Why become a member? ×

Quatschmacher

Added these too:

Would be good to be able to switch off the option which sends out the previously-detected note before the new pitch has been detected. It’s very useful for lots of uses but it would be good to be able to disable/set it on a per patch basis. Would also be good to have this accessible via the top panel and via dedicated MIDI command so that behaviour can be set quickly according to the user’s immediate needs.

While we’re here, if there’s scope, adding a third (user-assignable) footswitch might be cool. Perhaps at a raised height in Y and/or Z axis to aid access/avoid accidental presses of the existing switches.

Also, a pitch CV with +/- octave offset of at least up to to two octaves. Could be tied to the input signal. Or could be slaved to one of the FI oscillators as that would make the pitch more stable (taking advantage of the pitch locking).

Also, would a stereo audio output jack be possible? Could then have some oscillator/dry signal panning options added in software. 

Would also allow for the delay and chorus effects to be made stereo!

Could even have a pseudo layer detune between the stereo outs (there is a user on the Facebook group who has created something which does this).

Maybe even a stereo input so that you could have a sidechain function added to the envelope triggering.

These could be TRS single jacks or stereo pairs of TRS jacks if possible.

• Like 3

Andras’ latest reply on TB:

Hi all,
I am glad to see that there is still great interest for this product, and many great ideas appeared on the previous pages immediately. I will return to discuss some of them in details later. But let me step back to the fundamentals of reality, and explain what is surely not possible, at least not in the next production that we are preparing now. 

1. Redesign is limited by the time frame that we have. We do not want to have a break is supplying customers with FI, and if the production of the next series is not ready until end of this year then we will be out of stock. So we have less than one year for redesign AND production. This means that redesign -- especially concerning hardware changes -- must be kept minimal, and must be finished very soon. 

2. We cannot change the housing in this time frame, so potentiometers, dial, display and connectors must remain as it is now. I understand that USB would be very desirable, but for many points of view it is out of question at this point (e.g. connectors must be at the back side of the box, and there is absolutely no space there for USB).

3. Any hardware design changes must be fixed in very short time, in order to leave enough time for circuit board testing and production. 

4. You have to remember that we had to stop software development because the processor's program memory is full. I am thinking about solutions to resolve this situation, but in the moment only minimal software changes would be possible. 

So, these are the restrictions that we have to live with. Now let us see on the other side, what is possible:

1. As I described, it would be possible to add CV and Gate out signals to the unused pins of the MIDI OUT socket, so these would not hurt MIDI OUT functionality at all. Originally I thought about pitch CV, as probably this is the most important use of CV control, but Peter's idea with assigning envelopes or other control parameter to the CV output makes sense and could be possible. 

2. Although currently the jack sockets are mono, the output socket could be stereo, as Peter recommended for stereo effects. However, it is either stereo output sound, or CV output because the same DAC would be used for either one or the other function.

3. I am not sure what was meant by MIDI phantom power; if it means drawing current from the MIDI output signal, it is possible to connect such a device on the FI; however, I treat this solution a very bad idea, resulting in an unreliable product. However, it would be possible (we considered this already before) to connect ground and +5V to the two unused pins of MIDI IN. E.g. if you want to connect a hand-held control device wirelessly to the FI through a midiBeam, than you would not have to use an extra power supply for the midiBeam receiver.

So, these are my first thoughts about the ideas requested here. 
Thank you for the suggestions, and let me know if you have some more of them within the restrictions described here.

Andras Szalay

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Ah ok. I mean fair enough he's got to do what he thinks best commercially. But seems like a relatively minor tweak to the existing model is what's going to be on offer and, in particular no glitch-fix or better UI?

I think it is more than that. When you think about it, it wouldn't have had that octave thing to start with and it would have been put in to cut down on another problem, you haven't heard what impact that other problem has - maybe it is terrible?

It is surprisingly difficult to work out an octave on a pitch to note system, many times the octave up is more prominant than the fundamental, certainly after the initial decay, you only need to listen to an old octave pedal to hear this, where it is jumping around. If you look at the midi output of something like a GR guitar synth, you can see how difficult this is (the midi output is quite poor compared to the internal pitch - it starts on one note then immediately bends to the correct note). 

2 minutes ago, lidl e said:

He should integrate the 4Control into the chassis. Seems like there is enough room and the extra features it brings really opens up the pedal.

I had already suggested this, but again, I’m not entirely certain what is possible.

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Ah ok. I mean fair enough he's got to do what he thinks best commercially. But seems like a relatively minor tweak to the existing model is what's going to be on offer and, in particular no glitch-fix or better UI?

Any software changes are a different discussion. This is primarily a hardware decision that has been forced upon them and they are trying to make the best of it, balancing their business needs against trying to offer some improvements to users, within the constraints of the situation. 

Rather than me pasting pages of discussion, I’d suggest following the action here:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/future-impact-now-available-was-deep-impact-reissue-interested.1115025/page-366#post-27323805

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Remembering that you can also get charged for VAT and import fees too when buying that. I was, others weren't.

I wouldn't being in ireland, but yeah. Hate those import taxes!

Feel free to ship to my place and hop over to pick it up.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've just picked up a Morningstar MC6 MK2 and before I start deep diving into setting this up with the FI I wondered if anyone is willing to share their configuration or have any tips? Looking forward to trying the sustain thing but also hooking up an expression filter to the filters. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MrTea said:

I've just picked up a Morningstar MC6 MK2 and before I start deep diving into setting this up with the FI I wondered if anyone is willing to share their configuration or have any tips? Looking forward to trying the sustain thing but also hooking up an expression filter to the filters. 

I have the midibeam 4connect to add expression pedal and 2 button switch (one for sustain/hold one for down program) and it is a revelation. Default setup worked right out if the box.

38 minutes ago, MrTea said:

The FI’s MIDI map is already available in the Morningstar MIDI dictionary so is easy to pull commands into your MC6.

I’ve got a reasonably neat setup for the FI that I might be persuaded to share, but my stuff is all packed away at the moment and I’m mega busy until the middle of next month. 

Thanks all. I'll have a play around with the MIDI dictionary and see what I can come up with. If I get something useful I'll try and export and share here. I've primarily picked this up for both the FI and to trigger samples off the 1010 Blackbox. The editor does seem pretty simple so hopefully it should be quick and easy to get up and running. 

• 2 months later...

Has Andras never considered doing a rehouse and just including it in the price (albeit increasing it a bit to cover any extra cost) save folk forking out for a wasted original housing? 

Markbass did it with their "SuperSynth" - they literally just changed the housing.