Why become a member? ×

Peavey Zephyr C4

SteveXFR

I have a Zephyr C5 through-neck 5er, which I got just before the Grind range was launched in the early 00s, genuinely can't remember exactly when! I think these were Korean-made but I don't have any date info - unhelpfully, mine doesn't have a serial number.

The Grinds would have changed over the years but the first ones were very similar to the Zephyrs, lacking the bubinga body veneers and with an ugly front body slap contour, below the fretboard heel.

My C5's a very nice bass, well put together & playable (if you don't mind narrow spacing on a 5) but something of a boat-anchor weightwise. Always found the passive soapbars a bit weak, if I ever used it for more than noodling at home, I'd probably want to upgrade to something a bit beefier.

16 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Is it much different to the Grind? Is there a way to work out what year it is from the serial number? 

There's a few  differences.

Scale length, Grinds were 35" scale length. 

Pickups. Zephyrs have 4 wire soapbars wired in series, you could go parallel or tap. Grinds are 2 wire in series.

Bridge. Grinds had mono saddle bridges with through body strung option.

I'm pretty sure Peavey pulled the plug on them either 00 or 01 to make way for the active bolt on neck Grinds. Turned out nobody was too interested in that style of Grind so production stopped after 20 months.

Afraid the only folk who could date by SN would be the factory that built it, customer service in Meridian don't even know Zephyrs exist 😀

• Like 2

That's a good point, there is no serial number. Sometime around 2000 is close enough 

It's a really nice bass for what it cost. I might put on some EMG passive pickups sometime but the originals are good enough. I wouldn't describe them as weak, at least not compared to my old active Ibanez 

• 11 months later...

I have the 5 String through neck version, i bought mine in late 2000? The shop didn't have it for that long as a recall. Very well built bass and was my main for 10 years!! I started to find it a little "muddy" so i swapped out the pickups and pre for EMG to brighten it up. Its now a fretless that i still occasionally use! :)

I had a C4 a few years ago, and wondered why the hell i sold it.  Lovely bass.  Love Peavey 4 string necks,  probably why i've also owned 2 Rudy Sarzo  Peaveys

C4 pics, and also the serial number of mine, though i didnt bother checking the date

PVC4a.thumb.jpg.8e6c05b7e158e643df2d8602ee167235.jpg

PVC4b.thumb.jpg.332b98a6f42c501dedc8320c013608a6.jpg

PVC4dc.jpg.8b7a5afd6a3604ddacca3316a9585a30.jpg

PVC4f.jpg.9585defd5353daf32fa00993bb47726e.jpg

PVC4d.thumb.jpg.6991f5f70f9313023d774f2f2507e662.jpg

PVC4e.thumb.jpg.9cc35273e51444300c5ffd9e233fa16d.jpg

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1