Why become a member? ×

Gary Numan

sshorepunk

Ended up listening to some Gary Numan tonight, some nice fretless playing on certain tracks, I'm 95% sure the bassist is Paul Gardiner or Mick Karn? Can someone tell me if I'm right or wrong, were there others?

Cheers

Tony

Edited by sshorepunk

Mick,I dont think is on lp with Gary...Thats Gary doing a very good Mick Karn impression..Mick toured..and I think its that Alan Partridge track you might have been confused over...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlhQ3iC54QM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlhQ3iC54QM[/url]

Always preferrred the earlier Tubeway Army stuff as being stronger songs - Jo the waiter, Me I disconnect from you, etc
Andy Coghlan ("Wal") used to play bass for him too, now runs a studio a couple of miles from me doing mainly acoustic and Welsh language recordings - top guy and top bassist.

[quote name='Marky L' post='435873' date='Mar 16 2009, 10:40 AM']How do you get that lovely lovely so '80's fretless sound that Karn does on Music For Chameleons, the Alan Partridge track??

What effects are going on there??[/quote]
The 'Karnivore' sound isnt chorus.....Its doubletracked with a slight split left/right to each side in the mix. Old strings,heavy handed....cranked Bi-amping too...

Just Karn,he cant read a note,and does not know a note on the neck,but he 'hears' melody wonderfully....

Mick Karn was a huge reason i wanted to play bass. Fantastic

He plays on 'Dance' by Gary Numan and plays on 'Night Talk' & 'Slow boat to China' off the top of my head. Numan loved 'Tin Drum' by Japan and wanted to have a similar sounding album.

Apparently Karn slagged off the album to the music press after it's release and he and Numan fell out over it

Mick Karn played bass on five tracks of the album [i]Dance[/i], and also some saxophone.
Pino Palladino played bass on the entire [i]I Assassin[/i] album, as well as a bit of guitar.
Joe Hubbard played on the [i]Warriors[/i] album and also toured with Numan in '83.

Gary's current bassist is a guy called Tim Muddiman. David Brooks plays keyboards, although he has played a little bass on Numan tours in the past.

[quote name='matt_citizenbass' post='435703' date='Mar 16 2009, 12:28 AM']Gary Numan works for south west trains.
he once checked my ticket.
no jokes[/quote]
Yeah, I was discussing this with my art teacher. He said that Gary dropped into obscurity for a while, but is making a bit of a comeback recently.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='435716' date='Mar 16 2009, 12:59 AM']You know I hate to ask
But are trains electric?

sorry :)[/quote]
Nah, but I'm fairly sure Friends are. amidoinitrite?

Zach

[quote name='Marky L' post='435873' date='Mar 16 2009, 10:40 AM']How do you get that lovely lovely so '80's fretless sound that Karn does on Music For Chameleons, the Alan Partridge track??

What effects are going on there??[/quote]

MB1. :)
A similar sound can be obtained......
If you make Swans eat Beefburgers!

[quote name='Jarhead' post='436651' date='Mar 16 2009, 09:10 PM']Yeah, I was discussing this with my art teacher. He said that Gary dropped into obscurity for a while, but is making a bit of a comeback recently.

Nah, but I'm fairly sure Friends are. amidoinitrite?

Zach[/quote]

Numan never worked for South West trains ffs, I saw him live a few times during the 'fallow' years.

My mate and I asked for his autograph once outside his gig, He said "got a pen?"...."no" we replied...."gonna be a bit difficult then isn't it", he replied.

He was very short though

[quote name='Tengu' post='436544' date='Mar 16 2009, 07:49 PM']Gary's current bassist is a guy called Tim Muddiman. David Brooks plays keyboards, although he has played a little bass on Numan tours in the past.[/quote]

The keys player played a bit of live bass when I saw 'em about 4/5 years ago.

[quote name='Shaggy' post='435860' date='Mar 16 2009, 10:22 AM']Always preferrred the earlier Tubeway Army stuff as being stronger songs - Jo the waiter, Me I disconnect from you, etc
Andy Coghlan ("Wal") used to play bass for him too, now runs a studio a couple of miles from me doing mainly acoustic and Welsh language recordings - top guy and top bassist.[/quote]
+1

Andy's an old mate of mine from his North London days.. He has a beautiful pale Blue Wal Pro2e that he once lent me to tour with about 20 years ago.. He tells a great 'wedding night' story about that bass which, if you haven't heard it, you should ask him to tell you! :)

Brilliant bloke and a great player as you say, though I haven't spoken to him for about 3 years now.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='436707' date='Mar 16 2009, 10:12 PM']+1

Andy's an old mate of mine from his North London days.. He has a beautiful pale Blue Wal Pro2e that he once lent me to tour with about 20 years ago.. He tells a great 'wedding night' story about that bass which, if you haven't heard it, you should ask him to tell you! :)

Brilliant bloke and a great player as you say, though I haven't spoken to him for about 3 years now.[/quote]

Small world! :rolleyes: Yup. played the blue Pro2e (in fact recorded with it as my MM Sabre developed an earth hum that day), still his main bass for live work. He's also got a fretless Pro2e in natural ash which I keep trying to buy off him!
I'll check that wedding night story.... :D