Why become a member? ×

Marshall Madness

Burns-bass

I was bidding on a guitar at an auction and I saw this:

https://auctions.doreandrees.com/catalogue/lot/7ad50fad34f6944428b146add59a403e/ad74375b82a358e6eef0ce537def266d/guitars-that-made-history-lot-44/

One speculative bid later and I bought 100kg of raw 80s power. 

Its a Marshall 3560 Silver Jubilee head in the worlds heaviest flight case, with a 4x10.

They weigh an insane amount but my goodness the sound is amazing. Anyone have any hints or tips on getting the best out of the head? Or any experience with them?

• Like 3

Point it at the guitarist and ask if he wants some…..

Seriously though, congrats, that’s a killer rig. I’ve found Marshall valve amps to be very thick sounding so depending on your needs I’d say cut on the eq rather than boost whilst getting there.

Can't really offer any useful advice but it's a great bass amp. I had the 300 watt Jubilee head, then located the matching 4x10 like yours, followed by the 1x15. I had it for quite a while. Great sounding setup, sadly I never got to use it live. Looked awesome all set up in my bedroom though!

I *think* with the 600 watt head you need 4 of those 8ohm cabs to get all the power?

1 hour ago, Bleat said:

Can't really offer any useful advice but it's a great bass amp. I had the 300 watt Jubilee head, then located the matching 4x10 like yours, followed by the 1x15. I had it for quite a while. Great sounding setup, sadly I never got to use it live. Looked awesome all set up in my bedroom though!

I *think* with the 600 watt head you need 4 of those 8ohm cabs to get all the power?

I read that these can power several cabs and that people often used them this way. It’s classic “pro level” 80s gear. The sound is incredible, but the weight or ridiculous, particularly when it’s sat next to a Trace Elliot Elf in the music room!!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

I helped load in one of those cabs up the stairs, once. It would have gone through the wall at the bottom if it had gotten away from us.

Imagine no speakers in a box but half full of concrete instead. 

“As heavy as a washing machine, but twice as loud as a 1600 spin with uneven feet.”

• Haha 3

I’ve had the 300W 3530 head for many years; it’s currently my rehearsal amp, but have gigged it - only replaced it in that role as I needed a head with DI out and more power.

The bit of research I did when I got it suggested that they’re put together with very high quality components and sound really nice, but are rather underpowered for their rating.  Which I’d agree with - the 3530 feels more like a 200W head, my Mesa Walkabout (also nominally 300W) absolutely stuffs it.  However, I’d imagine the 600W version would have plenty of power!  Good score 👍

1 hour ago, Shaggy said:

I’ve had the 300W 3530 head for many years; it’s currently my rehearsal amp, but have gigged it - only replaced it in that role as I needed a head with DI out and more power.

The bit of research I did when I got it suggested that they’re put together with very high quality components and sound really nice, but are rather underpowered for their rating.  Which I’d agree with - the 3530 feels more like a 200W head, my Mesa Walkabout (also nominally 300W) absolutely stuffs it.  However, I’d imagine the 600W version would have plenty of power!  Good score 👍

Thats good to know. This was very much an impulse purchase that I regretted. My wife hasn’t noticed it (or mentioned it) yet, so that’s a good sign. 

It’s incredible to have it next to a TH500 or Elf. I mean the whole thing is mad really.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Thats good to know. This was very much an impulse purchase that I regretted. My wife hasn’t noticed it (or mentioned it) yet, so that’s a good sign. 

It’s incredible to have it next to a TH500 or Elf. I mean the whole thing is mad really.

I wouldn’t regret it - they’re rare and “collectible” now, and like most ‘80’s British built gear it’s bulletproof.

When the range came out the cabs and amp cases were clad in rather natty pale grey tolex; not sure why they later changed to the more boring black.  A guitarist mate had the Silver Jubilee 50W all-valve combo (in the pale grey with chrome facia) which was probably the best sounding guitar amp that I’ve ever heard - hence my later acquiring the 3530 on likewise rather an impulse!

23 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

The cab on the other hand is obscene!

Back in the late sixties I used a Marshall 4x12 driven by a Leak TL50 Plus and a small single valve preamp I built to control the Leak.. it worked well but the cabinet WAS more than a little awkward to load in and out! 

Edited by BassmanPaul

3 hours ago, Shaggy said:

I wouldn’t regret it - they’re rare and “collectible” now, and like most ‘80’s British built gear it’s bulletproof.

When the range came out the cabs and amp cases were clad in rather natty pale grey tolex; not sure why they later changed to the more boring black.  A guitarist mate had the Silver Jubilee 50W all-valve combo (in the pale grey with chrome facia) which was probably the best sounding guitar amp that I’ve ever heard - hence my later acquiring the 3530 on likewise rather an impulse!

A mate of mine has one of those combos, and the full stack as well. Great sounding setup, even on the clean channel when pushed it sounded amazing.