Why become a member? ×

New UNICORN bass in the pipeline...

bassmayhem

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 18/09/2021 at 19:34, Reissueplayer said:

It’s nice to see these getting some attention. I have had three Unicorn basses, a five string Artist, the sister bass of the Mark King bass and an Ozellman four string passive (which I still have and play). The necks have purpleheart wood in them, which makes them incredibly stable, without carbon fibre reinforcement. The attention to detail in the builds is staggering. I think they look the best with two humbuckers.

The Artist five string was a 32 inch scale, but the B-string was stable and defined, probably better than other 5s I’ve tried. The scale/tension relationship you expect, doesn’t apply here. Also, the action can get ridiculously low on these, which makes them feel responsive and have a fast attack.

I’m keeping my Ozellman. For some reason it plays and sounds exactly right on recordings. I would encorage anyone to check them out.

Do you have any sound examples of the 32 Artist? I love the look of that bass and there aren’t currently any on the the Unicorn website.

Thanks!

Damon

I have revised my order for my new five string; it won't be "natural wooden coloured", but a Swedish take on British Racing Green, with some metallic flavour...

No creme coloured stripes, though... ;) (I'll try to make some sound clips too with the Orange Wonder when I have the time.. ;))

oxå grön.jpg

Edited by bassmayhem
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, bassmayhem said:

I have revised my order for my new five string; it won't be "natural wooden coloured", but a Swedish take on British Racing Green, with some metallic flavour...

No creme coloured stripes, though... ;) 

oxå grön.jpg

I had no idea what this thread I got a notification was about .... so had to remind myself... but very much approve of that colour choice... I wanted to get my Lakland refinished a similar colour, I was going to go for something similar to MINI's British racing green IV metallic 
In other green colours worth looking at BMWs Isle of Man green would be interesting....

5 hours ago, DamonUK said:

Do you have any sound examples of the 32 Artist? I love the look of that bass and there aren’t currently any on the the Unicorn website.

Thanks!

Damon

Sorry Damon, I don’t. But I would describe the sound as having a fast and distinct attack, but somehow balanced with the warmth that follows, which is an unusual combination. So think of it as warm, even sound with a clear attack. Not as scooped as some more modern basses. I think the choice of wood is a very conscious one here.

• 7 months later...

After a long, long wait, the bass is nearly finished. Goes into lacquer on Monday...
The body is a very resonant chunk of mahogany, the neck has a centerpiece of purpleheart with maple sides and an ebony board.

Here is a pic of the pickup covers, made of the same woods you find in the rest of the bass...

image.thumb.png.24e392e00c245129adc3e5926065cd78.png

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bassmayhem said:

After a long, long wait, the bass is nearly finished. Goes into lacquer on Monday...
The body is a very resonant chunk of mahogany, the neck has a centerpiece of purpleheart with maple sides and an ebony board.

Here is a pic of the pickup covers, made of the same woods you find in the rest of the bass...

image.thumb.png.24e392e00c245129adc3e5926065cd78.png

I love that attention to detail. You see too many high end custom builds with very fancy tops and then just large lumps of plastic.

• Like 2

The neck of my bass in shaping to my liking and my hands...
Four pieces of purpleheart laminated to a center piece, then some nice maple. 

Quote from Unicornbass: "Did I mention that Unicornbass haven’t had one neck issue at all in 15 years…? Zero."
The neck will be lacquered silk smooth, with the head cap matching the body's British Racing Green kind of...

image.thumb.png.458ccdbe3d991fb761ca5d700d4737d0.png

• Like 1

On 27/09/2022 at 15:05, Sonic_Groove said:

These do look great & if they have a Jaydee or Alembic thing going on, but lightweight very interesting

The lightweight rig You are using Bassmayhem looks good too 👍

B

I am really surprised how much air the tiny Genzler 350 rig moves. The "bigger" 12-3 cabs with the Spartan amp is just slaughter; still rather tiny...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Wow! Love it.

Beautiful. 

I really love the orange ones as well

I let the orange go, since it wasn't really to my spec's. Too much tonal options with three pickups and active electronics and a kill switch. It found a new happy home. :) 

• Like 1

That attention to detail is awesome and the finish looks like the kind of finish my son puts on classic cars he restores for a living.

If it plays and sounds as good as it looks WOW!!

That laminated nut caught my eye. So much detail. I'd almost be afraid to pick it up.

I hope the 5 string matches the quality and serves you well.

Edited by Ralf1e
Typo
  • Like 1