Why become a member? ×

Any love for these old warhorses.

Highfox

Hiya all.

I'm struck down with Covid so it gives me time to update you about one of my new purchases.

Don't really know much about these other than what I have been able to sift through on line. Was wondering if anyone here has any more info they could add to?

I have had a few vintage Fenders before (late 60's early and late 70's) All been nice but moved them all on in bass lust.

I saw this going fairly cheaply locally and always wanted a natural finish P bass and like the vintage vibe, so couldn't resist.

From what I understand this could be a 73/74 model going from the old Greco logo on the headstock. Not sure what the wood is, not any ash that I have seen before, it's sandwiched with a layer of maple.

The good and bad, My Luthier had to cut it a new nut, he rounded and filed the fret edges (it had been re- fretted at some point) The pots he said had been changed as well as the pickups, no idea what they are now. The input jack he also changed and other than that it's good to go now. He said it's well crafted and has a really nice neck.

Haven't tried it in anger yet, but plays nice and has promise. One I don't mind taking to the rougher gigs.

Thanks for reading.

IMG_20220303_093524.jpeg

IMG_20220303_093529.jpeg

IMG_20220303_093536.jpeg

IMG_20220303_093558.jpeg

IMG_20220303_093615.jpeg

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, Dazed said:

Nice find 😎

The nut looks narrow is it jazz width?

Actually I think you are right, same width as my Flea jazz. Been swapping between Jazz's and P's so long I don't really notice the difference anymore .

• Like 1

That's a nice old thing! I think it's a PB-380, and as the 'Gneco' logo suggests, 1973 or earlier. Pickups, scratchplate & controls are non-original, and I'm on the fence about whether or not the body's had a refin - would not be surprised if there were traces of sunburst in the cavities.

Anyway, the top row of catalogues here are for the correct era, all showing burst/rosewood PB380s. Fun nerd fact - as with most Japanese home-market instruments, the model number reflects the original retail price in Yen - as prices increase over the years, the model numbers change to match.

Here's a Reverb listing for an unmodified PB-380, showing the original scratchplate, knobs & the interesting type of pickup it probably had.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/40379321-greco-precision-bass-pb-380n-1973-sunburst-rare-pickup-japan-import

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Fun nerd fact - as with most Japanese home-market instruments, the model number reflects the original retail price in Yen - as prices increase over the years, the model numbers change to match.

Well that's something I never knew. 🙂👍

If it has had a refin I'd guess it was a long time ago by the way the lacquer's cracking. The thick old 70s poly does that quite often. 

Lovely looking bass though, just my sort of thing. 😎

• Like 1