Jump to content

A New (Music) Career In A New Town


Recommended Posts

On 13/06/2021 at 20:26, Nail Soup said:

I'm from Luton, and it wasn't always so. Pretty good scene once upon a time. Now though, I think you are right. Pity for such a large town ☹️.

My band use to use London Road three or so years ago, and recorded a demo there. Now we rehearse somewhere more central for the whole band (Fenny Stratford).

I've used Terry Chapman for a guitar repair. No complaints there either.

 

Good luck with the relocation musically and otherwise!

Thanks @Nail Soup 👍😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All the best for the move Nik, hope to catch up with you up there (you never know, if it takes you any longer to list 'The Thing' I might be able to justify a trip up......). Given your ability, your experience and your personality it won't take you very long to find a few bands and a network of like-minded people

Of course, if you played DB it would take even less time 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m in Sandy myself so literally just down the road. 
 

Practice spaces I would echo what else has been said in this thread, I’ve used London Road studios in Baldock and Soundarc in Shefford for rehearsing for years. There is also a room at Bedford music centre that is available for practicing.
 

Music scene is quite good in Stevenage for pub gigs.


Hitchin has a really good metal scene centred around the Club 85 venue. They do Rhythms of the world in hitchin too which is a weekend town takeover festival. 
 

Baldock has Balstock as previously mentioned which is a similar affair to ROTW. And uses lots of pubs and places as venues up the high street. 
 

Bedford has quite a few pubs that will put live music on and Esquires is the big venue in the town and has a good scene for music. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/06/2021 at 19:16, PatrickJ said:

Gary, what's your rate for changing pickups?  I hate soldering and can never make a neat job of it.

Pm me some details Patrick and I can then give you an accurate price. Cheers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

Good luck in your home and all the best with your next musical venture. Stevenage - the Red Lion -shudder!!!!!!!

Cheers Steve, 

You've made me want to go and check out this place now... 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Beedster said:

All the best for the move Nik, hope to catch up with you up there (you never know, if it takes you any longer to list 'The Thing' I might be able to justify a trip up......). Given your ability, your experience and your personality it won't take you very long to find a few bands and a network of like-minded people

Of course, if you played DB it would take even less time 😁

Ha ha - excellent Chris! 😂

And of course, its a statement I'm not even going to begin to try and challenge.. 

As for 'The Thing', I can nae make up my mind Captain.. I keep changing my tiny electric bass player's mind over it.. 😉😁

Anyway, you'd be welcome up North anytime mate... 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, simon88wilson said:

I’m in Sandy myself so literally just down the road. 
 

Practice spaces I would echo what else has been said in this thread, I’ve used London Road studios in Baldock and Soundarc in Shefford for rehearsing for years. There is also a room at Bedford music centre that is available for practicing.
 

Music scene is quite good in Stevenage for pub gigs.


Hitchin has a really good metal scene centred around the Club 85 venue. They do Rhythms of the world in hitchin too which is a weekend town takeover festival. 
 

Baldock has Balstock as previously mentioned which is a similar affair to ROTW. And uses lots of pubs and places as venues up the high street. 
 

Bedford has quite a few pubs that will put live music on and Esquires is the big venue in the town and has a good scene for music. 

 

Thanks @simon88wilson

That's absolutely brilliant! 👍😊

Wow, we're practically neighbours then.. We should arrange to meet up for a drink sometime...? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I live very close to TheGreek and my bands tend to rehearse in Stevenage or Hertford. One of the bands has a good relationship with the guy who runs the Practice Roomz and he has set us up with some good gigs in the past. Baldock is a good town for gigging with its festival and I used to play regularly at the White Lion. There's plenty of pubs around and about that do "festivals" in summer, Todd in the Hole just outside Stevenage being a good big one, and a lot of community based ones too in Stevenage, Royston, etc. Plenty of action but you need to work to get it and it's not always paid (anybody who wants to debate that point please go back to any of the multiple threads on the topic). 

Terry Chapman in Stevenage is great for set ups and neck repairs. I've taken him all kinds of carp that I've bought off ebay and he's brought it to life for me. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

I live very close to TheGreek and my bands tend to rehearse in Stevenage or Hertford. One of the bands has a good relationship with the guy who runs the Practice Roomz and he has set us up with some good gigs in the past. Baldock is a good town for gigging with its festival and I used to play regularly at the White Lion. There's plenty of pubs around and about that do "festivals" in summer, Todd in the Hole just outside Stevenage being a good big one, and a lot of community based ones too in Stevenage, Royston, etc. Plenty of action but you need to work to get it and it's not always paid (anybody who wants to debate that point please go back to any of the multiple threads on the topic). 

Terry Chapman in Stevenage is great for set ups and neck repairs. I've taken him all kinds of carp that I've bought off ebay and he's brought it to life for me. 

Thanks @uk_lefty - that's great! 👍😊

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Terry Chapman in Stevenage is great for set ups and neck repairs. I've taken him all kinds of carp that I've bought off ebay and he's brought it to life for me. 

Terry is a member here - @nosbig....and, yes, he can do miracles...

He's currently recovering from Cancer so make sure he knows you're coming.

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

Good luck in your home and all the best with your next musical venture. Stevenage - the Red Lion -shudder!!!!!!!

My old band played there, we’d heard horror stories of how the locals treated the bands but we went down fine. Probably helped that we had as many of our mates with us as there were locals in the pub, bullies don’t often go for equal opportunities.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...