Why become a member? ×

Fingerpicking guitarist new to bass

fatwarry

As the title says I'm a fingerpicking guitarist  I also play classical guitar. I recently took up bass and have found playing with fingers very easy as it's pretty much the same as classical guitar rest stroke. However, I play guitar with nails and I'm finding that gives me a "thinner" more trebly sound than I really want on bass. Bit of a long shot but I'm wondering if there's anything I can slide onto my fingertips to cover my nails when I play bass. I'm envisaging something a bit like the fingerpicks you can get for guitar but made of something soft to give  fuller sound. Any ideas?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fatwarry said:

As the title says I'm a fingerpicking guitarist  I also play classical guitar. I recently took up bass and have found playing with fingers very easy as it's pretty much the same as classical guitar rest stroke. However, I play guitar with nails and I'm finding that gives me a "thinner" more trebly sound than I really want on bass. Bit of a long shot but I'm wondering if there's anything I can slide onto my fingertips to cover my nails when I play bass. I'm envisaging something a bit like the fingerpicks you can get for guitar but made of something soft to give  fuller sound. Any ideas?

As you're finding, bass is a bit different to guitar, and has its own strengths and weaknesses. There are several potential solutions to your wanting your 'cake and eat it'. For example, how about trimming your nails and wearing finger picks for guitar..? The easy way, however, is to roll back the tone of the bass, to reduce the treble a bit, or use other strings, such as flat-wound, or even nylon tape-wound. I've never come across anything as you're asking, except maybe thin gloves (yes, there are several eminent bassists that play 'gloved'...).
Not sure that this helps much; others may chip in. B|

1 hour ago, fatwarry said:

I came to bass from classical guitar too, and use the same technique for bass playing. I cut my nails though.

Steve Harris plays using his nails, and uses flats. Although he does have a distinctive clangy tone.

I you have long fingernails the only way I can see them not catching the strings is to adopt a plucking technique similar to a double bassist. A doublebass is usually plucked using the side of the finger tip, so would be beside your nail, as in this link. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/A62RFFja6njc6tTp6

The only other option is to buy some of those fake thumbs used for 'The disappearing handkerchief' trick. 😁

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3X-Soft-Rubber-Thumb-Magic-Simulation-Fingers-Appear-Disappear-Joke-Trick-Props-/202672360175?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

The problem with wearing coverings on your fingers is you will lose sensitivity to touch and feel. Much of bass playing with your fingers relies on being able to feel how the strings respond and adjust what you do accordingly. Playing with nails will likely result in a thin, spiky sound. If you need to keep your nails long for the guitar, might be best to play bass with a pick. It will also save wearing out your nails (which will happen pretty fast if you play on roundwounds at reasonable tension). Sacrilege, I know, but there it is.