Why become a member? ×

Squier 40th Anniversary Precision Bass - thoughts

cetera

On 08/03/2022 at 12:20, Paddy515 said:

Me neither, always pre-owned, but a black/gold is on its way from Germany.

I think these may become quite sought-after. Thomanns said they had 20 in black but would be no re-orders once they had gone.

Ive a JV from '82 so it was only right to have this from '21 (as I think they are dated)

Delivered - set up like donkey. 7/64the at 17th on the A, unmeasurable relief at 7th, plus the A rings when played open. Will set up from scratch with flats and then judge it properly.

40th1.jpg

40th2.jpg

40th3.jpg

40th4.jpg

40th5.jpg

40th6.jpg

40th7.jpg

40th8.jpg

40th9.jpg

I like the look of that very much. But I'm not very happy about the designed and boched by Fender on the back of the headstock. Oops my eyesight again 🤣

On 07/03/2022 at 20:00, jonno1981 said:

It really hit home for me how it’s not remotely about the name on the headstock, it’s the instrument in your hands. I don’t think I’m ever going to mail order a bass again! 
It’s so subjective and driven by personal requirements, it’s not worth the risk to me.

Have to agree with this, my very first fretless was a Squire Vintage Modified that I played as a bit of fun when I was out trying fretted basses in music shops about 10 years ago. I was with my wife and decided to give it a go and said to her, this could be interesting as in this is going to be embarrassingly bad. Ended up playing it for about an hour with a perplexed expression on my face thinking this is actually great. A few days later, came home to find the bass waiting for me. My wife said you were so comfortable playing it, played it so naturally and looked so happy that I've bought it for you.

Also, my main recording bass is a Mexican Fender FSR 70's Precision. Tried it in Guitar Guitar and it sounded phenomenal and was beautiful to play. I've got Stingray's, US Fenders and many other higher end basses that have come and gone but this Mexican Fender is incredible. Plus, what's the one bass I regret selling, my 77 Fender Precision??, my 73 Fender Telebass??, my dream Stingray that I bought when I got signed??, my first Warwick Streamer that cost £2300??, nope, it's a £700 Mexican Fender Jazz 70's Reissue. It was beautiful and sounded wonderful and fitted to my playing perfectly and I so miss it.

• Like 2

I know where you're coming from Linus.  I'd tried a few MIM jazzes and was a bit "meh".  In one shop they had 3 Geddy Lees.  I tried two, "meh" again.  The third, "wow!"  The sound, feel, finish all coincided to create a superb instrument.  couldn't have my wallet out quick enough.  Not yet found a Jazz from Fender at any price that I prefer to that individual instrument.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 09:00, Bassfinger said:

I know where you're coming from Linus.  I'd tried a few MIM jazzes and was a bit "meh".  In one shop they had 3 Geddy Lees.  I tried two, "meh" again.  The third, "wow!"  The sound, feel, finish all coincided to create a superb instrument.  couldn't have my wallet out quick enough.  Not yet found a Jazz from Fender at any price that I prefer to that individual instrument.

It's very dangerous to go into a music shop and try out 'budget' instruments because sometimes you find one that just presses all the right buttons. And when they are relatively cheap it's hard to say no...

As a beginner I thought the Squires would be perfect for me. However what put me off was the gloss necks on most of them, I’m not sure if a satin neck is better or not but I preferred the satin on the Fender Player. 
I also tried the Fender and Squire back to back in the same shop and I am pretty sure the Fender was lighter. 
Also I could get a Fender player in the perfect colour which is obviously the most important factor. 😂😂

The quality of the Squiers was on a par though with the Fender. 

I bought my fender P bass for £650 delivered direct from Fender BTW. 

Edited by Minininjarob

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Pricing is insane on these atm. Most people seem to rate them as equal to MIM Fenders at twice the price.

I have seen plenty of evidence that cv's are as good if not better than MIM and USA builds especially the older MIJ cv's

• Like 1

On 25/02/2022 at 15:53, cetera said:

I tried one of these in Guitar Guitar yesterday..... played really nicely and sounded great. Really like the lake placid blue with blocks.... but also the black with blocks! Both look great....

