Why become a member? ×

This Trace Elliot ELF never ceases to amaze me!!!!

Mike Bungo

5 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

I don't know what you were expecting out of the pint sized mini rig! Mathematically a 2nd cab is going to add a little and then some, but it's still only going to be 2 tens at the end of the day.

Afaik Elf manages about 130w into 8 ohm, so not a whole lot of extra power, but the 3dB of extra sensitivity from doubling  cabs can do a bit extra with it again. If you are seriously only lacking a little then I feel you would do nicely with the 2nd cab.

If you are more underwhelmed than that you might be better off with a 12 or two.

Never mind what other folks get away with using with their loud drummer. Everyone's drummer is loud. Some are louder. If you ever plugged in a second cab you should have a fair idea what to expect in your situation.

I don't intend using the 1 * 10 with my 'loud band' at all just an acoustic trio I play with. I use a p bass with flats for that acoustic(ish) band, I'm not looking for heaps of volume just a little bit more warmth, but I'd like to keep the same foot print.   

42 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I don't intend using the 1 * 10 with my 'loud band' at all just an acoustic trio I play with. I use a p bass with flats for that acoustic(ish) band, I'm not looking for heaps of volume just a little bit more warmth, but I'd like to keep the same foot print.   

2nd 110 worth a crack I reckon.

I’m curious to know if anyone has directly compared a TE 1x10 with a Barefaced One10? 

I use my Elf with a BF cab, and I also use a P Bass with flats, so a similar setup. The band is a reasonably sensible jazz band with sax and trumpet. I’ve been considering getting another BF cab, just because two cabs would be better right? But it’s really just GAS, I don’t really need it.

Rob

• Like 2

Just now, ossyrocks said:

I’m curious to know if anyone has directly compared a TE 1x10 with a Barefaced One10? 

I use my Elf with a BF cab, and I also use a P Bass with flats, so a similar setup. The band is a reasonably sensible jazz band with sax and trumpet. I’ve been considering getting another BF cab, just because two cabs would be better right? But it’s really just GAS, I don’t really need it.

Rob

I’m in the same boat, but they’re very dear 

6 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

You should be able to pick one up for £300 or less, which isn’t daft money really, all things considered.

Im over in ireland and they’re rarely available second hand here  unfortunately. To get one shipped over  secondhand now requires the seller to fill out loads of paperwork for customs and tax and stuff. I tried and the sellers just don’t want the hassle and I don’t blame them .  I have the two10 which I’ll use for bigger gigs , not that big a cab. The elf 110 is ideal for rehearsal 

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 2

The 2 Elf 1 x 10 cabs I use are phenomenally loud, sound amazing, fill the room and keep up with a loud drummer and guitarist. 

I don't give a rat's for the maths or what you can 'prove' on paper. They're monsters. 

Oh and I own and regularly gig with Barefaced cabs. These easily hold their own in comparison and are far better made.

• Like 5

I've got 2x TE1x10 cabs but I'm using them with a Peavey 600w head. Not sure how much difference they'd make with the Elf head but you wouldn't have to worry about headroom. They sound great - full with lots of punch - with the Peavey. My take on it would be that with the 2 separate cabs you have flexibility to use one or two as the gig dictates.  

Can anyone enlighten me on this…

The driver in the 1x8 combo is presumably  a 8ohm version of those in the 2x8 cab, which must be 16ohms each I guess. So if you use the cab and combo together as a 3x8 ‘rig’ the driver in the combo is being asked to to do double the work of those in the 2x8, and has to handle twice the excursion and so on. That seems less than ideal. 

Have so got this wrong?? I’m sure Peavey got this right but I’m slightly put off by the mismatch that I’d have in a 3x8 combo & cab setup.

The 1x10 combo with a 1x10 cab might be a better bet but I like the idea of the 3x8! 

Edited by funkydoug
Correcting my lazy thinking

9 hours ago, funkydoug said:

Can anyone enlighten me on this…

The driver in the 1x8 combo is presumably  a 8ohm version of those in the 2x8 cab, which must be 16ohms each I guess. So if you use the cab and combo together as a 3x8 ‘rig’ the driver in the combo is being asked to to do double the work of those in the 2x8, and has to handle twice the excursion and so on. That seems less than ideal. 

Have so got this wrong?? I’m sure Peavey got this right but I’m slightly put off by the mismatch that I’d have in a 3x8 combo & cab setup.

The 1x10 combo with a 1x10 cab might be a better bet but I like the idea of the 3x8! 

I don't know if the combo driver is simply the 8 ohm version of whatever is in the 2x8 but it's a reasonable assumption.

You are dead right that a 3x8 stack isn't going to be the most efficient use of resources. The 2x8 would be loafing but you would be unlikely to blow the combo.

According to the guru on the other bass forum with the American accent a 4x8 tower can handle an 800w Quilter quite nicely. He got some serious extra boomf over what it would do with the Elf even if he couldn't dime it.

Horses for courses. If the 3x8 fits in the boot of your MX5 and goes loud enough for the big gigs and the 1x8 can hold its own at rehearsals I guess it's a valid choice. I can't see it being any more useful than the 10 combo with extension though.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Halfway through the second set of our gig last night my MB amp died. I was able to grab my Elf and hook it up to a single 1x12 cab without too much drama and used it for the rest of the night. We are a loud band and I had the master vol full up but it sounded awesome. There was no head room but I was able to keep the pre amp from clipping and I got through the rest of the set. It was very hot at the end, not sure it’s sensible to run it that hard for long but it dug me out of a big hole and sounded excellent as well. If TE did a 500w version I’d be at the front of the queue. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, SuperSeagull said:

Halfway through the second set of our gig last night my MB amp died. I was able to grab my Elf and hook it up to a single 1x12 cab without too much drama and used it for the rest of the night. We are a loud band and I had the master vol full up but it sounded awesome. There was no head room but I was able to keep the pre amp from clipping and I got through the rest of the set. It was very hot at the end, not sure it’s sensible to run it that hard for long but it dug me out of a big hole and sounded excellent as well. If TE did a 500w version I’d be at the front of the queue. 

I love this. It’s why I wouldn’t ever do a gig without one. 

I use an old EBS head and the Elf is super insurance.

• Like 2

On 25/02/2023 at 20:37, Burns-bass said:

I love this. It’s why I wouldn’t ever do a gig without one. 

I use an old EBS head and the Elf is super insurance.

I run mine into either one/two TC Electronic RS112's. With two at 4 ohm's we are loud but I'm not going over 12 O'clock so I've got wiggle room left :)

26 minutes ago, Skinny said:

I believe you all but the amp seems too good to be true. I have not heard one yet being gigged but look forward to it. 

I gig mine, with one or two Barefaced One 10’s. Admittedly, the band isn’t loud by any stretch of the imagination, but the master is only on about 3. 

Rob

2 hours ago, Skinny said:

I believe you all but the amp seems too good to be true. I have not heard one yet being gigged but look forward to it. 

I’ve gigged mine, without PA support, in a loud rock band and been blown away by it. It may not have crushing low lows but it sounds like a bass guitar and it sounds good. Impressive little beasties

1 hour ago, BassAdder60 said:

It’s so light you have to careful not to yank it off the speaker cab !! 

Threw my “gear bag” in the corner a few times not realising- there’s a bass amp in there . Lucky nothing negative happened