Why become a member? ×

NBD: Ibanez Roadster RS-924

NancyJohnson

A long time ago, in a town not too far from me...

My first proper original bass was an Ibanez Roadster RS-924, from memory it cost me about £180.00 from FD&H Music on Charing Cross Road and we parted ways when I either sold it on or part-exchanged it against a Travis Bean 2000 (£375, somewhere in Lewisham).

I'd got fond memories of it, here's me, early 80s:

20210211_140531.thumb.jpg.c4cedcefb032836c376c6987f30fa7e1.jpg

You may have seen Chris @umcoo posting about restoring this baby - my heart did a little flutter and I kind of fell in love again.

eUoGlYg.jpeg

I don't actually know what I want to do with it yet.  I'm never going to be able to find an original pre-amp fot it, so I suspect I'll fill the holes and stick a John East in there and some complimentary pickups.  The body is a bit rough, so I'll get it refinished; I prefer a black bass, so probably black.  Neck looks fine.

I have enough on my plate at the moment, so there's not going to be any updates in the short term.  I may start over Christmas.

Edited by NancyJohnson
Spelling, innit.
  • Like 13

• NancyJohnson changed the title to NBD: Ibanez Roadster RS-924
Just now, TheGreek said:

There was a set of pick ups on eBay recently - quick look but can't find them...

I've been looking too.

Earlier I was trying to work out whether the differences between the RS824 and RS924 where just purely the active circuit.  The knobs on both seem to be in the same places but the 924 has an extra switch on the front for the actives.

I've seen these with cream pickup covers and black ones...right now, as I'm thinking about finish colours, a mate of mine has suggest a black/metal flake with matching headstock, it this was the case, I'd go with black covers (or large pole-piece Delanos) and chrome knobs.  I'd need to procure a replacement decal and also get a truss rod cover made up.

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I've been looking too.

Earlier I was trying to work out whether the differences between the RS824 and RS924 where just purely the active circuit.  The knobs on both seem to be in the same places but the 924 has an extra switch on the front for the actives.

The 924 is v & t (both pickups), 3-way selector. active on/off, then bass boost/cut & treble boost/cut. I prefer the passive tone but the inability to blend pickups makes it a bit inflexible. The 824's v/t, v/t & selector.

Nice quality trcs can be had from https://reproguitarparts.com/ in the States. I had one for a Musician & you would need to examine it through a magnifying glass to know it wasn't genuine.

• Like 1

I stripped the hardware off the body last night, stick the bridge in the dishwasher, it's come out super shiny.

Started sanding; the finish is very thin, I got most of the front finish off with 60 grit in about five minutes.  The top has nice grain and I'm thinking about just going with a few couple of layers of black Feblings leather dye (which should define the grain) and a satin clear coat.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Very nice! If that's a factory fretless, that would make it an RS940 :)

Well it’s certainly a factory fretless, I’ll check the original hang tag and let you know 😉

Little update.

Body is fully stripped.  It's a three-piece, the back gives nothing away but the front is nicely matched. 

The only worrysome thing is there's a small split in the jointing near the bridge/control cavity, so I'll dribble some superglue over it and rub any excess back.  Some other small superficial dings that I'll try and rub back.

Electrics?  I'd like to put some Delano's in...the ones with the bigger polepieces.  There's six holes and a side-jack.  I generally play with everything open, so maybe a pickup selector switch >  master volume > Darkglass Tone Cap.  This will allow me to dowel/lose the smallest hole on the front.  Dunlop Straploks.

Definitely going with a black stain and clear coat.

20211113_112830.thumb.jpg.9211b9e217626cd47b3594922f59e903.jpg

20211113_112849.thumb.jpg.88aec275e12f01c18786d26f6dc195fc.jpg

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

My old 924 had an additional hole, on top of those drilled in the factory. Rather than try to hide it, they always look terrible, I installed a series/parallel switch which added a useful tonal option.

I think I'm fortunate that the smallest hole - which used to be for switching the active circuit on - is plumb centre of a piece of the wood grain, so with luck it won't be so visible.

Update.

Put a dowel in the hole, sanded back, it's lovely and smooth.  New batch of Leather Dye arrived about half hour ago, so I've blacked it up and rubbed back any excess.  Went on lovely.

I'll let this dry up overnight, give it a light sand and reapply.  The photo doesn't really do it justice, it's a nice body.

20211115_164524.thumb.jpg.2643d51d1b830918fc3f1d85661709de.jpg

• Like 7

On 13/11/2021 at 11:46, NancyJohnson said:

Some other small superficial dings that I'll try and rub back.

If they aren't too deep you could try the old damp cloth and iron trick and steam them out. It's worked beautifully for me in the past on a body I refinished with a few dings in it. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Update.

Put a dowel in the hole, sanded back, it's lovely and smooth.  New batch of Leather Dye arrived about half hour ago, so I've blacked it up and rubbed back any excess.  Went on lovely.

I'll let this dry up overnight, give it a light sand and reapply.  The photo doesn't really do it justice, it's a nice body.

20211115_164524.thumb.jpg.2643d51d1b830918fc3f1d85661709de.jpg

Are you going to go for a gloss or satin finish?

On 11/11/2021 at 20:19, TheGreek said:

was on my watchlist... was going to bid... 

then my 3 year old had a meltdown and at one point bit me. 
"did you bite me?"
"no my sister did" 
"your sister was in a different room"
"no she bit you" 
"She's also 6 months old, and only has one tooth!"

And I missed the auction. :( 

• Haha 3