Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

21 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

My 'B-Stock' ABM EVO IV 600 was delivered today. I've given it the once-over and despite it costing well below half the RRP, it is in near-pristine condition, it was just lacking the original packaging & manual. I have registered it with Ashdown so it has a five year warranty (nice).

Register you say? Hmm.. I didn't know about that one!

2 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

My 'B-Stock' ABM EVO IV 600 was delivered today. I've given it the once-over and despite it costing well below half the RRP, it is in near-pristine condition, it was just lacking the original packaging & manual. I have registered it with Ashdown so it has a five year warranty (nice).

To help keep it looking good I have ordered a roqsolid cover.

I connected the ABM to my Schroeder 1212L and plugged in one of my thunderbird vintage pros, and once I worked out what all the knobs do I can see why these amps are so well regarded. I even like the built-in compressor & valve drive.

Welcome to the ABM club 👍

Auditioned a guitarist last night, using my very old ABM500EVO RC, which I’ve recently dragged out of hibernation and been playing about with. Gigged it last weekend with my Sire V7 active jazz and Barefaced Big Twin 2, which was great, ditched some of my pedals and just took my Lomenzo Hyperdrive pedal. Same amp, cab and pedal last night, but got to try it with my Yamaha Attitude Ltd 2, which I’ve just had the new DiMarzio Relentless pickup installed in. Sounded really fat. I didn’t have much time to tweak and play around with it, as we were auditioning someone. I pretty much always have the drive pedal engaged, but a couple of times last night I switched it off and just had the valve drive up around 1 o clock. Nice thick, warm sound. I love my EBS amp, but it’s a very clean, hifi tone, and as I’m doing predominantly rock covers stuff at the moment, the thickness of the ABM sound just seems to work. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ern500evo said:

Auditioned a guitarist last night, using my very old ABM500EVO RC, which I’ve recently dragged out of hibernation and been playing about with. Gigged it last weekend with my Sire V7 active jazz and Barefaced Big Twin 2, which was great, ditched some of my pedals and just took my Lomenzo Hyperdrive pedal. Same amp, cab and pedal last night, but got to try it with my Yamaha Attitude Ltd 2, which I’ve just had the new DiMarzio Relentless pickup installed in. Sounded really fat. I didn’t have much time to tweak and play around with it, as we were auditioning someone. I pretty much always have the drive pedal engaged, but a couple of times last night I switched it off and just had the valve drive up around 1 o clock. Nice thick, warm sound. I love my EBS amp, but it’s a very clean, hifi tone, and as I’m doing predominantly rock covers stuff at the moment, the thickness of the ABM sound just seems to work. 

Lovely to see another Hyperdrive user. Such a great pedal once you know how to dial it in. I remember the frustration I had with it when I got it, which led to selling it. About a week later, Ashdown released the video of James Lomenzo detailing how he used it and dialed it in, and I HAD to get another one.

Really should start bringing my little pedalboard back, but not needed much in a ska band!

• Like 1

Yeh, lets not discuss the possible sale of items or tacitly offer items for sale in the forum as its against the rules* and we have forums for those! Obviously if you want to message each other about it thats fine but if a mod sees it you could get a warning.

* unless you are a supporting member, when it is just not recommended.

2 hours ago, BruceBass3901 said:

Lovely to see another Hyperdrive user. Such a great pedal once you know how to dial it in. I remember the frustration I had with it when I got it, which led to selling it. About a week later, Ashdown released the video of James Lomenzo detailing how he used it and dialed it in, and I HAD to get another one.

Really should start bringing my little pedalboard back, but not needed much in a ska band!

That video is really useful. The first tone he gets, the one he describes as ‘just a bit of a crack on top the string sound’ is so good! There was a discussion on a other thread about these pedals recently, and everyone was pretty much of the same opinion, that if Ashdown re-launched this pedal in a smaller form factor, it would sell really well. 

