Why become a member? ×

Luminlay not shipping to UK

hankhill

The glowing material can be Zn (zinc) based (poor performance), so now most of the inactive materials are Sr (strontium) based, like Superluminova. If the layer is thick enough, and density good, luminous material can glow few days. Luminova comes from Japan.

Tritium (second isotope of hydrogen) is a radioactive gas which has a half life of 12.5 years. The gas is usually sealed to a glass tube. The inside of the tube is covered with material that glows because of the decaying tritium. There are few other active materials (like Radium et al.) but far more expensive and very uncommon for civil users.

Active materials will have poor performance after the half life, but modern inactive materials may perform well even after decades.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Their postage is very expensive 

I am amazed of their claimed performance, which seems to be poor. I think they do not use lots of powder. I have made tests where several layers of powder can glow up to three days. Naturally the glow at the end is low, but visible.

8 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

I should've stocked up on this item while it was still available.

FB_IMG_1620429246585.jpg

Are those SIMs?

I have a flying V 8 string bass with SIMs LEDs on side and as inlays and a headstock LED inlay AND a laser that shoots out of the headstock!

• Like 2

As the one who started this thread, I’ve pretty much given up on this idea, for several reasons.

1.       As well as being the bass player, I’m now also the unofficial lighting engineer in our band, so I always make sure there’s a spot pointing in my direction:)

2.       Seems that any passive luminous material has a limited life of maybe 10-12 years.  I have some basses that are nearly 40 years old…not that I would drill one of those, but if I did fit Luminlay I’d expect it to last the life of the instrument.

3.       I’ve had reasonable success with simple luminous spot stickers bought on Amazon.  If you carefully clean the oils off the neck first, they’ll last several months and are easy to replace.  If I know I’m going to playing in a dark hole, I use a bass with those on.

I do find the FretFX approach interesting and might consider that in the future, although if they shine brightly towards the front/audience then personally that’s a no-no, as guitars with bright LEDs look pretentious and stupid in my humble opinion.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hankhill said:

Following with interest.  Any photos of the actual installation would be great.

Oh, i wont be doing it myself! I dont trust me with a drill near a neck.

Dropping it off to a luthier tomorrow. 

On 12/02/2024 at 14:47, hankhill said:

2.       Seems that any passive luminous material has a limited life of maybe 10-12 years.

No. Active material, tritium, has a lifetime of 12.5 years.

Modern inactive materials are functional for a longer time, like decades, although they may degrade slightly over time. I have seen products that have been up to 60 years old that work just fine. Older zinc sulphite materials are still functional, but they have never been very good compared to these newer Sr aluminate mixtures. You buy any better watch, and the hands are printed with (Super-) Luminova.

Watch industry uses mostly inactive materials, because they last so long. There are few companies like Traser that likes to use tritium tubes, but that's a gimmick. You can buy gun sights with tritium tubes (Trijicon, Meprolight...), but again, who really needs them?

You need a longer glow, you just mix more powder to the lacquer.

Maier's pages are a chore, but if you are active enough (joke!), and understand some German, you may find some interesting data there. Some of it is visible and hidden at the same time.

https://www.leuchtfarben.de/

Just dropped my bass of to the guy. Should have it done by tomorrow. Will post pics.

Did you lads know that the underside of a neck doesn't have fret markers! It's so obvious now, but i never even considered it when i built this bass. 

I'm hoping the guy does a slick job. He's very good at inlay work, so he should be alright.

57 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Did you lads know that the underside of a neck doesn't have fret markers! It's so obvious now, but i never even considered it when i built this bass. 

If it does, it means it can be used by a leftie as well as a rightie.

1 minute ago, tauzero said:

If it does, it means it can be used by a leftie as well as a rightie.

Aye. I put a left hand neck on a righty bass. 

I never realise how much i used the side dots until they weren't there. i didn't even consider they wouldn't be.

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

Has anyone here tried any of the luminous acrylic paints?

I've got Spacebeams Aurora, fairly subtle but does work, does come off if not top coated but easy to add fresh, not much of a problem if you don't wrap your thumb around the neck, but if you have a neck strap in the case it will rub off in that area