Why become a member? ×

So I bought a mustang and would like to try it with flats.....

CHARLIE-BROWNE

Hi all 

I have some labella flats on my Sandberg and I love the feel and sound of them

Do they translate to short scale as I have bought a Mustang and usually clean them down and add new strings so might as well have a go 

Do they complement the short scale and what are the choices / watch outs / considerations ?

thanks all ,much appreciated

Lesley  

Fender sell the JMJ Mustang with fender flats as standard. Think that tells you all. 

Fender flats are high tension on full scale, however on short scale they're more like medium tension, and sound fantastic. Pop on a set of fender flats, they're reasonably priced compared to other flatwound brands too.

11 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Fender sell the JMJ Mustang with fender flats as standard. Think that tells you all. 

Fender flats are high tension on full scale, however on short scale they're more like medium tension, and sound fantastic. Pop on a set of fender flats, they're reasonably priced compared to other flatwound brands too.

that's really useful to know thanks ! Just wading through the types and sizes as we speak!

I bought a JMJ earlier in the year and, as stated above, it comes with flats as standard. I later fitted some EB cobalt flats, which I think suited it better. I then went for some rounds, which sounded good to, but I’ve gone back to the cobalts as I think they’re the best fit for my ears.

The fender flats are great strings. However, on my JMJ mustang I haven't been able to intonate the E string no matter what I did. The main reason is because they are long scale and the string is too thick. All other strings (A, D, G) were fine. 

In my opinion, the LaBella set for the Mustang bass is the perfect match. A lot of people say Chromes work as well, but I haven't tried them. 

Good luck!

Edited by realmasslove

4 hours ago, realmasslove said:

The fender flats are great strings. However, on my JMJ mustang I haven't been able to intonate the E string no matter what I did. The main reason is because they are long scale and the string is too thick. All other strings (A, D, G) were fine. 

In my opinion, the LaBella set for the Mustang bass is the perfect match. A lot of people say Chromes work as well, but I haven't tried them. 

Good luck!

I had no issues setting my JMJ up with the supplied flats. A duff string perhaps?

52 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I had no issues setting my JMJ up with the supplied flats. A duff string perhaps?

No idea, it might have been, of course. I still tend to think that it was due to a lot of thick string on the post. The LaBellas are perfect in this regard. 

On your bass, if you have the intonation perfect (check the open E string and the E on the 12th fret), try fretting an F on the first fret and check on your tuner whether you are getting a perfect pitch. Mine wasn't even close. 

On 14/08/2021 at 15:26, CHARLIE-BROWNE said:

went for some D'Addario Chromes in the end as recommended by Strings Direct too

Interestingly short scale would be too short so that saved a mistake need medium scale 34 inch length  to go through the body !

Thanks all 

How do you like the Chromes on your Mustang? Are you happy with them?

1 hour ago, realmasslove said:

No idea, it might have been, of course. I still tend to think that it was due to a lot of thick string on the post. The LaBellas are perfect in this regard. 

On your bass, if you have the intonation perfect (check the open E string and the E on the 12th fret), try fretting an F on the first fret and check on your tuner whether you are getting a perfect pitch. Mine wasn't even close. 

The amount of unwrapped string around the tuning post is certainly worrying. I always check up to the 17th fret on all my set ups.