Why become a member? ×

Are you a 4 or a 5 string player?

GreeneKing

Here's hoping my poll set up is okay. Edited to add, I think I got there, in the end.

I'm wondering whether or not most bassists now play 5 stringers or whether 4 string players are still in the majority. What I'm really trying to establish is whether the 5 string has taken over (yet).

So the poll is asking you what you consider yourself to be, regardless of what you actually own.

If it's been done before (I'd have expected it to be done before) and a while ago then this can be an updated poll to establish the state of play.

Peter - a 4 string bassist till I die

Edited by GreeneKing

4 all the way for me. None of me heroes have 'em, none of me favourite bands have 'em and as Silverfoxnik will tell you - I don't have the ability for them.

Nik - just 'teaching' my neighbours how to play Levitation by Hawkwind through your 1x15. It is an 1100w driver isn't it?

4 for me. Always.

Everytime I see a 5 string player, his/her hand is in the same position as it would be for me playing a 4 and the B is mostly redundent.

I've got more interest in a 6+ than I have a 5. A 5 looks unbalanced and for the added agro it is to play its not worth it for a note most people can't hear in a live situation.

I just love the symmetry and balance of a 4.

Both since Saturday, when I picked up aj5string's lovely Fortress 5 fretless. But I consider myself a four-stringer.

BTW, to all, the 4 stringers out there, try playing a 5 or 6, especially fretless, exclusively for a few days (don't even look at a 4 string), then go back to your trusty 4 string. It will feel like a banjo and you'll feel like a king :)

My main gigging bass is a 5 but I like to take the 4 out whenever I'm going to a jam or backing a vocalist.

I think the number of strings isn't so much of an issue (but I get that that's not what your poll is about). Give most people on the forum a bass with just an E-string and an A-string and they'd manage just fine.

[quote name='The Funk' post='456610' date='Apr 7 2009, 05:30 PM']I think the number of strings isn't so much of an issue (but I get that that's not what your poll is about). Give most people on the forum a bass with just an E-string and an A-string and they'd manage just fine.[/quote]
yep +10000

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='456600' date='Apr 7 2009, 05:26 PM']Everytime I see a 5 string player, his/her hand is in the same position as it would be for me playing a 4 and the B is mostly redundent.[/quote]

I recently explained this (about myself) in another thread. I have trained myself to sit my hand like that so I can go back to my four string bass(es) without needing to relearn each time. I think that's why I've done it anyway!

The low B certainly isn't redundant at all!

If this poll had been 3 months ago I would have said 6, but have recently gone back to 4. Wasn't making the most of the 6, and now enyoying the "limitations" of the 4 even more. Should I sell my 6 string, or hang on just in case the urge strikes again?

Never played 5 strings.

Good poll.

[quote name='bootleg' post='456628' date='Apr 7 2009, 05:45 PM']If this poll had been 3 months ago I would have said 6, but have recently gone back to 4. Wasn't making the most of the 6, and now enyoying the "limitations" of the 4 even more. Should I sell my 6 string, or hang on just in case the urge strikes again?

Never played 5 strings.

Good poll.[/quote]
Keep it,Low Bs are fun.