Why become a member? ×

VAT/import duties payable on secondhand imports?

solo4652

[quote name='solo4652' post='453003' date='Apr 3 2009, 09:42 AM']If I buy a used bass off ebay from the USA from a private individual (not a shop), will I need to pay VAT and/or import duties, please? If so, aproximately how much is this likely to be?

Steve[/quote]

Yes, you will need to pay VAT and/or Customs Duty depending on the value of the item.

See [url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:buying:importing_gear"]http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:buying:importing_gear[/url]

[quote name='BigRedX' post='453183' date='Apr 3 2009, 11:51 AM']You don't always pay import duty as there's a threshold below which HMR&C don't bother, but if you allow for it then there's no nasty surprises.[/quote]

+1

Correct - as explained in the wiki article - "Customs duty will be waived if the amount (of Customs Duty) is less than £7."

If the sale is from a private individual, and not a shop, like you said, you can get them to send it as a gift.

If the item is sent as a gift, you should get around the customs charges.

There's always getting them to send it as a lower value package (but insure it for what it's worth).

[quote name='Skybone' post='453318' date='Apr 3 2009, 01:10 PM']If the sale is from a private individual, and not a shop, like you said, you can get them to send it as a gift.

There's always getting them to send it as a lower value package (but insure it for what it's worth).[/quote]

This is completely wrong unless your bass plus shipping come to under £36, the VAT threshold for items marked gift (it's £18 for items not marked gift).

[quote name='Skybone' post='453318' date='Apr 3 2009, 01:10 PM']If the sale is from a private individual, and not a shop, like you said, you can get them to send it as a gift.

There's always getting them to send it as a lower value package (but insure it for what it's worth).[/quote]

Wrong. As explained above.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='453327' date='Apr 3 2009, 01:16 PM']This is completely wrong unless your bass plus shipping come to under £36, the VAT threshold for items marked gift (it's £18 for items not marked gift).[/quote]

I had a neck with a total value (inc. shipping) of about £75 sent to me from the US with no customs charge. The box was marked as "gift" and the value was put as something like $30. I'm not sure about the legality of this, and I didn't ask for this to happen, but I appreciated dodging the customs charge.

I once had a tele body sent from the states and, unrequested, the guy marked it "Product sample" then told me he'd done this to save me the customs. Whether this counts for anything, I don't know. But I didn't pay any duty or VAT that time.

OTOH, it's not worth shaving the stated value to get it in under the gift limit, as any uninsured damage or loss is going to outweigh the saving.

My dad died in Australia when on holiday some years back. When I had his stuff sent home the HMC&I sent me a huge bill for VAT and import duty. I kid you not. I had to pay it then go through all sorts of crap to get the money back.