Why become a member? ×

So now Happy Jack has a Mike Lull 5-string neck...

Andyjr1515

9 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Black hardware surely???

No, it will be chrome, Mick.  If you remember, the starting point was the finished neck fully loaded with Chrome Hipshot Ultralites - so it was always intended to be chrome hardware.  Trust me - it will look splendid when it's all put together :)

But those dice knobs Jack's set his heart on...hmmm....

Naaaah!

xD

On more basic items, I've decided on the hardware fixings and I'm going for threaded inserts and machine screws throughout.  M3 allen-socketed A2 stainless for the bridge and jack plate from the 'kiddies in a sweetshop' experience that is the ACCU website :party::

GTt6mnWt.jpg

The machine screws for the pickup will also be M3, but with smaller crosshead tops to fit in the pickup recesses.

Use of inserts should mean that the inherent softness of the paulownia doesn't become a problem with the fixtures and fittings.

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 4

Two things arrived this morning, the 3mm inserts and the decals

The inserts look to have a decent thread to spread the load for both the jack plate and pickup height screws.  Here one is, along with my inserting screw and spanner:

e2ILR4el.jpg

The best way of inserting them is, after drilling the holes in the body, to put the 3mm screw into the insert up to the locknuts and then use the spanner to turn the locknuts, which turns the insert and cuts the thread, driving the insert into the timber:

W5cdS59l.jpg

A few minutes later, we have two usable inserts:

MLKyaC1l.jpg

ZLGeDQ6l.jpg

It will be the same process for the pickup height adjustment screws.

The decals are the gossamer-thin ones from Rob at www.guitardecals.co.uk:

2h0QHSel.jpg

These will be dust coated with clear nitro, to prevent them melting, before the final gloss coats. 

• Like 2

Same method for fitting the inserts for the M3 pickup screws using locknuts to screw in the insert and a couple of locknuts to provide the twisting force with the spanner:

FQKFOFal.jpg

And done:

rcqto5fl.jpg

u0l9gvDl.jpg

Next and last set of inserts will be for the bridge, but that will need a mockup with some sample strings for alignment - which means waiting a day or two for the headstock clear-coat to harden.

But all the time, the body is continuing to harden for its final polish.  :D

• Like 4

Ready for the hatch magnets, I used a plug-cutter in some maple offcut:

2P1Xh1Ol.jpg

Then got the bandsaw to work:

OdVg6Gql.jpg

5Z6qXIfl.jpg

And next, readying it up for popping a couple of line-up strings on, the tuners back on and the neck temporarily fitted.  This is also a good test to see how well the paulownia stands up to the crush of the fixing screws.  There is a fallback if they aren't able to hold the tension - drill out and insert some hardwood plugs - but I don't want to do that unless I have to.  I can hear it already: 'Were you standing on the cupboard??????!!!!!'  :o :

Mt42zOZl.jpg

vB729Drl.jpg

While these shots probably belie the progress - there is still a fair bit to do - I think we're getting to the final straights...

Next job is positioning and fixing the bridge.

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 4

Today was bridge fixing and testing the longer-term security of the neck fixings.

First job was using my long steel rule both to position the bridge for length and also to ensure that it is lined up left/right to give similar clearance between the G and B strings and their relevant fretboard edges:

UMog2Yfl.jpg

The bridge has three screw holes.  I used a 4mm s/steel bolt and insert for the centre hole and two 3mm bolts/inserts for the two outer ones.  That fitted, a trial fitting with the strings:

cfWQBj1l.jpg

Don't get too excited - there's still quite a lot to do.

The neck angle has to be tweaked to ensure that the saddles have the right kind of action range for the final set up but at this stage, I will leave it at playing tension overnight and see if the tension on the neck bolts 'relaxes' at all.  The reason it might is that I have no idea just how resilient paulownia is to crushing - if the ferrules crush the wood in the heel, then the neck bolts will loosen a touch and I may need to insert some hardwood plugs.  But it if holds full playing tension, then there will be no need for that.

Strings-wise, @Happy Jack suggested we took a punt on a set of Elites Bass flatwounds.  Very affordable and my first impressions are that they are pretty good!  I'm not sure that the B string got the memo that it was going to be in an extra-long set... :D       I am hoping/expecting that there is enough full width string underneath for me to be able to just take the silks back a cm:

5brwSfdl.jpg

The string retainer won't be put into use until I've finished messing about and strung it up for real.

So next job, assuming I don't have to add the heel hardwood plugs, is fettling the fretboard (I'll do a quick levelling to take out any irregularities/string marks/etc) so that is ready for determining the final neck angle tweak and setup.

Then there are the strap buttons/locks and knobs to sort.

Then wire it all up

Then polish it ready for going home to Jack's  :)

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, 3below said:

Just thinking about whether I can do that on my current build whilst using a 'just a nut III'  slotted in Fender style.  Given that I build with deep fingerboards, probably, possibly, maybe - goes to get measuring kit. 

I don't see why not as long as you don't have the truss rod access that end  :)

• Like 1

Bit of a shocker weight-wise, though...with all the coats of epoxy and nitro and now with most of the actual hardware and bits in place or at hand, it's crept up to a predicted playing weight of 6lbs 14oz!     

Must be those Elites - great value, but clearly weigh a tonne!   :D 

Time for the helium...