Why become a member? ×

Back Pain

Twunkbass

One thing that a twin strap or harness can resolve is the asymmetry caused by a conventional strap. It puts all the load on one shoulder, which causes your spine to bend sideways. This can trigger an S-shaped curve lower down the spine, and if your lumbar area is weak or vulnerable it doesn't take much to mess it up.

As for building up core strength, for the love of Dog go to someone to teach you how to do it properly. Doesn't matter if it's yoga, pilates, swimming, gym, physio, whatever it is make sure there is a trained person to a) tell you what to do (and not do), and b) watch you do it so they can fix any technique issues. Doing the perfect exercises in the wrong way can be worse than doing nothing.

• 1 year later...

My back has gone again big time. I crushed a disc and popped out another a few years ago. Long story there but I recovered enough to get on again eventually. 

Two weeks ago I stupidly helped our builder carry a heavy window into our house that had just been delivered (when I say delivered, I mean that it was abandoned in the road on a pallet therfore blocking our narrow street completely). Totally did myself a good one - my mind is younger and more daring than my body can deal with now. Lesson learned. 

Spent a week doing my physio routine from way back again and felt like I was doing great...until rehearsal 2 days ago. Boom, back to square one by the time I got home. 

It seems that even though my bass isn't heavy (my yammy weighs no more than 8 1/2 lbs), just standing up for 3 hours is too much right now. Feeling quite despondent about it all to be honest. It's summer hols and my kids want me to play but I can't...

It's going to be a long mission to hopefully get back to where I was just a fortnight ago. Bit afraid that, because I'm older now (51), I might not.

Sorry for the too much info dump there. My glass is usually at least half full but pain is a right pain!

Anyone here been through the same and managed to get back on their feet?

Could do with a silverfox super comeback success story...🤞

I injured my back in my 20s, it seemed to recover but in my thirties I messed up my left leg pretty badly and the imbalance from that brought the back problems back. 20 years on it's a matter of managing it rather than fixing it. Regular exercise definitely helps - walking and Pilates. When it was particularly bad I bought a Höfner violin bass - they're only about 4lbs, but still have a fat bass sound, and a GR Bass graphite cab - also very lightweight. I have a decent stool and have used on stage, and I've had to learn to ask for help from band members with lifting stuff - hard as I have an independent streak and prefer to struggle on if I can. But keeping going does help - my mood can drop quite low if my back goes, often the best thing for me is to keep going as best I can.

There are some great 6-7lb basses out there, some very effective straps, some great 5lb amps, some really great 20lb cabs and some excellent folding trolleys. If all else fails checkout Mbrace guitar stands or just grab a bar stool.

• Thanks 1

I’ve suffered this year, did my lower back in at work in Feb so it made a nice marriage with my permanent upper back/shoulder injury - not!

I had to leave a band I was playing guitar in as the amount of gear & setting up was beyond me, especially leaning over to place cables & plug leads into amps/cabs etc.

Decided to try short scale basses and they’ve enabled me to continue to play bass in bands. As well as being lighter due to the playing position the centre of gravity is different - more central to the core of the body - so I’m well pleased, my back still gives me grief but it’s getting better. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve suffered this year, did my lower back in at work in Feb so it made a nice marriage with my permanent upper back/shoulder injury - not!

I had to leave a band I was playing guitar in as the amount of gear & setting up was beyond me, especially leaning over to place cables & plug leads into amps/cabs etc.

Decided to try short scale basses and they’ve enabled me to continue to play bass in bands. As well as being lighter due to the playing position the centre of gravity is different - more central to the core of the body - so I’m well pleased, my back still gives me grief but it’s getting better. 

That's great to hear! I hope you continue to improve too 🙏

I've told the guys and girls that I've been rehearsing with that I'm not going to continue with the project. They are friends from bands long past and are just getting back into it themselves with some gigs lined up and are working hard at it. It's only fair on them and they understand. Another pal is taking over bass duties. 

I may indeed try some shortscales out later on but for now I need to get my health sorted, focusing on losing a few stone and strengthening my core again...

Cheers 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @miles'tone, hope you get some progress on the health & back. As @Rosie C says walking is good, my osteopath advised it so I go to the gym a few times a week, 30mins on the treadmill only, nothing else and I’m feeling the improvement, def worth a try (but only if advised by whoever treats you of course).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, miles'tone said:

focusing on losing a few stone

That's going to make a lot more difference than having a bass that's 3lbs lighter.

It's like the cycling guys I know who spend thousands of pounds on bikes to save ounces when the real problem is the weight of the rider. 

There's a good thread here:

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/470354-weight-lossattempting-to-be-healthy-thread/

Edited by TimR
  • Thanks 1

I’ve injured myself in a variety of ways in the past, back, legs, shoulders, wrists. You name it, I’ve hurt it! 

I used to do obstacle races loads and did thai boxing. 

One of my Thai coaches suggested i try something called Kinetic chain release when I’d gubbed my knee at tough mudder. Physio wasn’t helping and I was getting low (emotionally… I couldn’t even bend my knee to use the bog!)

Gave it a shot and it was night and day. I have no idea how it works or why. But it’s helped when I’ve broken myself. I still call the person who does it my witch doctor. I should add, I am not spiritual in the slightest.

She had helped with loads of other conditions (sciatica etc) that people I knew had. 

I think there are practitioners everywhere, I would certainly give it a look!