Why become a member? ×

Awesome Deal! (I think!?)

allighatt0r

Have any of the Norfolk based bass gurus been to PMT in Norwich and spotted the SWR Black Beauty sat near the window in the past few years? (back as far as the amp having a sound control sticker on at least!)

Today i made a trip to PMT with the plan of getting myself a new amp. (I was getting fed up of my Ashdown hand-me-down). I spent some time with the little giant 1000 through the superfly cabs and was fairly underwhelmed to be honest. Anyway, to cut a long story short, i didn't really fancy another ashdown, so had a look around for what else they had, and spotted the SWR.

I plugged in the ATK 300 that had been hanging on the wall, and was instantly blown away. At that very moment, one of the (very helpful and good at knowing when to leave you alone) staff, who said it was cheap (marked at 699 with an rrp of 1040) because it had been there a few years. I can't say it took me long to be convinced I wanted it. The only fault I could find was that the limiter light had been poked in, so there was just a small hole.

I went over to the desk and asked what they could do about the price (if you don't ask you don't get!) and the guy came back and said they would accept 500.

Now, I've got this home, downloaded the owners guide, fixed the limiter light and half shook the house down with the volume at 11 oclock, and i'm left wondering.... what's wrong with it? am i missing something? why didn't this thing get picked up years ago?

Does anyone remember having a go on this in it's (apparently long) residency?

cant say i ever noticed it and i have been in there a few times in the past 6 weeks.saying that i dont really look in the window!sounds like a decent deal to me.the guys in there are usually pretty good and you seemed to catch one of them in a charitible mood!(mm wonder which one!)

Is it one of these?

If so then I really like these :)

I don't think they've been desperately popular because they don't have the 'typical' parametric eq of the SM400/500/900 and the internal speaker is already running at 4 ohms. SWR say it'll happily run down 2 ohms but a lot of people are wary of running anything below 4 ohms.

Personally I would think it's gonna cover most gigs as a standalone unit so that shouldn't be a problem anyway :rolleyes:

Forgot to add - even in the USA these sell for over £800 new so £500 in the Uk is a great price!

Also - this is one of the SWR Pro range so should not only sound better than the Workingman's range but ought to have a higher build quality :)

Through research I've read a bit about pre fender SWR... how am I supposed to tell whether this is pre or post and which is better? :) I've seen some pictures with the tweeter mounted in a square orientation instead of a diamond shape (mine is a diamond) does this mean anything to anyone?

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='449475' date='Mar 30 2009, 02:08 PM']Through research I've read a bit about pre fender SWR... how am I supposed to tell whether this is pre or post and which is better? :rolleyes: I've seen some pictures with the tweeter mounted in a square orientation instead of a diamond shape (mine is a diamond) does this mean anything to anyone?[/quote]

Send the serial number to SWR help desk [email protected] and ask them how old yours is & if they have any more information :)

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='449475' date='Mar 30 2009, 02:08 PM']Through research I've read a bit about pre fender SWR... how am I supposed to tell whether this is pre or post and which is better? :) I've seen some pictures with the tweeter mounted in a square orientation instead of a diamond shape (mine is a diamond) does this mean anything to anyone?[/quote]

Take a look on the back of the amp.

My workingman says SWR Engineering, Sylmar CA on the back. They then changed the name to SWR Sound and quick look on wikipedia reveals they moved manufacturing to Sun Valley CA at the same time. I'd guess the Fender ones say Corona or Ensenada.

SWR are the kiwi bargain tip. They've been a bit uncool since the early 90's but the cabs are damn fine (and pretty light for non neo).

The amps are scoopy but thats OK with jazz basses or any basses that are a bit aggressive (eg. Modulus Quantums with EMG's).

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='449823' date='Mar 30 2009, 07:39 PM']Yep, mine's a fender, made in sun valley, CA. I've emailed them to see what they can tell me. :)[/quote]

That's probably pre Fender then, though there's bound to be some transition period while they used up older parts. Here's what wikipedia says about it:
[quote]The company's name was changed to SWR Sound Corporation on 1 December, 1997 as part of a restructuring plan. Rabe sold the company to accountant Daryl Paul Jamison and soon created a new company, Raven Labs. SWR was based in Sylmar, California until January 1999, when it moved to the former Cetec Gauss speaker factory in nearby Sun Valley, California. On 2 June 2003, Jamison sold SWR to Fender Musical Instruments Corporation[/quote]

I kind of curious - has anyone actually had any experience of pre and post Fender SWR products and found the later ones wanting, or is it just the idea that it's now owned by a large corporation that people don't like?

