Why become a member? ×

vbnd

ped

As some of you know I’m deeply into the P/flats sound at the moment not least because a lot of the new music I’m discovering features some tasty P action. 

Latest discovery is below. Phenomenal bass playing; tasteful, groovy, busy, sparse, it’s all there - and the rest of the band are fantastic. 

I normally avoid any albums/artists with ‘funk’ in the name as they tend to be anything but, but this is awesome.
Go on, give it a spin 🎧

• Like 3

Spotify did me a wrong. Typed in Scumfu... and was given this...

Actually not terrible if you can handle the heavier things in life. Reminds of early Between The Buried And Me with harsher vocals.

Screenshot_20210730-152148_Spotify.thumb.jpg.19f55aa860d8d08c0f82590e07851466.jpg

Edited by binky_bass
  • Haha 1

Thanks for posting this Ped - a new listen for me, and gold plated A1 stuff. Singer's phrasing reminds me of iamddb.

Can't find the name of the bass player, but an absolute master of discreet glissando and ghost notes, and a great ad for the PJ sound, which I love.

Here's another track:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, musicbassman said:

Thanks for posting this Ped - a new listen for me, and gold plated A1 stuff. Singer's phrasing reminds me of iamddb.

Can't find the name of the bass player, but an absolute master of discreet glissando and ghost notes, and a great ad for the PJ sound, which I love.

Here's another track:

Exactly - I love those aspects of his playing. it inspired me to do this recording. For some reason I don't think there's anything quite as funky as a P bass gliss. I'm only recently getting used to them, as for some reason I find them much harder on round wound strings and have only been using flats for a few years in comparison

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ped said:

I find them much harder on round wound strings

Well, surely they're harder on rounds ? - I know I'd certainly find them harder just because of the nature of the strings - coarse and edgy as opposed to smooth and silky. Mind you, seems some people refer to glissando when what they're actually doing is hammering on a semitone - slightly different effect IMHO.

You do a little gliss right at the end of your recording - excellent by the way! - and I can't work out whether you're using a sliding gliss or hammering. Sounds good either way !  🙂

PS Ernie Ball cobalts are my favourite flats 👍

Just now, musicbassman said:

Well, surely they're harder on rounds ? - I know I'd certainly find them harder just because of the nature of the strings - coarse and edgy as opposed to smooth and silky. Mind you, seems some people refer to glissando when what they're actually doing is hammering on a semitone - slightly different effect IMHO.

You do a little gliss right at the end of your recording - excellent by the way! - and I can't work out whether you're using a sliding gliss or hammering. Sounds good either way !  🙂

PS Ernie Ball cobalts are my favourite flats 👍

I use Elixir rounds (which I love) but think the problem is actually that they’re too ‘slippery’ so I can’t get a grip as easily as I can on a flat with my pinkie finger, so that any ‘waggle’ gets pronounced. 

Thanks BTw that a waggly slide at the end!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, musicbassman said:

Me neither, but it appears vndb is the bass player (you'd probably found this out already). Here's a link to his FB page https://www.facebook.com/VBNDmusic and a video of his band live in downtown Saskatoon. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hey y’all! vbnd here, just browsing the internet and found this thread, i am very honoured by all the kind words you guys said! 

ill let you in on a little secret though, 

i play a fender squire bass, i think it’s an affinity series?? i’m not sure. but my strings, they’re rounds! i’m not sure what brand, i bought the bass from a friend 6 years ago and i’ve never changed them, not sure how long that friend had the bass either. you know what they say, the funk is in the gunk hahaha. 

anyways, thanks for checking out the band and our stuff! i look forward to maybe hearing back from some of y’all! 

cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, vbnd said:

Hey y’all! vbnd here, just browsing the internet and found this thread, i am very honoured by all the kind words you guys said! 

ill let you in on a little secret though, 

i play a fender squire bass, i think it’s an affinity series?? i’m not sure. but my strings, they’re rounds! i’m not sure what brand, i bought the bass from a friend 6 years ago and i’ve never changed them, not sure how long that friend had the bass either. you know what they say, the funk is in the gunk hahaha. 

anyways, thanks for checking out the band and our stuff! i look forward to maybe hearing back from some of y’all! 

cheers

Great to have you here, thanks for popping in!

What’s your favourite track on SCUMFUCK 😆

Love your playing and laid back groove. As I say normally albums/bands with ‘Funk’ in the name are anything but and tend to be fast up tempo ‘funk’ that I can’t bear.. 

I’ll have a listen to some of your other stuff… which tracks are you most happy with?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ped said:

Great to have you here, thanks for popping in!

What’s your favourite track on SCUMflip 😆

Love your playing and laid back groove. As I say normally albums/bands with ‘Funk’ in the name are anything but and tend to be fast up tempo ‘funk’ that I can’t bear.. 

I’ll have a listen to some of your other stuff… which tracks are you most happy with?

it’s great to be here man! 

i should have foreseen the confusion with SCUMflip hahahaha that’s an oopsies on my part lol. i’ve had friends call it Cum Funk too hahaha. the name took inspiration from the whole punk jazz thing, however infinitely less cool lmao

id say i’m the most satisfied with  anything on Scum Funk, Breathe Me In is pretty sweet, i had fun on that one, Stop Your Crying definitely showcases more of my softer, more relaxed playing, i tend to be a little aggressive when playing the bass, especially live. 

the only other project i played bass on would be Daughter of the Sun (2018) but listening back to it makes me feel weird, definitely some juvenile chops even for 3 years ago lol. i’ve been playing for 6 years give or take. i probably play for 4 hours everyday, i love it. i think some of the newer stuff i’m working on currently will probably be more advanced! 

• Like 2