Why become a member? ×

Another random venue query...

Jakester

Following on from my random query about PL cover, I've also been asked by this particular venue to sign up to T&Cs which mean we have to provide a set list of all tunes that we intend to play before we start, and pay the "PRS levy" (whatever that is).

Now, the thing I'm trying to organise is a jazz jam night - so to a greater extent there's no way to tell exactly what tunes will be performed. 

In the 25+ years I've been playing live music we've never once been asked for a set list for PRS purposes. I don't really have any issues with it save that I can't see how we can confirm what is going to be played in advance of it actually being called. 

Secondly, does anyone know what the "PRS levy" referred to is? I presume it's that proportion of the venue's PRS licence fee for that event, but again I've not come across the performer/event being asked to reimburse the venue for their PRS costs. 

For ticketed events the venue/promoter must pay PRS a percentage of box office takings from the event to be paid to the composers/publishers of the songs performed on the night/at the event (hence the need to provide detailed setlists).

A normal venue will do this every night with its gigs...... but sometimes when using an outside Promoter they will pass this to them to cover.

• Like 1

A PRS Levy sounds an awful lot like an unofficial tax that the venue is charging you ... best bet is that it will disappear straight into the venue manager's pocket.

I've taken part in many, many jam nights at many, many venues, even organised a few myself. Nobody has ever even mentioned PRS, because it's the venue's liability to pay it.

Best estimate? This is a blatant scam.

12 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Best estimate? This is a blatant scam

Hmm, I'm steering slightly clear of this conclusion at present. 

I *think* it's because this is a new venture for the company managing this particular venue - before, they've done theatre only (AFAIK) and for a theatrical production the whole set list and levy idea makes sense, but less so for live music. 

23 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

Organising a Jam Night?

So any money changing hands?

The venue makes money by dint of musicians giving their services free of charge and then expects you to pay their PRS liabilty?

Nice.......

Well, no. I hire the venue for a fixed fee, they supply facilities, PA, a bar and staff it (and keep any drinks) and we keep any proceeds from the door and hopefully make enough to cover hire costs and pay something to the house band . At least, that is the model currently under discussion. 

Edited by Jakester
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jakester said:

Well, no. I hire the venue for a fixed fee, they supply facilities, PA, a bar and staff it (and keep any drinks) and we keep any proceeds from the door and hopefully make enough to cover hire costs and pay something to the house band . At least, that is the model currently under discussion. 

ah ok sorry, not like my jam night down the dog n duck!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

ah ok sorry, not like my jam night down the dog n duck!

Well, I don't really know TBH! From the reaction I'm getting locally to floating the idea there's a demand there, so I'm hoping we can get enough punters in to try and make a real go of it and cover our (i.e. my!) costs.

I assume as you are now the event organiser and keeping any door proceeds, they expect you to cover the evenings portion of the PRS cost. 

How much that cost is and how they work it out is the next interesting bit. 

I think I'd be telling them to jog on if they were to expect me as a performer to start covering their financial commitments as a venue.  When I go and work somewhere the idea is they pay me and not the other way around.

Setlist is no problem, occasionally we get asked for a copy.

I used to play a lunchtime set at a cafe in a shopping centre, and remember a fella representing PRS coming in and asking for a set list a couple of times. IIRC he was a musician who worked for them part time. As far as I know we didn’t get hit for any payment, although the cafe owner maybe did. 

In my current band we play theatres who always ask for set lists, and we have to pay PRS on every gig. 

I'll say it again. The venue is responsible for paying a percentage of box office to PRS on ticketed events. If you are hiring the venue/acting as Promoter etc is is quite possible that as you are handling the financial side, they are expecting you to cover the evening's PRS cost. Whether you agree to that or not is between you and the venue. It's not a 'tax', it's standard practice at any venue that has regularly ticketed events and the money goes towards paying out set lists.

• Like 1

From what I remember from my music business degree. It’s a standard 3% fee of box office takings. Even bands like U2 and Coldplay get charged (indirectly) but get it back from PRS (minus costs/admin fees etc). *Not exactly correct but you get the gist.