I just picked up a pair of early SWR cabs, a 4x8 and 1x15. they sound great, both fit in the boot of my car and are fairly light. They say they were made in Sylmar, CA. Circa 1994.

The Black Beauty is basically the same as my 1x15 I think.

I used to own a Black Beauty and paired it with an 8ohm 2x10 (giving 2.6ohm overall) and gigged it like that with no problems.

Great amps, but as somebody has already mentioned, they are quite heavy and bulky

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='450006' date='Mar 30 2009, 09:58 PM']I have to say I was always jealous of people who could afford SWR gear when I was a nipper. They made cool stuff.[/quote]

I always remember that the top US session & touring guys always bought SWR gear over with them. Either Redhead combos or SM400's with Goliath 4x10's.

I bought an SM400 & a Triad & loved it. Only sold it becuase the Triad was a bit bulky to cart around. I spot the odd SM400 up for sale from time to time & think about buying one for 'nostalgic' reasons, lol.

Am I not right in thinking that, although a version of the Black Beauty was available pre-Fender, the one pictured is an updated version, only available since Fender took over.

My amps/cabs of choice are SWR, although these days don't have need of anything more substantial than my Redhead (and only the original 240 watt incarnation at that).

Edited by noelk27

I'm alright with carting it around as we have a band transit, so everyone chips in. but maybe it should be renamed to the black beast! much more rock credential!

Besides that... the "rhythm" guitarist's custom built 4x12 cab is RIDICULOUSLY heavy, so i'll help him if he helps me.

Thank god for castors! I read in the user manual that the castors are removeable. Has anyone had experience with taking them off at every gig? is it worth it to get the "floor coupling" effect?

Now that's a proper heavyweight combo - RAWK!!!

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='450393' date='Mar 31 2009, 11:31 AM']Thank god for castors! I read in the user manual that the castors are removeable. Has anyone had experience with taking them off at every gig? is it worth it to get the "floor coupling" effect?[/quote]

No. Explanation here: [url="http://barefacedbass.com/technical.html"]http://barefacedbass.com/technical.html[/url]

Alex

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='450393' date='Mar 31 2009, 11:31 AM']Thank god for castors! I read in the user manual that the castors are removeable. Has anyone had experience with taking them off at every gig? is it worth it to get the "floor coupling" effect?[/quote]

My Triad had castors, I never removed them once!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='450404' date='Mar 31 2009, 11:45 AM']No. Explanation here: [url="http://barefacedbass.com/technical.html"]http://barefacedbass.com/technical.html[/url]

Alex[/quote]

So what that is saying is that with the castors on (similar to putting the amp on a beer create, only shorter), I will get a gain from low frequencies being reflected upwards by the solid floor on the frequencies below ~100Hz (depending on how tall the castors are), and that when the castors are removed and the amp is directly on the floor, I'll get boosts below ~250Hz? This seems to confirm that castors off = better!?

So, with my amp the correct distance from a wall or even better, a corner and with the castors removed, I can get a noticeable boost of ~6db on low frequencies.

I get the feeling I'm pulling my thread off-topic. :)

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='450447' date='Mar 31 2009, 12:42 PM']So what that is saying is that with the castors on (similar to putting the amp on a beer create, only shorter), I will get a gain from low frequencies being reflected upwards by the solid floor on the frequencies below ~100Hz (depending on how tall the castors are), and that when the castors are removed and the amp is directly on the floor, I'll get boosts below ~250Hz? This seems to confirm that castors off = better!?[/quote]

The 3" lift off the floor caused by castors will make no difference to the acoustic coupling with the floor boundary. You'd need to be lifting the cab 3 feet off the floor, not 3 inches to get a significant difference in boundary reinforcement! The castors should however minimise mechanical coupling.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='450404' date='Mar 31 2009, 11:45 AM']Now that's a proper heavyweight combo - RAWK!!!

No. Explanation here: [url="http://barefacedbass.com/technical.html"]http://barefacedbass.com/technical.html[/url]

Alex[/quote]

Just spent a very interesting 20 minutes with that Alex,Thanks. :)