22 minutes ago, ern500evo said:

That video is really useful. The first tone he gets, the one he describes as ‘just a bit of a crack on top the string sound’ is so good! There was a discussion on a other thread about these pedals recently, and everyone was pretty much of the same opinion, that if Ashdown re-launched this pedal in a smaller form factor, it would sell really well. 

Absolutely agree. We can but hope! Or rip one apart and clone it...

• Like 1

There's no benefit in having the the anniversary edition over a new EVO IV. It is probably aimed at collectors and isn't likely to be taken out for a gig down the dog & duck. Maybe there are collectors who like to amass these things, but its not the kind of thing I'd be interested in. On the other hand maybe the 'Made in England' aspect would appeal to the kind of people who fly a St George's flag outside their house even when there isn't a football tournament on.

1 hour ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

There's no benefit in having the the anniversary edition over a new EVO IV. It is probably aimed at collectors and isn't likely to be taken out for a gig down the dog & duck. Maybe there are collectors who like to amass these things, but its not the kind of thing I'd be interested in. On the other hand maybe the 'Made in England' aspect would appeal to the kind of people who fly a St George's flag outside their house even when there isn't a football tournament on.

I personally believe that there is nothing wrong in being supportive of your own country. We have fantastic engineers and manufacturers here. Ashdown, Barefacef, Status, etc

It doesn’t automatically make you a racist to want to support these talented people. Just my 2 cents/Pennies!

• Like 4

Agree, nowt wrong with supporting home grown businesses, but for me I’d be wanting something “extra” if the price was more than a comparable item manufactured elsewhere. Dr Martens spring to mind, their UK made boots are of a much better quality than the overseas made ones - with a price tag to reflect this of course.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bagman said:

25th Anniversary ABM-400 Limited Edition

Anyone keen?

Yes...

I bought one about 3 weeks ago and unfortunately had to send it back.

With the Line6 wireless unit I had it hummed like crazy. 

Took it out to a gig and had to use a backup amp it was so bad. 

Unfortunately I had to send it back the next day for a refund.

Very disappointed ☹️

5 minutes ago, spyder said:

Yes...

I bought one about 3 weeks ago and unfortunately had to send it back.

With the Line6 wireless unit I had it hummed like crazy. 

Took it out to a gig and had to use a backup amp it was so bad. 

Unfortunately I had to send it back the next day for a refund.

Very disappointed ☹️

That’s disappointing and I bet Ashdown would of put that right

I use wireless with my ABM600 and it’s excellent 

10 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

That’s disappointing and I bet Ashdown would of put that right

I use wireless with my ABM600 and it’s excellent 

I tried the wireless unit with my Ashdown 22 and a Bergantino B/amp and there was no interference. Only happen with the ABM 400?

Edited by spyder

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Agree, nowt wrong with supporting home grown businesses, but for me I’d be wanting something “extra” if the price was more than a comparable item manufactured elsewhere. Dr Martens spring to mind, their UK made boots are of a much better quality than the overseas made ones - with a price tag to reflect this of course.

Or the other ones, the ones they now make overseas fall apart quickly and make you think 'oh it is a waste of money buying Dr Martens'

5 hours ago, pbasspecial said:

I personally believe that there is nothing wrong in being supportive of your own country. We have fantastic engineers and manufacturers here. Ashdown, Barefacef, Status, etc

It doesn’t automatically make you a racist to want to support these talented people. Just my 2 cents/Pennies!

No one said anything to suggest that owners of these amps would be racist, so I don't know where that came from. Also surely buying PRC-made Ashdown products is also supporting this great British company.

5 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Dr Martens spring to mind, their UK made boots are of a much better quality than the overseas made ones - with a price tag to reflect this of course.

Try Solovair - Like buying a pair of 70's DM's. I think they bought the original  plant or something 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, NAS Bass said:

Try Solovair - Like buying a pair of 70's DM's. I think they bought the original  plant or something 

I believe it is one of the original factories. I've had my Solovair 12 years and they are still bullet proof.  Top quality and money well spent. 

• Like 1