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/220118379926025--squier-40th-anniversary-precision-bass-gold-edition-lake-placid

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/220118379927025--squier-40th-anniversary-precision-bass-gold-edition-black-india

Anyone else tried one/got one? Thoughts?

Got the jazz bass in a deep maroon colour with gold hardware and anodised pickguard. It looks stunning and plays and sounds great, well worth the money.

• Like 1

On 16/12/2022 at 17:47, Minininjarob said:

As a beginner I thought the Squires would be perfect for me. However what put me off was the gloss necks on most of them, I’m not sure if a satin neck is better or not but I preferred the satin on the Fender Player. 
I also tried the Fender and Squire back to back in the same shop and I am pretty sure the Fender was lighter. 
Also I could get a Fender player in the perfect colour which is obviously the most important factor. 😂😂

The quality of the Squiers was on a par though with the Fender. 

I bought my fender P bass for £650 delivered direct from Fender BTW. 

The Dakota red Squier has a satin finish all over. With aged (but not reliced) hardware I think it looks nicer than the glossy Fender 57.

I've got a fiesta red CV P bass from 09. Its a fender killer. I love it so much, I retired it from gigging duties. Its now strictly for home use, it's the bass that I'll keep forever!

Over the past ten years, I've had MIM, MIJ, MIA fenders, SBMM stingray, USA stingray and a Warwick thumb. They've all came and gone, none of them fit me like a glove like the CV which I understand is a highly personal thing.

For me, there is something very safe about cheaper basses. A lot less anxiety about having money tied up in an instrument that can devalue or get damaged or whatever. I just feel more free to enjoy playing music on it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Lake Placid blue P bass for Christmas.  My initial impressions are very good.  This is my first Squier.  I have two MIM Fenders and two MIM Charvels to compare it to.  all of my Mexican made basses have needed shielding and I was assuming this would be the case with the Squier too, but no.  No unwanted noise with this one.

The finish is superb.  The binding looks great and it makes the black dot fret markers really stand out.  The gold anodised pick guard looks classy and the other gold hardware and pearloid inlays really make this bass stand out.  The neck has a glossy finish, which some won't like but I'm fine with it.

A couple of minor negatives.  It is a bit neck divey but not enough to make me want to swap out the tuners (I have a good strap for it) the jack socket doesn't really hold the jack in as firmly as my other basses but as long as you wrap your lead behind the strap in use, it won't come out.

I have heard better split coil P pick ups.  Unusually for a P bass, I am adding a bit of low mid via my amp's EQ section.  However, the D and G strings sound great, better than my Charvel PJ4, which is my go to bass at the moment.  I could swap the pup for something better, but I could also just boost the low mids from my head or an EQ pedal, so I'm not sure whether to bother. I'll see how it is in use.

I would say this is a keeper.  I see no obvious signs it is inferior to a MIM Fender P bass and it looks gorgeous.

IMG_0530.jpg

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Pavlofill said:

Hello everyone!

As I discovered this Squire's have a DAddario strings from factory, isn't it?

What gauge?

Those are Fender strings rather than D'Addario (I see why you say that, but the ball ends are slightly different colours). Fender lists the gauge as being 045-105: https://www.fender.com/en-DE/40th-anniversary-precision-bass-gold-edition/0379430502.html

Edited by fergs40
Grammar! And spelling!
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello to all!

Just got the Black one, very nice bass, it's new but sounds good already!

I'm using a drop tuner my other basses and like to ask, is anybody knows what model of Hipshot or other can fit this 40 anniversary precision ( and Jazz as well as I understood) ?

Thanks!

On 05/02/2023 at 13:48, mario_buoninfante said:

Are they P basses?

Mexican standard P bass (2013). Fender Player Jazz, Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas PJ 4string and a Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas  5 string J bass (2xsingle coils).

Since I posted the above comment about the lack of shielding needed with my Squier, I have been noticing noise, but not much, not enough for me to spend an afternoon shielding it.

1 minute ago, BillyBass said:

Mexican standard P bass (2013). Fender Player Jazz, Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas PJ 4string and a Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas  5 string J bass (2xsingle coils).

Since I posted the above comment about the lack of shielding needed with my Squier, I have been noticing noise, but not much, not enough for me to spend an afternoon shielding it.

Interesting you get noise with P basses. Have you got to the bottom of it? Any noise source in your place? eg neon lights