Jump to content
T-Bay

Anyone like saxes?

Recommended Posts

Just bought this one to my add to my Tenor and Alto. It’s a 1925 Martin C melody. It needs a repad but otherwise very nice. Should be with me in a couple of weeks from the states.

A9AB2A91-974B-41C1-9546-BFE23EFDEA2F.thumb.jpeg.51b0dd319c703922f7e69fcc10f92ac5.jpeg

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Very nice. Here are mine: Trevor James Signature Custom Raw Alto and Tenor (sublime instruments) and my much loved Mauriat Baritone and Soprano:

 

 

3D4F28A4-179E-4913-BD63-A2C05FC5E518.jpeg

3D59369E-0853-4E6E-AFC2-583F9EBAB75E.jpeg

6E641FD7-9EED-4BF8-AD39-70A98B3DF817.jpeg

4786D101-B1EE-4EEF-9FEC-76CB8973E852.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sax used to be my favourite instrument - as I've got older, less so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just gave my pal a Martin C melody sax!!!  STill own and play a Martin Master Typewriter alto from 1931......in museum condition and original case......no pinky tables!  All keys are pearls.........

Check out this guy.........no electronics, circular breathing on a Supa Bass.................

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheGreek said:

Sax used to be my favourite instrument - as I've got older, less so.

Had 22 at one stage!  Then divorce............

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you think there was a connection?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a cheap Cecilio Soprano about 12 months ago from a friend - he'd previously had it serviced and re-padded.. Progress is a little 'glacial' but I'm very happy with it..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Do you think there was a connection?

Yes..........along with 29 basses!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have my late father's 1937 Selmer Balanced Action tenor. A lovely instruments, that I can get a scale of C major out of!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Selmer Series III Tenor I bought in the late 1990s. It still smells of a thousand Working Men's Clubs. I play the flute rather than the sax nowadays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to dislodge the reed using a spoon.

The mouthpiece has now been subjected to a soaking in fairy liquid and then another soaking in Milton anti-bac.

I'm still tempted to throw it away and get another one.

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got one of these - impulse buy - never going to use it.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I had to dislodge the reed using a spoon.

The mouthpiece has now been subjected to a soaking in fairy liquid and then another soaking in Milton anti-bac.

I'm still tempted to throw it away and get another one.

 

I must have 30 odd mouthpieces I need to sell or get rid of, will shout you if I find a spare Yamaha.......no charge

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ProfJames said:

I must have 30 odd mouthpieces I need to sell or get rid of, will shout you if I find a spare Yamaha.......no charge

Don’t suppose there are any C melody ones in there? (Guessing not)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, T-Bay said:

Don’t suppose there are any C melody ones in there? (Guessing not)

Will check.  I had a Martin C Melody and it came with the original mouthpiece............not sure if I still have it but if it is there you will be welcome to it.  Going to check at the weekend so will let you know.  If not you should go onto www.cafesaxophone.com excellent site for sax players, loads of help is offered - it is the sax equivalent of Basschat

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

Will check.  I had a Martin C Melody and it came with the original mouthpiece............not sure if I still have it but if it is there you will be welcome to it.  Going to check at the weekend so will let you know.  If not you should go onto www.cafesaxophone.com excellent site for sax players, loads of help is offered - it is the sax equivalent of Basschat

Thanks! That would be fantastic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ProfJames said:

I must have 30 odd mouthpieces I need to sell or get rid of, will shout you if I find a spare Yamaha.......no charge

Thank you! Very kind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2020 at 20:36, ProfJames said:

Will check.  I had a Martin C Melody and it came with the original mouthpiece............not sure if I still have it but if it is there you will be welcome to it.  Going to check at the weekend so will let you know.  If not you should go onto www.cafesaxophone.com excellent site for sax players, loads of help is offered - it is the sax equivalent of Basschat

Hi mate, did you have any luck on the mouthpiece? The sax arrived today and I am totally smitten. The pads are nowhere near as bad as expected. I tried my tenor mouthpiece and got a tune out of it but intonation was out. It needs a couple of new springs and a damn good service but I may be able to save the pads with a good feed. That would be useful as I can’t find a uk supplier of white/ cream leather ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

Hi mate, did you have any luck on the mouthpiece? The sax arrived today and I am totally smitten. The pads are nowhere near as bad as expected. I tried my tenor mouthpiece and got a tune out of it but intonation was out. It needs a couple of new springs and a damn good service but I may be able to save the pads with a good feed. That would be useful as I can’t find a uk supplier of white/ cream leather ones.

I need to go back to my pal's lockup again as I am missing a box with mpcs and bass pedals, etc.  So not yet.  However, woud recommend that you contact Dawkes woodwind in Maidenhead as they have a professor of sax and mouthpieces (true!) who is based there.  Great advice, good people I think his name is Prof Anton Weinberg....give them a call.......I will still look but I am not sure when I can get there t check...reliant on a pal...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

I need to go back to my pal's lockup again as I am missing a box with mpcs and bass pedals, etc.  So not yet.  However, woud recommend that you contact Dawkes woodwind in Maidenhead as they have a professor of sax and mouthpieces (true!) who is based there.  Great advice, good people I think his name is Prof Anton Weinberg....give them a call.......I will still look but I am not sure when I can get there t check...reliant on a pal...

No problem, thanks mate. There are a couple of types available from the states so might give one of them a try. The tenor one is good enough for me to check leaks etc but is about a semitones out over the full range.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

No problem, thanks mate. There are a couple of types available from the states so might give one of them a try. The tenor one is good enough for me to check leaks etc but is about a semitones out over the full range.

Another price direct from Windcraft (owned by Dawkes)............https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windcraft-FAXX-C-Melody-Mouthpiece-Plastic-USA/372108969768?epid=1949893834&hash=item56a36c4728:g:gWgAAOSwm~lfj7lG

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the connection with saxes and bassists? I played the trombone! I mean, I could be loud and obnoxious without an amp, I get that. But at least I already read bass clef. And I'm not TRYING to be cheeky, just wondering...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...