Why become a member? ×

Quatschmacher

26 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

No need to download them as such as they are all accessible within the cloud part of the editor, though it doesn’t hurt to have a backup on your computer. 

I find having a download folder of the patches you're editing is almost essential, otherwise writing individual patches to the FI is a pain as you have to select the file, not the patch within the Manager. It's a shame that the changes made in Editor don't automatically translate to the Manager. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

The Roland cable is only for communication with the computer so no expression.

MidiBeam works as a full interface (editor communication and firmware updates) with the computer and lets you have expression or footswitch on each of the two jacks.

To be honest, something like a Morningstar MC3/6/8 would give you more functionality as regards expression and external switches. Also, as mentioned, it'll function as an interface for editor communication. It won’t do firmware updates but there really aren’t likely to be any more (possibly one, I’m running a beta firmware that has a small bug fix for when triggering from a keyboard but unless I find anything else broken, there’s not much room for improvement).

Yes, most of the FI patches out there are ones I created (bar the original Talkbass patches from other users). No need to download them as such as they are all accessible within the cloud part of the editor, though it doesn’t hurt to have a backup on your computer. 

Oh my goodness. That morningstar 6...

Mind if i ask you a few questions about it?

Obviously no compatibility issues or you wouldnt have mentioned it. 

So with that, notnonly will it take 2 expression pedlas i can program separately, but would i be able to assign individual effects to each of the 6 buttons? Or 5 effects and a down program swirch? And there are 350 banks i can have an effect assigned to each bank or a parameter?

And can i use it hook up up 2  expression pedals to the future impact and a boss sy-200 concurrently 

Thanks for the reply!

Your midium device looks amazing and i dont even understand it. I did watch yhe videos though. So cool.

Edited by lidl e

1 hour ago, AinsleyWalker said:

I find having a download folder of the patches you're editing is almost essential, otherwise writing individual patches to the FI is a pain as you have to select the file, not the patch within the Manager. It's a shame that the changes made in Editor don't automatically translate to the Manager. 

There are a few solutions to this; here’s one:

Create a blank bank template in the Manager, then populate it with patches from the cloud that you want to edit using the Global directory (either double-click the name or select and “send to bank”). Double click a tile in the Manager to load it into the buffer. Then switch to the editor to make the edits. Rinse and repeat. Then when you’ve finished editing all your patches, click “upload to FI” in the Manager to write all the patches. You can do this with a single patch too and select a single tile to upload. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lidl e said:

Oh my goodness. That morningstar 6...

Mind if i ask you a few questions about it?

Obviously no compatibility issues or you wouldnt have mentioned it. 

So with that, notnonly will it take 2 expression pedlas i can program separately, but would i be able to assign individual effects to each of the 6 buttons? Or 5 effects and a down program swirch? And there are 350 banks i can have an effect assigned to each bank or a parameter?

And can i use it hook up up 2  expression pedals to the future impact and a boss sy-200 concurrently 

Thanks for the reply!

Your midium device looks amazing and i dont even understand it. I did watch yhe videos though. So cool.

The MC6 is really flexible and you can pretty much use it in whatever way you want.

You could use buttons to skip up and down patches in whatever increment you like.

You can assign single patches to a button - even multiple single patches which could be switched between via different button press actions (tap, double-tap, long press).

You could have a single button scroll through a list of single patches populated by whatever you like.

You have two expression pedals but you can change what each expression pedal controls by programming message changes to a button or several buttons.

You get the idea…

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

The MC6 is really flexible and you can pretty much use it in whatever you want.

You could use buttons to skip up and down patches in whatever increment you like.

You can assign single patches to a button - even multiple single patches which could be switched between via different button press actions (tap, double-tap, long press).

You could have a single button scroll through a list of single patches populated by whatever you like.

You have two expression pedals but you can change what each expression pedal controls by programming message changes to a button or several buttons.

You get the idea…

Is it fairly difficult or easy enough to figure it out?

What is the display showing? Whatevers assigned to the corresponding button?

Sorry to ask so much. Im very interested.

4 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Is it fairly difficult or easy enough to figure it out?

What is the display showing? Whatevers assigned to the corresponding button?

Sorry to ask so much. Im very interested.

It’s reasonably straightforward. You can make it as simple or as complex as you like, depending on what you want it to do. For instance, I spent time figuring out settings on the FI which let me use the MC6 to play 5-note chords on the FI by sending out pitch offsets per button. There’s enough there to achieve many things.

The text on the display is user-definable. Each preset has two toggle positions and messages can be triggered from either position or both positions. There is also a toggle shift state so a third option to send messages from.

Check Morningstar’s YouTube channel for tip videos.

Midium is also capable of this stuff and much more but is more expensive. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Quatschmacher said:

It’s reasonably straightforward. You can make it as simple or as complex as you like, depending on what you want it to do. For instance, I spent time figuring out settings on the FI which let me use the MC6 to play 5-note chords on the FI by sending out pitch offsets per button. There’s enough there to achieve many things. 

The text on the display is user-definable. Each preset has two toggle positions and messages can be triggered from either position or both positions. There is also a toggle shift state so a third option to send messages from.

Cheers, bud.

You might have just cost me an extra 150 quid!

Edited by lidl e
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

A far superior pedal in every way to the Deep Impact, and with all 9 of its original sounds.  

