Why become a member? ×

This Trace Elliot ELF never ceases to amaze me!!!!

Mike Bungo

I’m seriously considering one of these, pretty much all of my gigs are through FOH PA so this would just be for stage volume. Although we’re a punk/psychobilly band we’re not that loud so I’m assuming this would be sufficient?

Edited by Lozz196

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

I’m seriously considering one of these, pretty much all of my gigs are through FOH PA so this would just be for stage volume. Although we’re a punk/psychobilly band we’re not that loud so I’m assuming this would be sufficient?

I would say so, depending on the sensitivity of your cabs :)

11 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I can use my ELF with the band with my SVT212AV 4 ohm cab and it’s loud enough ( we play pretty loud )

You will need definitely a 4ohm load I think to really get the most from it 

Sounds great too 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Used my Elf with my BF Super Twin Saturday night, kept up with 3 Marshalls no problem. 

How do people run the gain as I've read that the higher it is the more compression you get, so some have started maxing the volume and adjusting gain to suit? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Used my Elf with my BF Super Twin Saturday night, kept up with 3 Marshalls no problem. 

How do people run the gain as I've read that the higher it is the more compression you get, so some have started maxing the volume and adjusting gain to suit? 

I'd be interested to know other peoples settings too.

With my P basses, I tend to run gain at 12 o'clock, although I have run it lower. I don't hear any difference in compression between 10 and 12 o'clock, but then I've not run it higher either. Bass & Treble at 12 too, Middle at 1 o'clock. Master usually is around 11 to 12 o'clock with my BF One10, which to me is plenty loud.

Rob

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I did a gig with one that needed both low volume clean and unclean with a little more volume. A bit of checking found 9 o'clock on the gain stayed clean with normal dig in and dirtied up while digging in and a little nudge up on the master gave the extra volume.

I can't recall what the clean and 'rowdy' master positions were but safe to say it wasn't a rowdy gig so nowhere near maxed out and probably less than noon.

Great to have a drummer that does energetic with a light touch so you can do rowdy numbers in polite company.

• Like 1

I used my Elf with BF Two10 on Friday and Saturday just gone. The amp was on from around 10am til 6pm each day, albeit only used for sound check and 5 sets within each of those times. It was in direct sunlight most of the time and didn’t break a sweat. Marvellous.

Gain and Vol both around 50%, which sat perfectly in the mix, I’d set the gain a little lower than usual to make sure I wasn’t pushing the preamp into its overdriven section when I got carried away 🤓

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Merton said:

I used my Elf with BF Two10 on Friday and Saturday just gone. The amp was on from around 10am til 6pm each day, albeit only used for sound check and 5 sets within each of those times. It was in direct sunlight most of the time and didn’t break a sweat. Marvellous.

Gain and Vol both around 50%, which sat perfectly in the mix, I’d set the gain a little lower than usual to make sure I wasn’t pushing the preamp into its overdriven section when I got carried away 🤓

Good to know in case I ever need to utilise my similar setup!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Most of the gigs I’ve done over the last year have been in small pubs or cafes or else on stages in local events where parking is an issue and you often have to walk a few streets to get to the stage through crowds (food festivals and the like). For this the elf/110 has been invaluable. I can usually get away with one trip on foot with no compromises as the elf just gets DI’d and sound great. It looks a little odd on a big stage but most people don’t even notice. One really handy feature is the gain/compression function, one less pedal to carry. Great piece of kit.

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 4

The Elf gain gives progressively greater compression as it is ramped. Very useful if you are pushing it close to it's limits. A quite aggressive overdrive comes in over the last smidge of adjustment, this cannot be accessed simply by digging in.

This is very different from older TE amps where the recommendation is to set gain so the peak led flashes when you ay hard. But as with all TE solid state amps, use gain to get the tone/response you want and adjust master for volume.

• Like 1

(2) GAIN rotary control This is to set the gain of the input stage of the amplifier. The setting of this control is the single most important on the whole unit. There are three regions of operation of the control, which can be visually confirmed by the activity of the signal LED.

(3) SIGNAL LED When the LED is green, the instrument signal is passing through the preamp without any compression. When the LED begins to flash red, more and more compression is occuring in the preamp as the GAIN control is advanced. The compressor also tracks changes made to the EQ; therefore, an increase in an EQ setting will require a decrease in the GAIN setting to maintain the same amount of compression. When the GAIN control is at maximum clockwise rotation, a musically useful overdrive distortion circuit is engaged. Reduce the VOLUME accordingly when using this setting

13 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

One thing you can say is that Peavey has always put out good sounding and reliable equipment! :)

Actually I’ve been in loads of bands that had peavey gear and while not considered “premier” the gear always worked. 

Edited by Quilly

I used mine again tonight to have a try out with a couple of chaps looking to put a band together. P bass in a gig bag over my right shoulder, amp, cables & wireless in gig bag pocket, Barefaced One10 in left hand. Saunter in to studio with a very light load and setup in 2 minutes. There's a lot to be said about just how easy these amps make life feel.

I'll be using it again tomorrow, and I'm going to try pushing the input gain into compression a bit, which I haven't done so far.

Rob

27 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I used mine again tonight to have a try out with a couple of chaps looking to put a band together. P bass in a gig bag over my right shoulder, amp, cables & wireless in gig bag pocket, Barefaced One10 in left hand. Saunter in to studio with a very light load and setup in 2 minutes. There's a lot to be said about just how easy these amps make life feel.

I'll be using it again tomorrow, and I'm going to try pushing the input gain into compression a bit, which I haven't done so far.

Rob

This is exactly my practice and, often, gig rig. Very handy indeed!

• 1 month later...

I finally ran the Elf at it's limit last night.

Lancaster Music Festival, I'm on foot, Bass in gig bag, amp and leads in pocket of gig bag, Barefaced One10 in hand, easy commute and walk in.

The pub wasn't big, but it was rammed and noisy with punters. The band is drums, bass, guitar, sax and trumpet. No vocals, just jazz instrumentals, some standards and some more modern groovy stuff. PA is small and just for horns. I had the master on full, and pre-amp at noon, but it performed admirably and it was enough, but I have found it's limit I think, through this cab anyway. If I'd had a second One10 it would have been a different matter I think. I'm seriously considering getting a BF Super Compact for extra oomph.

Rob

• Like 3

On 15/10/2023 at 03:58, msb said:

One of these days I’ll pick one up.

I really haven’t found any complaints.

There are complaints, from folk that seem to need a metric buttload of power. I think many don't get the concept of a clean master vol with a dirty input control that compresses as it gets hair on.

It is rated for a clean 200w without compressing. I haven't heard anyone claim it is false with any credibility. It would be a simple job to put an oscilloscope on the output and see what it is doing at the bleeding edge.

8 hours ago, asingardenof said:

I believe it would. I run mine through a Two10S and I haven't had the volume past halfway yet.

I had a Two10S too until recently. But this was a walk across town gig, so it had to be a small cab in hand. 
For anything bigger, and when I’m driving, I generally use a Mark Bass LM3 and a Mark Bass 2x10. 

One thing I haven’t tried is the Elf through the Mark Bass 2x10 cab. So I might see how that sounds.

I really do see a BF Super Compact in my future though.

Rob

• Like 1