Why become a member? ×

Public liability cover as a promoter

Jakester

I'm in the process of organising a monthly jam night, and the venue has asked for PL insurance. 

I'm a member of the MU so benefit from their insurance which includes PL cover. However, I daresay that may only extend to cover situations where I am performing and incidents which arise from that (though I will also be performing - or, at least, that's the plan!). 

Has anyone had any experience of a broader PL cover for individuals/bands also acting as promoters, and if so, any recommendations for companies/brokers to approach etc?

Yes, I was a bit confused as I’d have thought it would be the venue’s cover most claims would fall under, and only specifically performance related stuff (eg speaker falling on someone or guitarist spearing someone with their headstock) would fall under the performer’s cover. 

My broker explained it to me. Basic tenet of insurance is a risk can only ever be covered by one policy. It follows from the essential nature that the same risk cannot be insured twice by two parties.

If your gear falling on punters is covered by MU your problem seems to be they want you to be responsible for the actions of their punters on their stage and any other paid subcontractors you bring along.

If the venue wants the bands and promoters to have PLI it's because the venues insurance only covers the venue's liability, and won't cover any cases arising from the bands or promoters.

Basically if they don't insure bands and promoters their insurance is cheaper.

• Like 1