace the speaker in it some time back as the edge of the cone had just deteriorated and fallen to bits. I replaced it with an Eminence Alpha as I couldn't afford a genuine replacement at £130.

I also have a Hartke HA1200 kickback 12" combo (which now has an Eminence Alpha in it). It's a bit bigger and heavier than the GK, but the sound is much fuller.

You can't beat the GKs for lightness, but you can beat them for tone for not a lot more weight and bulk.

• 3 weeks later...

I reviewed the GK MB150, Mark Bass MiniMark and AER Amp One for Performing Musician mag. All were good but the AER completely seduced me and that's what I now use. It's small, light, loud and has a warm but clear tone to die for - with both Steiberger EUB and fretless Wal.

Phil

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='462599' date='Apr 15 2009, 12:20 AM']I do like mine, for small gigs it's great (this is BG by the way).

However (and I may have been unlucky here) I've had two problems with mine which have caused me to spend on it as much in repairs as the price I paid for it (a touch more, just a touch, than you quote). This is over 4-5 years.

1) Power supply blew. UK agent says the transformerless power supply is unreliable and they'll replace it with a PS with transformer. Pocket £200 lighter, amp is 2 lbs heavier (okay 1 kilo, then).

2) Speaker blows, cone rip 2" long. In a small venue, relatively quiet gig (competing with 18w guitar amps). UK agent says a 10 year old (estimated) speaker this is quite likely. Pocket another £200 lighter. Amp travels back and forth 3 TIMES before it's properly repaired (no point in boring you with the details).

Doesn't change the fact that I do like the amp, but kind of wish I'd splashed out on a new one. Which I've more than paid for.

Have I been unlucky ? (I guess so, or the amp wouldn't have so many fans).

Andy[/quote]

Yes,
I've got the older 200MB model from '89 - still working and only had to change the input jack once...
For EUB amplifiction they're really OK (I used it with a Fichter EUB for some time) but ofcourse not that refined. The Markbass might be a better choice.

(Edit) With everybody complaining about ripped speakers I checked it: Aha - So That's That Funny Sound I've Been Hearing. Mine's ripped too. So out goes the Pyle, in the Eminence...

Edited by JanSpeeltBas

• 2 weeks later...
Guest subaudio

I am a fan of the GK MB150, I like the sound and they are very portable and relativley affordable, that said after carrying that and a DB on London transport I did wonder if there was anything as good but lighter still and have orderd a Genz Benz 10T combo, there are a lot of DB players saying a lot of good things about these, and this is the first time I have ever bought gear untried, so as soon as I have given it a good spin I'll let you know, if you hunt around you can grab one at a very good price.

[quote name='subaudio' post='494862' date='May 22 2009, 08:11 AM']I am a fan of the GK MB150, I like the sound and they are very portable and relativley affordable, that said after carrying that and a DB on London transport I did wonder if there was anything as good but lighter still and have orderd a Genz Benz 10T combo, there are a lot of DB players saying a lot of good things about these, and this is the first time I have ever bought gear untried, so as soon as I have given it a good spin I'll let you know, if you hunt around you can grab one at a very good price.[/quote]
Look forward to hearing what you think about that - would definitely be a suitable size :)