Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM 750 Evo V!

fretmeister

On 29/09/2022 at 12:45, Sibob said:

While the ABM's are still too big/heavy for my needs in their current format, I do have to say that the black EVO 5 is the best looking amp they've put out in the last 20+ years.

Si

I really wish the black controls on a black facia with white legends excited me. It just doesn't. Is anyone able to create a visualisation of what the standard black controls with black legends would look like on a white facia? That works well for Orange and some Matamps and would be much more practical in low light for me.

Edited by Sparky Mark
Spelling correction

2 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

I really wish the black controls on a black facia with white legends excited me. It just doesn't. Is anyone able to create a viualisation of what the standard black controls with black legends would look like on a white facia? That works well for Orange and some Matamps and would be much more practical in low light for me.

I should have something relatively similar to what you are asking in the near future, so I can provide an update.

For an immediate idea, have a look at the custom white ABM 900s they did for Guy Pratt a few years ago:

image.thumb.png.994d09662ebbc4edef79e1cf095ba053.png

image.thumb.png.ae6b913c03f8aad23a3475e2f7d5c27e.png

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BruceBass3901 said:

I should have something relatively similar to what you are asking in the near future, so I can provide an update.

For an immediate idea, have a look at the custom white ABM 900s they did for Guy Pratt a few years ago:

I have one  CL310 DH cab ,What's it like running two ?

2 hours ago, BruceBass3901 said:

Yes, thank you, if I ever have the funds I think I'd go for that colour scheme.

I must admit the ABM 750 really peaked my interest as the latest incarnation of ABM's. It appears to be a bridged under voltage version of the old school ABM 900/1200 amps but running 'cooler' and safer at 750 watts RMS. I'm sure it will be ultimately very reliable in use and the idea of a quality, British made BIG power class AB amp that's not running over voltage or stressed to the max to satisfy the sales reps power stats really sounds like Ashdown are on to something good. Saying that, I recently responded to a mail shot by Ashdown asking what my three favourite Ashdown products were and also what I would like to see Ashdown produce in the future amp wise. My three fave products were ABM's, ABM's and ABM's. I also specified a compact class D Ashdown Digital Magnifier  or ADM if you like in the 500-800 watt range, with the ice blue paint job of regular ABM's, a standard ABM tube tone stack and comes with rack ears for rack mounting as standard 2U size. Hey, if Markbass can do a tube 800, why can't Ashdown do it better?  I'm sure there are a ton of bass chatters waiting for such an amp. Anyway, until I have the option of a coolio lightweight ADM I will stick to my faithful old skool ABM EVO II 300 & 500 heads that despite the weight, do everything an ABM should, ie supply copious amounts of HEFT😁

IMG_1019.jpeg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, dangoose said:

I also specified a compact class D Ashdown Digital Magnifier  or ADM if you like in the 500-800 watt range, with the ice blue paint job of regular ABM's, a standard ABM tube tone stack and comes with rack ears for rack mounting as standard 2U size. Hey, if Markbass can do a tube 800, why can't Ashdown do it better?  I'm sure there are a ton of bass chatters waiting for such an amp. Anyway, until I have the option of a coolio lightweight ADM I will stick to my faithful old skool ABM EVO II 300 & 500 heads that despite the weight, do everything an ABM should, ie supply copious amounts of HEFT😁

I think this is sort of what they tried to do with the ABM EVO III 1000 and 2000 models, which had the ABM preamp with a 1000 or 2000 watt Class D power stage, making them a lot lighter than the standard ABMs. A big selling point when I saw these, particularly the 2000 watt model, was the clean headroom on them. These took on the previous normal idea of the ABM series with the "larger" version essentially sporting double the output capacity (2 x 4 ohm loads rather than just 1 x 4 ohm load).

Both only got 1 iteration and were discontinued.

I know a few people had them and really liked the lightweight ABM option.

