Why become a member? ×

Quatschmacher

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Bah! I only use mine for Quatschmacher patches!

The new stuff planned is the most intriguing bit to me. I will keep an eye on development...

Well, I’ll certainly be making and sharing some sync patches, so if you want those then you’ll have to get the new one. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Yes, unfortunately one of the realities of brexitland.

Has that changed for new bits of kit compared to what it was before? (I'm aware there is now VAT to pay on used kit). 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Has that changed for new bits of kit compared to what it was before? (I'm aware there is now VAT to pay on used kit). 

Ship it to me and fly over to pick it up!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

New, old, doesn’t matter; you buy something over £15 in value from abroad and you get charged on it. It’s even worse sometimes: I returned a tiny USB keyboard receiver to someone who’d accidentally left it plugged into a bit of gear he sent me and he got charged when it got back to Denmark! 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

New, old, doesn’t matter; you buy something over £15 in value from abroad and you get charged on it. It’s even worse sometimes: I returned a tiny USB keyboard receiver to someone who’d accidentally left it plugged into a bit of gear he sent me and he got charged when it got back to Denmark! 

Plus the €3.75 admin charge in every package 

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

But wasn't that always the case on new gear? My point is that hasn't changed, we've always had to pay VAT on new kit whether from home or abroad - shouldn't be a surprise?

56 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

But wasn't that always the case on new gear? My point is that hasn't changed, we've always had to pay VAT on new kit whether from home or abroad - shouldn't be a surprise?

In my understanding The difference is the way that our government have tried to implement vat collection is fairly onerous for small businesses abroad - so for someone like Thomann it’s no problem and they can carry on like before, but some sellers like panda audio just have one price and don’t seem to have an export price - so effectively you get charged twice 

3 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

In my understanding The difference is the way that our government have tried to implement vat collection is fairly onerous for small businesses abroad - so for someone like Thomann it’s no problem and they can carry on like before, but some sellers like panda audio just have one price and don’t seem to have an export price - so effectively you get charged twice 

I guess if Panda are not VAT registered, then I could see it making a difference. Need someone above my pay grade on VAT issues to explain it better though!

No different to importing kit from the USA, Japan, Korea, Indonesia or China though? 

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I guess if Panda are not VAT registered, then I could see it making a difference. Need someone above my pay grade on VAT issues to explain it better though!

No different to importing kit from the USA, Japan, Korea, Indonesia or China though? 

Except there’s no sales tax buying out of state in us - so cost price is cost price and then vat is added for us at import.

the system HMRC set up is that they wanted international sellers to pay and register and collect the VAT for them. Obviously that’s not something a small seller would the burden and cost of, I get the feeling a lot of them will just include the VAT in their territory put it in the mail and let it get charged UK VAT on top. 

it’s all a bit rubbish

50 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Except there’s no sales tax buying out of state in us - so cost price is cost price and then vat is added for us at import.

the system HMRC set up is that they wanted international sellers to pay and register and collect the VAT for them. Obviously that’s not something a small seller would the burden and cost of, I get the feeling a lot of them will just include the VAT in their territory put it in the mail and let it get charged UK VAT on top. 

it’s all a bit rubbish

I don't follow. If Panda Audio are not making enough sales to be registered for VAT then they don't need to charge VAT.

And even if they are registered for VAT then there is zero VAT on exports by them, but we add VAT on when it comes into the UK.

Either way I don't see how it differs from a US seller really?

Paging @Steve Browning who, unlike me, knows what he's talking about when it comes to VAT!

Edited by Al Krow

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I don't follow. If Panda Audio are not making enough sales to be registered for VAT then they don't need to charge VAT.

My wifes shop was not making enough to be registered for vat, and pre-brexit had a lot of customers in the EU (about 25% of her business was that), but would have had to pay vat after that. Never did though as post brexit the workload involved to sell into the EU was to great for her to do as well as the rest of the shop so she lost that market to a larger EU shop that was her competitor.

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

No. EU sales didn’t used to have VAT charged separately (they were the same as buying from the UK until the withdrawal rules kicked in). It’s very different now. (Buying from outside of Europe is the same as it always was.)

3 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

This is very much a tangent from discussing a lovely new pedal though

It is - although it does clarify more - I must admit I forgot when I ordered my FI, i forgot about the vat so it was a bit of a surprise.

It is worth reminding people but obviously isn't pandas fault.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

So what's the cost of a new FI Mk4 going to be delivered to our door with taxes, import duties etc. added on?

Taxes will be approximately 22.5% + £12 admin fee. Price in GBP is dependent upon what the monthly HMRC EUR-to-GBP conversion rate is when purchased. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

47 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Price in GBP is dependent upon what the monthly HMRC EUR-to-GBP conversion rate is when purchased. 

Is the price not dependant on the company of the payment methods conversion rate when purchased?

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

Taxes will be approximately 22.5% + £12 admin fee. Price in GBP is dependent upon what the monthly HMRC EUR-to-GBP conversion rate is when purchased. 

50 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Is the price not dependant on the company of the payment methods conversion rate when purchased?

Thanks gents. Pulling that together:

Pre-order price of the unit €299.00 (I see this has already been reduced from €359.00)

£1 GBP = €1.1346 EUR (current for Paypal)

Add taxes of 22.5% & £12 admin fee

Cost of a new Mk4 can be expected to be around £335 delivered to your door in the UK.

Edited by Al Krow

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks gents. Pulling that together:

Pre-order price of the unit €299.00 

Nice. That 359 was too much. That makes it a much more attractive buy.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

HMRC fixes import rates and it is they who charge tax. Currency conversion rates from HMRC are fixed per calendar month and published in advance.  All that may vary slightly is the admin charge from the delivery company for paying the taxes on your behalf. Royal Mail charges £12 (or £18, I can’t remember) for lower value items and £36 for higher value items.

This is where you need to look for import exchange rates:

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/exchange_rates/monthly

Edited by Quatschmacher

22 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

are there no UK distributers - like Bass Direct or someone?

No. Panda asked me if I want to do it but it’s too much paperwork for my tastes. I did suggest a few established places to them to try to enlist but they haven’t followed up as far as I know.