Jump to content

DiMarzio DP120 BK pickup Wal lookalike?


uk_lefty
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm looking for opinion on this DiMarzio pickup. I've got a PJ bitsa with a bit of an untidy P rout, which is a shame because I've got a DiMarzio model P in there that sounds AMAZING. However, I think getting a big square pup might help cover the rout error and now that I adore DiMarzio pups thought this could be a good option.... I'd love to hear any first hand experience. It would be in the P position with a DiMarzio model J in the bridge position... Though tbh I hardly use that because the Model P is so, so good! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Model One has narrow string spacing. In the P position it might be slightly too wide. 

I had one in the neck position on an Aria SB Elite and whilst the stings were wider than the pole pieces it worked ok. But the P position might push it just too far.

Edited by bartelby
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, bartelby said:

The Model One has narrow string spacing. In the P position it might be slightly too wide. 

I had one in the neck position on an Aria SB Elite and whilst the stings were wider than the pole pieces it worked ok. But the P position might push it just too far.

Thanks. I think they do one with wider string spacing (a 145 they call it) which is the same pup but broader... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Thanks. I think they do one with wider string spacing (a 145 they call it) which is the same pup but broader... 

 

I didn't see that on the website, thought they'd discontinued it. If it's wider then you should be ok with that.

 

 

EDIT: Just found a technical drawing. the DP145 has a total string spacing of 2". At the P position my Fender is 2.125" (2" at the neck position)

 

Edited by bartelby
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Looking like this isn't going to work... Back to the drawing board! 

 

 

The string spacing on the DP120 is 1.875" and my Aria, at the neck, is 2". The 1/8" didn't really make a difference. The E and G were only 1/16" outside the poles, same as the DP145 in the P position. You should be ok. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, JPJ said:

Based on what I’ve been reading in the Build Diary’s section, I’d be tempted to throw a Sims Super-Quad in there for the best of all worlds solution.

Yeah but at £200 or £250 for the pickup its a big outlay to stick in a Bitsa. I do like the look of them, bass centre put an ad on the back of bass magazine recently, P style bass with 2x Sims in it. Looked an absolute beast, but won't be cheap. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...
On 14/08/2021 at 23:15, smarthound said:

Why not leave your Model P in there and conceal the rout error with a pickup ring?

 

Admittedly it's right-handed but chances are you'd just need to flip it and countersink the holes that side.

 

 

1990.jpg.f470a1e23969b7c220c049b39b126a85.jpg

 

Does anyone know where one can get a pickup ring like this? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, mcnach said:

 

Does anyone know where one can get a pickup ring like this? 

Only if you're fond of skulls!
 

image.png.878b37d3e0dae88e78525b97808acf33.png
 

A few years back you could find P or J surrounds on AllParts or WD. A bit disappointing how limited the selection of parts is these days.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mcnach said:

 

Does anyone know where one can get a pickup ring like this? 

I got mine from gigink and they even sent me a spare in mirror finish. Let me know if interested. 

IMG20220225104700.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I got mine from gigink and they even sent me a spare in mirror finish. Let me know if interested. 

IMG20220225104700.jpg

 

 

Ah, that's a great idea! :) Thank you!

 

Thank you for the offer, I'm only looking for a ring or two but in black. But I can easily create a PDF of what I want and get someone like gigink to cut it for me in black acrylic or something. Why didn't I think of that before? :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, mcnach said:

 

 

Ah, that's a great idea! :) Thank you!

 

Thank you for the offer, I'm only looking for a ring or two but in black. But I can easily create a PDF of what I want and get someone like gigink to cut it for me in black acrylic or something. Why didn't I think of that before? :)

 

I didn't even make the pdf. I just sent them a photo of the bass, a photo of the Yamaha BB basses with the pickup surrounds and asked gigink to make it for me. They sent me a PDF to print out to scale so I could check the measurements then it was all easy from there. I'm plotting what to order next from them.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I didn't even make the pdf. I just sent them a photo of the bass, a photo of the Yamaha BB basses with the pickup surrounds and asked gigink to make it for me. They sent me a PDF to print out to scale so I could check the measurements then it was all easy from there. I'm plotting what to order next from them.

 

They make it too easy, that's dangerous! :D

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...