Why become a member? ×

BDI21 Mods

Chienmortbb

I am just about to mod my Behringer  Bass DI, BDI21 along with one from a friend. The mods designed by Franken P on YouTube is in the form of a video. To make it easier, I screenshot each stage and have put it into a pictorial PDF. Sadly I have run out of space on here so if you want a copy, please sens me a message with your email address.

Now I have other projects on the go so will not be starting this for a while, however I thought I would put the PDF here in case anyone else fancied doing it.

Just now, paul_5 said:

I did this with mine when I had one - well worth taking the time to mod it.

Thanks for the comment Paul. Incidentally, I will be doing a frequency response sweep before and after to show how well it works.

Apparently there is a built in mid dip that the mod takes care of as well as a notch filter. I will be doing a sweep of the BDI21 before and after mods to see the difference.

The parts are now ordered so I can try it once my other projects are finished or paused.

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

I did this mids mod to my BDI earlier... made it switchable as per the Franken P video. The first time I've taken an iron to a SMT board so I had to take a deep breath first! but it's well worth doing.

PSX_20230530_223201.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

On 26/05/2023 at 17:33, PaulThePlug said:

20230404_203122.thumb.jpg.92a5419e7298b3c97c1a5537965f929c.jpg

Mids Mod...

10k res from top of C19 to bottom of R16

Pah … trivial … I made three like that just in my lunch break ….

** joking… wow…how do people do this stuff…?

13 hours ago, Geek99 said:

** joking… wow…how do people do this stuff…?

A good iron, a steady hand, and the thought that if it all goes horribly wrong it's only a twenty quid Behringer knockoff. :lol: 

• Like 3

@stevie yep 10k res from top of C19 to bottom of R16, or via switch, or variable by a pot?

Not 100% if it brings it back to flat, i think it more reduces the amount of scoop based by the existing circuitry, rather than actually boosting the mids.

Result to the ears may be similar...

5 mins and pence job for adding the resistor to the board, no wire, no switch, no holes, easy reversed...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Thanks 1

This video suggest another way to get rid of the scooped mids:

Anyone knows which is most effective to get an approximate flat response, the mod suggested in this thread or the mods suggested in this video (the instruction is in the last bit, and it suggests bridging entirely different points/components with resistors of different value as well, as the one suggested here).

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

^ that is the same 'resistor' mod that i did... i just did it on the back of the board as a permanent, rather than a switch...

Ah, right, my bad, just had a look at the video again, and your mods does in fact match the instructions to what is referred to in this video as the second switch, dealing with the stock notch filter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Rich said:

Gig debut for the modded pedal last night. Over the moon with how good it sounds, managed to get a great Geddy-like tone from it now the scoop is gone.

I am not one of Mr Lee’s biggest fans but I will  be doing the mod eventually. Glad you liked it.

• 3 months later...