Why become a member? ×

I really want to build a Deakey bass...where do I start?

Edenburgh

19 minutes ago, Edenburgh said:

Update : taking stock of the "don't defile the family heirloom" vibe from you good people, I've sourced the donor bass elsewhere!

A Highway One Precision - currently sunburst but hopefully won't cause too much consternation here with a black respray.l!

Still now to get all the gold bits but it's a TV logo with the truss adjustment at the body end.  Also I'm never going to be passing it off as something it isnt (e.g an Encore with a Fender Logo) - something that never sat well with me.

Further updates to follow...

PX211121377290001f.jpg

Phew! Well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shopping list...

Gold Strap locks - Schaller?

Gold Neck Plate - probably “F” stamped and in a black plastic tray?

Gold Neck Plate screws

Gold Machine Heads - Hipshot HB2 or Gotoh (might go Wilkinson if budget starts to get fried)

Black/White/Black Pickguard - ideally with the truss adjust notch

Gold Pickguard screws

Gold Knobs (from pictures they look like dome rather than flat top)

Gold Jack retaining nut & washer (if this even exists)

Gold Bridge - Schaller roller (I'm on it!)

Gold string retainer (square, not round)

Anything else?

Unless you are planning to do a DIY job with rattle cans it would probably be more cost effective to sell the sunburst highway 1 body and buy a black one from somewhere like Northwest guitars where a body already finished in black should be cheaper than a pro refinish: https://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/precision-bass-electric-guitar-body-2-piece-usa-alder-black-gloss/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Edenburgh said:

Shopping list...

Gold Strap locks - Schaller?

Gold Neck Plate - probably “F” stamped and in a black plastic tray?

Gold Neck Plate screws

Gold Machine Heads - Hipshot HB2 or Gotoh (might go Wilkinson if budget starts to get fried)

Black/White/Black Pickguard - ideally with the truss adjust notch

Gold Pickguard screws

Gold Knobs (from pictures they look like dome rather than flat top)

Gold Jack retaining nut & washer (if this even exists)

Gold Bridge - Schaller roller (I'm on it!)

Gold string retainer (square, not round)

Anything else?

The Wilkinson midels that look like the Gotoh FB30 are actually not bad at all for the money, better than those things they but on some cheaper  Fender models!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dood said:

The Wilkinson midels that look like the Gotoh FB30 are actually not bad at all for the money, better than those things they but on some cheaper  Fender models!

Yeah I have a Vintage (the JHS brand) fretless jazz loaded with Wilkinson hardware and it's not too shabby at all.

11 hours ago, Edenburgh said:

Yeah I have a Vintage (the JHS brand) fretless jazz loaded with Wilkinson hardware and it's not too shabby at all.

71GezOri67L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Wilkinson WJBL200 - I actually bought a big pile of gold hardware off a chap on FB ages ago as I was planning another P bass build, so I have a set waiting for the donor bass to arrive. Of course, they also come in chrome as well as black.

2 hours ago, la bam said:

I did a deacon build on a vintage v4 years ago and used all Wilkinson gold hardware. Looked and played great. In retro spec if I'd have dropped a set of solder less geezer pick ups in, it would have been a killer bass for about £350.

I happen to have a set of GZR's for my up and coming build! 

Hey all, happy weekend!

The feedback here has been great and thanks for all your input as it's really helped shape my thinking. 

I guess my thoughts have evolved since I started this thread.   

I started as " I want a Deaky bass, how should I do it?".

But now I've bought this Highway One and so my thoughts are, " How best to turn this Fender Bass into a Deakey Bass?"

I guess I'm now focussed on customising a John Deacon spec Fender P rather than trying to do a 'bitsa' (I mean absolutely no disrespect or snobbery towards bitsas whatsoever because ...uh oh I'm explaining which means I'm digging a hole)- right, I just want to do what I want to do which is take my newly acquired Fender Highway One Precision and customise it to be THAT bass.   

So I think there are some things I could do cheaper and some things I will decide to throw cash at.   

Don't know how that will shape up but will continue to seek help along the way.

Later dudes.

C.  

• Like 2

All gold shiny bits plus all the minor details (strap and blue picks) all now arrived. 

He doesn't know it yet but The Guitar Doc across the water is getting a call tomorrow for a request to be added to his waiting list for respray and assembly....

I'm already aware of the things that might not be right so far....three things at the headstock are bugging me :

1. Headstock Wood is too anaemic, needs a vintage tint.

2. Need the patent numbers on a decal under the Fender logo.

3. The string retainer is round.  It should be square but I cannot find one in UK for sale.

Next update will be after the respray.  If you think I've missed anything please shout.

PXL_20220304_225451726.jpg

I am very much enjoying this thread! I am looking forward to seeing it completed. I'm chomping at the bit waiting for my donor bass to arrive. It's in a container somewhere in the middle of the sea right now I guess!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hey all, been quiet as the bass has now been away for 4 weeks getting the full treatment and I thought I would share the update that I've received...

It's in the final stages now, the lacquer has had a week to fully dry and been polished up.  The frets have also been tidied up.

There's been a wee snag with the tuners...they don't quite fit - too tight.  Rather than buy new tuners, there's going to be 0.5mm filed off the edges then a lacquer applied to seal to avoid oxidisation.  It was either that or new machine heads.  The pictures show the problem.   Hopefully be able to share the final result soon.

IMG_20220403_163627.jpg

IMG_20220403_163631.jpg

Edited by Edenburgh