Why become a member? ×

Replacing two amps with one to rule them all

owentherozzers

Hi everyone. I'm looking for help with choosing a new amp and cabs please! I want to be flexible with different cab set ups depending on the size of stage.

Scenario is I have an SVT VR head and 8x10 AV, plus a little GK MBS with the extension cab. The SVT is hardly used, as the gigs where it'd be useful are often outdoor festivals or places that are providing backline. More often than not it's an SVT they've hired anyway. I'm also trying to save van space and weight.

I do a bit of solo work too (I'm a Sting tribute, so I'm always playing bass even if it's just to backing track) where I take the mini GK rig but it's sometimes underpowered. As I'm lead singing I do need a loud amp I feel, or I'm cluttering my in ears mix with bass. That's where I love the Ampeg, and perhaps nothing moves that much air but... current thoughts are to go lighter and replace everything with Mesa Subway, GR bass or Aguilar SL... I want the flexibility to have one or two cabs at any gig and use the same head for everything. Another question is what ohm cabs are best in this scenario? May even consider a 'medium' Ampeg rig of V4B and a 212SVT as I'd still be able to carry it into solo gigs myself. Thought about an Ampeg 410HLF with my existing VR but it's a lot of weight on your own! Really do like the Aguilar cabs though, perhaps a 210 for small gigs, a 410 for medium and both for bigger stages? 

Would welcome anyone's thoughts on this little dilemma please! As you can see, I've no idea what to do, on the ohms thing especially.

Thanks! 

I’d reckon that the V4B & SVT212 is the ideal “in the middle” for what you’ve described. Apparently the SVT212 is Ampegs nearest sounding cab to the 810.

Other than Ampeg, well an Ashdown ABM set up would also do it - the ABM600 is a very flexible amp and easily does the felt as well as heard thing. Combined with an ABM410 that’s plenty. You’d be adding weight with the cab but losing it with the amp - and cabs can be put on castors!

7 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’d reckon that the V4B & SVT212 is the ideal “in the middle” for what you’ve described. Apparently the SVT212 is Ampegs nearest sounding cab to the 810.

Other than Ampeg, well an Ashdown ABM set up would also do it - the ABM600 is a very flexible amp and easily does the felt as well as heard thing. Combined with an ABM410 that’s plenty. You’d be adding weight with the cab but losing it with the amp - and cabs can be put on castors!

Thanks mate. If I went the V4B route I'd probably look at a 112 too for smaller gigs, but what ohms would be most suitable for owning a 112 and 212 with a V4B? 

Edited by owentherozzers

14 hours ago, danbowskill said:

Ampeg goes down to 2ohms....so id make both cabs 4ohms

Doesn’t matter, it’s a valve amp isn’t it? So full power goes to any of the taps. So of course if 4 ohm cabs in the right flavour are easier to find, it’s no issue but if not, use the 4 ohm tap with 2x 8 ohm cabs  :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Merton said:

Having read the manual myself, I now want one FFS 😂

I did my own little comparison yesterday with the RM500 and the V4B through the bb2 with my jazz elite on the same settings ,in both active and passive modes, both amps are nice , I would say the rm gave a more mellow tone for reggae, whereas the v4 is very clean and deep , both are great, just different 🙂

• Like 2

Mesa boogie all tube eight 88 goes down to 2ohms and also has a power switch on the front to cut out certain valves so you can drop the power from approx 475w to 250w to 100w when you drop the power to half to keep the punch you plug an 8 ohm cab into the 4ohm output and so on.

Also at 49lbs it’s a lot lighter than my SVT pros.

The power switch is ideal for different venue sizes and home playing.  

4955F124-8D63-42DC-BBAA-FBD049C6D8A2.jpeg.64fb33465775bbae7c69c4916588ee76.jpegThe issue is finding one available. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve got a V4B and it has 2, 4, and 8 outlets , here’s a pic from the manual 

ADCBBB88-1A63-49FA-AC2E-11CE29A8663B.jpeg

Thanks mate, never seen this zoomed in with the small print under each outlet. Makes sense now. If I'm correct, I can run either the 8 ohm 112av or the 4ohm 212av, or both? It's the 'both bit' I've been uncertain about. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bunion said:

Mesa boogie all tube eight 88 goes down to 2ohms and also has a power switch on the front to cut out certain valves so you can drop the power from approx 475w to 250w to 100w when you drop the power to half to keep the punch you plug an 8 ohm cab into the 4ohm output and so on.

4955F124-8D63-42DC-BBAA-FBD049C6D8A2.jpeg.64fb33465775bbae7c69c4916588ee76.jpegThe issue is finding one available. 

never seen one of these! I haven't really looked at market for years to see what's out there... I had an original ABM mini rig since the age of 18 until I sold it recently. Bought the SVT rig 10 years ago when I started the Police tribute as it what Sting had (ish) so never really shopped around back then either. I like the current mesa subway heads, but even finding them is hard enough! The GR stuff seems like a break though but not sure I trust the construction loading in a van with other heavy gear? It might be possible for cabs to be too light?!  

18 minutes ago, owentherozzers said:

I can run either the 8 ohm 112av or the 4ohm 212av, or both? It's the 'both bit' I've been uncertain about

I’m not 100% sure on the both bit, I’m sure someone will be along soon and be able to help you with that one 🙂

32 minutes ago, owentherozzers said:

Thanks mate, never seen this zoomed in with the small print under each outlet. Makes sense now. If I'm correct, I can run either the 8 ohm 112av or the 4ohm 212av, or both? It's the 'both bit' I've been uncertain about. 

Not both, at least not both as in one in the 8 ohm socket and one in the 4 ohm socket.

Ultimately with a valve amp you have to select a transformer tap from which you will take the power - in this instance you have options of 8, 4 or 2 ohm taps. Both the 4 and 2 ohm taps have two sockets wired in parallel, allowing you to use 2x 8 ohm cabs (4 ohm tap) or 2x 4 ohm cabs (2 ohm tap).

You could, possibly, plug them both into the 4 ohm socket as the combined nominal impedance of 2.67 ohms is still ok (valve amps prefer lower impedances than higher, the opposite of solid state amps); the Ampeg manual doesn’t recommend this concept of mismatched impedance though.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2022 at 10:29, Bunion said:

I thought you were maybe thinking of selling your one, as you’ve now got the Noble. I think you’d alluded to something like that a while ago. 

I suspect it’s too hard to let go- not that I blame you

12 minutes ago, E sharp said:

I thought you were maybe thinking of selling your one, as you’ve now got the Noble. I think you’d alluded to something like that a while ago. 

I suspect it’s too hard to let go- not that I blame you

Watch this space, it will certainly be coming up soon.