Why become a member? ×

2 questions. Which headpones are best for Mixing?

chrisgil

I currently use the Sennheiser HD600 headphones for mixing, aswell as using the my genelec monitors.

The only problem is they tend to distort at a not too high level, especially the bass.
Are there any that are as good quality if not better that can perform as good at higher levels.

The other question.
What exactly is RAM, and will it make my Mac perform better if I upgrade it?
its currently 4.5gb RAM

Thanks in advance

[quote name='charic' post='48493' date='Aug 21 2007, 07:38 PM']Ram usually helps computers but if your already running 4.5gb you should be well in the clear. The best headphones ive come across for mixing (live and at home) are DT150's by beyer. Ill let someone else explain RAM :huh:[/quote]

RAM = Random Access Memory. Are you sure you have 4.5Gb of it? That doesn't seem right. Chips usually come in pairs i think (for technical reasons), so you might have 2x500M = 1Gb, 2x1Gb = 2Gb. Given that, I don't think it's possible to have 4.5Gb of RAM as it isn't a mulitple of any memory size I've heard of.

Maybe you've got 4.5Gb of hard disk space available ? If you go to Control Panel -> System Properties, on the "General" tab it'll tell you how much RAM you have.

EDIT - doh!, just saw you're talking about a MAC. Not sure how much of the above applies! :)

Edited by Gwilym

My vote goes to Sennheiser HD-280 Pro's. I tried all the usual suspects - Sony MDR-7506, Beyer DT100's and the AKG 240 Studio versions before deciding between two - the Sennheisers and some Audio Technica HD40's. Tough choice, but I went with the Sennheisers.

Are you definately sure it's the headphones distorting, or is it the amp? If the headphones are high impedance, the volume will be lower, and as you turn it up, the amp can work too hard and distort.

What amp is it?

Ta

Dodge

P.S. I'm not a Mac man either, but 4.5 GB of RAM should be plenty for any audio application.

It is 4.5gb ram
people on other forums dont seem to believe me as well.
Is it worth bumping it up to 6.5gb ram or would I not really notice a difference?

I like to use both headphones and the genelecs for mixing but more the headphones. I know mixing on monitors is the norm but this is the way that works best for me.

The headphones are plugged into the Interface - RME Fireface 800.

the distorting could be a problem with the headphones but ever since Ive them they seem to be very delicate and not really handle loud volumes.
and when I say loud I dont mean stupidly loud. just loud. (if you know what I mean)

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='48557' date='Aug 21 2007, 08:54 PM']I remember hearing you should mix down on the crappest speakers possible. That way if you make it sound decent it will sound phenomenal on decent speakers. It doesn't work the other way round.[/quote]

Edited by chrisgil

its perfectly possible to have 4.5Gb of RAM, you could have 2 x 2Gb and 1 x 512Mb sets. I heard somewhere that you get better performance from ram if all the sets are the same, so you could replace the 1x512 set with another of the same size. Although that could be complete rubbish.
Unless your having trouble playing or recoding multiple tracks with multiple effects plugins then you wont need to upgrade. With that much ram i would have thought it would be your processor that has touble before the ram. What performance aspects are unsatisfactory at the moment? why do you think you need to upgrade?

Macs can and do have 4.5gb of Ram, g5 have it as an option I think. In anycase you don't need matched pairs anymore.

As others have said, thats way more than you need, so don't bother upgrading it any more. You'd be better spending the money on a good audio interface. Since all that playback and input performance is definied by that.

I have a pair of AKG K100 that i have used for about 10 years with no problems and good sound quality at all volumes.
I did a sound engineering course at SAE and they recommended these and i haven't looked back.
:huh:
''I remember hearing you should mix down on the crappest speakers possible. That way if you make it sound decent it will sound phenomenal on decent speakers. It doesn't work the other way round''

NO NO NO!!
mix on good reference monitors that give a FLAT EQ. that is an accurate sound representation. THEN... take a copy and listen on you crappiest speakers you can find, IF that still sounds good you have nailed it.
BUT when you have gotten used to your reference monitors you won't need to use the crappy ones at all. :)

Edited by pauljdcooper

I'd agree with what Simon says ( :) ) because you'll be hearing the stereo spectrum differently BUT you've already said you've got Genelec monitors and you were asking for advice on a pair of headphones to assist with the monitoring process - which suggests you're aware of this already.

As for headphones, Grado make some stunningly revealing ones at relatively sensible money*. I use a pair of SR125s as a final check on instrument character and fine tuning. I'd hesitate to use them solely for mixdown, but I think I could still get some fantastic results.

* the most expensive pair are £900+ though :) :huh: Nearer the bottom of the range, the SR80s are about £80. I've heard dozens of headphones and Grados beat the lot. They are an open design, so the sound leakage may be a problem when also using them for monitoring in a quiet recording situation.

• 2 weeks later...

RAM is good for performance.. especially with audio. I have built id say around 100+ computers in my time so I know a couple lil tips.

It is as was pointed out best to match ram sticks e.g. 3 x 2gb stick will be faster then mixing random sticks. Its always a good idea to stick to same brand and clock speed as well. Your current sticks should say what they are e.g. DIMM 5200 mhz.. this is the speed of the ram stick. its not a good idea to have random clock speeds on one motherboard as it can impede your RAM speed.

However.. usually its not noticeable. I always buy my ram sticks at the same time so they are the sticks that came off the factroy line one after another to ensure they are similar which gives a lil speed boost. But id say that the actual amount of RAM is more important than pairing.. at which point 4.5 gb is Fine.

Oh and as for headphones.. Sennheiser are my best value choice.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='50556' date='Aug 25 2007, 01:38 PM']As for headphones, Grado make some stunningly revealing ones at relatively sensible money*. I use a pair of SR125s as a final check on instrument character and fine tuning. I'd hesitate to use them solely for mixdown, but I think I could still get some fantastic results.

* the most expensive pair are £900+ though :) :huh: Nearer the bottom of the range, the SR80s are about £80. I've heard dozens of headphones and Grados beat the lot. They are an open design, so the sound leakage may be a problem when also using them for monitoring in a quiet recording situation.[/quote]

EXACTLY what I was going to say! I have some 'cheapo' SR60s and have used them for mixdown alongside monitors and they sound fantastic - of the whole range I found them to sound the most 'natural' sounding.

Cheerz
ped

I'm currently using Sennheiser HD280 Pro - they're quite new to me but are proving very clear though somewhat lean on the bottom - it's all there, just not a lot of girth. As with all monitoring it's a question of knowing your monitors be they speakers or headphones. Lots of isolation so great for tracking vocals.

I use Sennheiser PX100 for portable use which aren't so transparent through the mids and highs, clear yet forgiving, but much fuller on the bottom. Excellent value for money.

Alex