• dad3353
    • Nail Soup
    • leonard smalls
    • Lurksalot
    • fingers211
    • Upside downer
    • skankdelvar

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/05/22 at 23:01

Congratulations to both @Doctor J and @NickD  on their joint win in a tightly fought end to the April Challenge.

After a small discussion the photo was offered by NickD and agreed by all parties and has proved to be a very positive and inspiring image 

His preamble ...    " I was messing with vapour and light for a photography project last year, and this reminded me of the smoky, fleapit cinemas of my childhood, but I reckon it's pretty wide open to interpretation."

image.png.c8204243e4453573ef48c5531b8eb8b6.png

There we have it , the only thing left is to offer up the tunes inspired by the picture to the Basschat community and their 3 votes each ,

so here they are 

@NickD     I get a Mothership, beam me up, vibe from the picture, so kinda fancied the mid-paced, big chorus, funky thing.

Obviously it's a picture of a projector, so the evils of TV gave me my subject matter.

@xgsjx     Had an idea for a trance song, picked up the bass & something not trance came out.  But I liked it, so that's the bassline.  Then I set about mixing trance, metal & breakbeat together to come up with this nonsense.

@Dad3353   I started off with a blank sheet and doodled some chord sequences; this was the result.

@Nail Soup  In the picture I saw the light.... so theme of song is 'seeing the light'. Musically it is a nod to the various spiritually-tinged songs on the Velvet Underground's 3rd album

5 @Leonard Smalls    The picture reminded me of the Moody Blues' Malapropic misquote of Milton, which further reminded me of a schoolmate who swore his dad had just bought a new Austin Fandango. Hence a song about cars ending in "O", which obviously meant a weird jazzy ambient bit sandwiched between 2 slabs of Funky Cockney and Groovy Scouse...

6 Lurksalot   a tale of unrequited love with tunnel references 

7 @fingers211    Please, let me explain !

I had a  somewhat grandiose idea. First I would find a numerical value for the colours of the spectrum, (yeah right). Then, I would convert those numerical values into musical notes that would base themselves around my given value of middle C. 

I would then play the colours in the picture as notes. Well let me tell you, I ended so far up myself that it got painfull !!! 

@upside downer   The image made me think of a swirly time and space portal from those old 60s and 70s TV shows so here's a slightly-skewed-in-places tune with a few echoey bits thrown in for a wobbly 'Woah, time travel, eh?' feel. But what is time? “Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so” said Ford Prefect to Arthur Dent as the Earth was about to be demolished in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Fair enough. Who am I to argue?

9 @skankdelvar  

I intended to take a break from the comp this month. Then I saw the image and it just screamed 'Do a Floyd rip-off!'

Well there you go , if you have taken the time to listen through , I have no doubt that you will have enjoyed the time spent. 

you have 3 votes to try and separate these superb entries , good luck to the participants and voters 

Voting will end at midnight on 31st May 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

21 minutes ago, nilorius said:

I am not shure i understand this chat ?!?

This is a monthly challenge where members can write and record a piece of music.

this thread is for everyone to vote for their favourite.

the thread that created the ideas is 

Thanks, everyone, you're far too kind. There's so much talent and hard work as goes into these comps

I've shunted a pic across to Lurks for the June comp and I'll be submitting an entry but I'm def taking a break after that. This last one took days of fiddling around and I've been getting That Look from the Missus :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2