He really should have used hand pulled screen prints on the cases. The sticker lets it down!

I know it's not important,  but it would be cooler.

22 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Heres and odd issue.

When turning the parameters knob, the third bank light fades in and out. Is that normal?

Yes. All detailed in the manual. It represents the data of that parameter - it switches on and off between positions. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Yes. All detailed in the manual. It represents the data of that parameter - it switches on and off between positions. 

I should probably read that!

Just received yesterday and only messed with the presets last night at rehearsal. 

My big issue now is do i pull the trigger on the midibeam 4 or wait and save for the morningstar!

I definitely see the benefits of the MS6, but it costs more than the pedal with shipping and duty

Edited by lidl e

44 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Just received yesterday and only messed with the presets last night at rehearsal. 

My big issue now is do i pull the trigger on the midibeam 4 or wait and save for the morningstar!

I definitely see the benefits of the MS6, but it costs more than the pedal with shipping and duty

You can buy the MC6 in the UK:

https://thorpyfx.com/collections/morningstar-engineering

Also, it’s an investment if you end up getting more MIDI-capable pedals.

Personally I’d go with the Morningstar as it opens up a lot more potential in the pedal than the midiBeam can. You could pick up a used MC6 or MC3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lidl e said:

Definitely use the manual! I spent the first year of owning my FI V1 just fiddling with presets and asking questions in here.. but as QM rightfully said to me previously, the manual has it all. 

Also be sure to check out the patch directory through the editor/manager software. Some great sounds made by QM and other users. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

Please do, I put a lot of love into it. 

I will have read it cover to cover by the weekend!

What is your relationship with the company? Are you an employee? Or just a big fan?

Edited by lidl e

On 17/11/2022 at 17:19, lidl e said:

I will have read it cover to cover by the weekend!

What is your relationship with the company? Are you an employee? Or just a big fan?

I’m not employed by them. I originally got involved in the v3 development as a volunteer beta tester but then ended up having a huge development contribution to the firmware as they took on board most of the ideas I came up with. Lots of the cool new feature ideas, improvements and refinements in the pedal and the editor are things I thought of. Back in the day it was me who kept pestering Andras to implement full ADSRs in the FI and my badgering paid off; it also helped in finally getting better patch management, which Zsolt and I did for v3.60. I’ve been heavily involved in everything since v3.00 and have written all the manuals since then. (I also did beta testing and development for the 4Control.) So yes, I’m a big fan. 

I do similar stuff for Source Audio and Morningstar.

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/11/2022 at 15:54, Quatschmacher said:

I’m not employed by them. I originally got involved in the v3 development as a volunteer beta tester but then ended up having a huge development contribution to the firmware as they took on board most of the ideas I came up with. Lots of the cool new feature ideas, improvements and refinements in the pedal and the editor are things I thought of. Back in the day it was me who kept pestering Andras to implement full ADSRs in the FI and my badgering paid off; it also helped in finally getting better patch management, which Zsolt and I did for v3.60. I’ve been heavily involved in everything since v3.00 and have written all the manuals since then. (I also did beta testing and development for the 4Control.) So yes, I’m a big fan. 

I do similar stuff for Source Audio and Morningstar.

Is there a way to power the midibeam4 off a pedalboard power supply or do you need an external adapter? Is there an adapter to run the 5v usb off the 9v outputs of the power supply?

5 hours ago, lidl e said:

Is there a way to power the midibeam4 off a pedalboard power supply or do you need an external adapter? Is there an adapter to run the 5v usb off the 9v outputs of the power supply?

I have no idea, I only ever powered it directly from the mains or my PC during testing.

There are folks who use powered USB hubs on their boards and I guess you could power it from something like that.

It’s a bit of an oversight that it can’t be directly powered via standard 9V supplies. Another reason I’d rather recommend the Morningstar stuff. 

I have no idea, I only ever powered it directly from the mains or my PC during testing.

There are folks who use powered USB hubs on their boards and I guess you could power it from something like that.

It’s a bit of an oversight that it can’t be directly powered via standard 9V supplies. Another reason I’d rather recommend the Morningstar stuff. 

Cheers.

I really loke that morningstar but i cant justify the extra 150 quid. I only have the one midi pedal so far. 

My plan is to start with the midibeam4 and if i get into it and am using my board a lot, upgrade to the morningstar. 

I did find a harley benton power supply with a USB so I'll grt that i think

Edited by lidl e

Have you got a used morningstar 6 to sell by any chance?

2 hours ago, lidl e said:

Have you got a used morningstar 6 to sell by any chance?

No, afraid not. I sold my MC6 shortly after I bought it because the MC8 came out and I wanted more buttons.

I sold my MC8 recently as I am beta testing the MC6 Pro now and its extended functionality means I don’t miss the extra two buttons much.

You can pick up a used MC6 (or the cheaper MC3) if you look around. There is an MS Facebook group and they come up there. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lidl e said:

I really loke that morningstar but i cant justify the extra 150 quid. I only have the one midi pedal so far. 

My plan is to start with the midibeam4 and if i get into it and am using my board a lot, upgrade to the morningstar. 

The extra cost easily justifies itself. Buy used for less.

The Morningstar stuff holds its resale value. The midiBeam won’t.

Truly, I’d recommend waiting and getting the MS. If you don’t get into it, you won’t lose much, if anything. 

• Like 1