Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

8 minutes ago, Clarky said:

I just picked up an ABM 500 from the forum (uK manufactured rackmount version). Any advice for settings to get a warm-but-not-gritty overdriven sound for old school blues rock? Obviously I can play around and use my ears ... but there are so many variables in the controls, I thought I would just ask here first for a short cut!

PS, on first play around the overdrive doesn't seem to drive very much at all, but it may be that I need to balance it with input and gain settings?

Crank the input gain (don’t worry about the Vu meter; ignore it in fact), crank the valve. If it’s a 500 that means the valve adds a bit of a nice harmonic warmth and not a huge amount of dirt, but IMO it does what it does perfectly.

Preshape button IN (opposite of what you’d expect)

Boost the low mids

Give that a whirl :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Clarky said:

I just picked up an ABM 500 from the forum (uK manufactured rackmount version). Any advice for settings to get a warm-but-not-gritty overdriven sound for old school blues rock? Obviously I can play around and use my ears ... but there are so many variables in the controls, I thought I would just ask here first for a short cut!

PS, on first play around the overdrive doesn't seem to drive very much at all, but it may be that I need to balance it with input and gain settings?

Yes the drive is influenced by input gain levels etc. 

Congrats on the new amp Clarky, as others have said push the input gain and don’t be wary of making what look like huge adjustments on the eq. I find that the core sound of the ABMs is quite flat and non-awe-inspiring, but making big adjustments really opens it up and lets it be shaped nicely.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Merton said:

FWIW this is roughly my EQ/valve settings on an ABM500 and I reckon the tone you’ve described is the sort of thing I go for too:

75D329EE-E572-4631-90F2-A7AD59731D29.thumb.jpeg.8a1ad8282cb41a81caa22e9159ef0252.jpeg

Wowzers, very different to my settings. Will have to give this a try! What bass are you using through that?

1 minute ago, uk_lefty said:

Wowzers, very different to my settings. Will have to give this a try! What bass are you using through that?

TBH I think the mids are cut a bit more there than normal! Bass is essentially a jazz bass :)

• Like 1

Sorry if this has been covered before.... How is everyone transporting their ABMs? Is there a case that works for them? Obviously they're hefty units but I do worry about transporting it in my mini where I can't wedge it between two speaker cabs.

Aside from when we toured and I had it in a flight case in the back of the van I just used a Roq Solid cover when it was in the boot/load space of a car. Never any problems as they’re heavy enough to stop them rolling around.

On 01/07/2022 at 18:49, Merton said:

FWIW this is roughly my EQ/valve settings on an ABM500 and I reckon the tone you’ve described is the sort of thing I go for too:

75D329EE-E572-4631-90F2-A7AD59731D29.thumb.jpeg.8a1ad8282cb41a81caa22e9159ef0252.jpeg

This setting works a treat (in fact I cranked the input a litttle more than you have). Many thanks!

First impressions: I like the tonal range and OD (which together make it more adjustable than my Orange TB500). The fans are not as intrusive as I had been led to expect, significantly quieter than some other amps I have owned (eg Mesa). Now I just need to gig it to see if it delivers the promised H* word.

*heft

• Like 1

Speaking of the H word, for the first time with my ABM600 I was distinctly unimpressed last night.  600 EVO IV in to Barefaced 610.   Was a largeish village hall, with a good proper stage. I found I had to get the ABM to the three quarters volume position and reallly up the bass eq to make any impact in the hall and even then, there was no heft, was very thin and tinny.  I probably found the absolute limitations of this rig volume and heft wise before needing the support of the PA, so raher disappointed. Need a good gig with this now to restore my faith in it. 

25 minutes ago, Muppet said:

Speaking of the H word, for the first time with my ABM600 I was distinctly unimpressed last night.  600 EVO IV in to Barefaced 610.   Was a largeish village hall, with a good proper stage. I found I had to get the ABM to the three quarters volume position and reallly up the bass eq to make any impact in the hall and even then, there was no heft, was very thin and tinny.  I probably found the absolute limitations of this rig volume and heft wise before needing the support of the PA, so raher disappointed. Need a good gig with this now to restore my faith in it. 

That’s very surprising and I can understand your disappointment- that rig should be tearing down walls! Fingers crossed you’ve got another gig soon to restores your faith like you say 🤘🏻

9 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I had a gig when I was getting no power through, but it turns out that there was something wrong with my pedalboard, the VU meter wasn't even moving. 

Yeah I thought this too, but the VU was showing a healthy input. Just the output is disappointing. I'm hoping it was just a dodgy venue...! 

I played a hall ( approx 100 people ) no PA support and using my ABM600 and two 210H cabs I was very loud ( master volume around 11o clock 

With this it was a very powerful full sound ( cabs are great ) and loud 

Not sure how much louder the head would go but it didn’t disappoint for a second.

I found that with the EQ off etc = lifeless under powered sound, Shape Out = a buried woolly sound 

Getting the right EQ and having a high input gain seems to work 

5 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

I played a hall ( approx 100 people ) no PA support and using my ABM600 and two 210H cabs I was very loud ( master volume around 11o clock 

With this it was a very powerful full sound ( cabs are great ) and loud 

Not sure how much louder the head would go but it didn’t disappoint for a second.

I found that with the EQ off etc = lifeless under powered sound, Shape Out = a buried woolly sound 

Getting the right EQ and having a high input gain seems to work 

Pushing 1 button in or out can Completely change perceived volume projection. 

Definitely shape off (pushed in) to cut through a mix - in a rock band environment anyway.

I did find that you'll lose some volume if you use the onboard compressor

And make sure the input gain is cranked & occasionally peaking in the red.

I didn't really like barefaced 10 cabs with my ABM - I much prefer the Ashdown 15 cabs I have instead  - although many would disagree I'm sure

12 minutes ago, alexa3020 said:

Definitely shape off (pushed in) to cut through a mix - in a rock band environment anyway.

I did find that you'll lose some volume if you use the onboard compressor

And make sure the input gain is cranked & occasionally peaking in the red.

I didn't really like barefaced 10 cabs with my ABM - I much prefer the Ashdown 15 cabs I have instead  - although many would disagree I'm sure

Yes definitely agree onboard compressor drops volume ( it’s not great either ) 

And as already suggested get that input VU needle hitting the red on occasion ( massive difference in volume ) 

That is very surprising. I gigged my very early ABM500 and MAG810 for for quite a few years in venues of varying sizes, and never got anywhere near 3/4 volume on the master, and I would imagine that the Barefaced 610 is far far superior to a MAG810 cab. 

13 minutes ago, ern500evo said:

That is very surprising. I gigged my very early ABM500 and MAG810 for for quite a few years in venues of varying sizes, and never got anywhere near 3/4 volume on the master, and I would imagine that the Barefaced 610 is far far superior to a MAG810 cab. 

It is best not to assume anything about amps or cabs in my experience.