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/10/2022 at 03:24, dangoose said:

I must admit the ABM 750 really peaked my interest as the latest incarnation of ABM's. It appears to be a bridged under voltage version of the old school ABM 900/1200 amps but running 'cooler' and safer at 750 watts RMS. I'm sure it will be ultimately very reliable in use and the idea of a quality, British made BIG power class AB amp that's not running over voltage or stressed to the max to satisfy the sales reps power stats really sounds like Ashdown are on to something good. Saying that, I recently responded to a mail shot by Ashdown asking what my three favourite Ashdown products were and also what I would like to see Ashdown produce in the future amp wise. My three fave products were ABM's, ABM's and ABM's. I also specified a compact class D Ashdown Digital Magnifier  or ADM if you like in the 500-800 watt range, with the ice blue paint job of regular ABM's, a standard ABM tube tone stack and comes with rack ears for rack mounting as standard 2U size. Hey, if Markbass can do a tube 800, why can't Ashdown do it better?  I'm sure there are a ton of bass chatters waiting for such an amp. Anyway, until I have the option of a coolio lightweight ADM I will stick to my faithful old skool ABM EVO II 300 & 500 heads that despite the weight, do everything an ABM should, ie supply copious amounts of HEFT😁

IMG_1019.jpeg

Tried the ABM 600 and still prefer my old 500 EVO II

• 3 weeks later...

So my custom ABM EVO V landed a little while ago, but this weekend finally saw it leave the house for a gig. This thing is everything that I expected; slightly different character to the EVO IV, in much the same way the EVO IV was different to the EVO III, and still needs some tweaks to the EQ as everything is interactive as per the previous ABMs. Suits my ABM 610 perfectly.

Great sound, stacks of headroom, the intelligent cooling is a nice touch, not as b*stard heavy as my old ABM 900 EVO III. Smiles all round!

image.thumb.png.f6a32ff384fe9a56f959d30ba9e01ab4.png

• Like 8

I was considering the EVO V to go with my EVO IV … instead after talking to Ashdown they did me a great deal on the CTM100 head 

The EVO V does sound like a great amp and that custom front is really smart looking. 

Edited by BassAdder60

8 hours ago, BruceBass3901 said:

So my custom ABM EVO V landed a little while ago, but this weekend finally saw it leave the house for a gig. This thing is everything that I expected; slightly different character to the EVO IV, in much the same way the EVO IV was different to the EVO III, and still needs some tweaks to the EQ as everything is interactive as per the previous ABMs. Suits my ABM 610 perfectly.

Great sound, stacks of headroom, the intelligent cooling is a nice touch, not as b*stard heavy as my old ABM 900 EVO III. Smiles all round!

image.thumb.png.f6a32ff384fe9a56f959d30ba9e01ab4.png

Brilliant amp, but I just find the polished stainless front panel impossible to read.

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

How’s the EVO V working out ? 

Beautifully. It is certainly a powerful beast, and I have yet to need to tap into what it is really capable of. With my 610, I've not had to have the output up above 9 o'clock for some decent sized rooms. Our regular soundguys have said that it is more than capable of holding it's own without much if any PA support and sounds stellar out front.

Very happy with it, but there is far more power on tap than most would need.

16 minutes ago, BruceBass3901 said:

Beautifully. It is certainly a powerful beast, and I have yet to need to tap into what it is really capable of. With my 610, I've not had to have the output up above 9 o'clock for some decent sized rooms. Our regular soundguys have said that it is more than capable of holding it's own without much if any PA support and sounds stellar out front.

Very happy with it, but there is far more power on tap than most would need.

I’ve used my ABM600 at an outside gig ( loudest I’ve ever run it and still only 12 o clock on the output )

Most venues mine is running around 9 o clock too through two ABM210H cabs 

On 17/01/2023 at 12:35, BassAdder60 said:

I’ve used my ABM600 at an outside gig ( loudest I’ve ever run it and still only 12 o clock on the output )

Most venues mine is running around 9 o clock too through two ABM210H cabs 

I found the same with my EVO IV. Couple of outside events had my going up a little more, particularly as I was usually running the NEO 210 cab. With the ABM 610, it rarely had to get turned up beyond 11.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
20 minutes ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

Hey all, any more thoughts, experiences or acquisitions of this amp in the last 12 months? It's piqued my interest, but noone seems to carry stock. ✌️

I keep thinking this will be the next purchase, but honestly I reckon now I have your old two10's the ABM 1200 4 ohms a side would be ideal! mwahahaha.

Seen a few knocking about in the wild though, although my 600 has never left me wanting

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

Hey all, any more thoughts, experiences or acquisitions of this amp in the last 12 months? It's piqued my interest, but noone seems to carry stock. ✌️

Love mine still. Playing in your town on 6th Jan - come along and see it!

• Like 1