Why become a member? ×

Doesn't seem right, somehow......

Bilbo

12 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

... and being American I wouldn't be remotely surprised if he uses a lot of it for philanthropy, and he probably thinks he'd rather crystallise the asset now so he can have more of a role in deciding how it gets used.

There is a great deal of discussion these days in rarefied creative circles about how best to preserve an artistic legacy. That can involve astonishingly complex questions of intellectual property, considerable wealth in various forms, long-term revenue, the integrity of a body of work, locations of archives, and philanthropic choices that can be set out during the lifetime of the artist. There have been too many episodes of heirs and trustees arguing over estates, and particularly over assumptions regarding the wishes of the deceased.

Dylan's decision settles a lot of questions and frees up a great deal of wealth than can be used effectively. For example, the amount involved could establish a slew of programmes geared towards emerging musicians, or performance venues. Perhaps Dylan has something like that in mind, perhaps not -- but it would certainly be easier to devise such programmes using the proceeds of selling intellectual property than it would be to rely on royalties for funding.

I know that Dad and others are philosophically opposed to extreme accumulation of surplus wealth. Fair enough, but that wealth exists and does not simply disappear unless it is truly based on a bubble. It matters a great deal, therefore, what arrangements wealthy individuals make. Perhaps it would be reasonable to wait until we see what arrangement Dylan makes before passing judgment.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

And so it continues...

Today it's been announced that Hipgnosis have bought all - or a significant part of - the publishing to both Neil Young ($150m) and Lindsey Buckingham's back-catalogues.

It's a free economy of course, but along with recent purchases from Bob Dylan, Jimmy Iovine, Stevie Nicks... I wonder where it will end...?

I find it slightly depressing.

These are investments, so a return is going to be wanted. Licensing would seem to be the big earner (there are no royalties for radio play in USA), but there is a limited number of studios who can afford to pay the big money. So will every advert soon have a recognisable song?