Why become a member? ×

Music for setting up PA

darkandrew

Reminds me, band I was in we used to put music on via a phone before, between and after so that it wasn't a shock when we began playing. One wedding gig our singer left his iPhone on random...we went out for a drink and when we came back we found the bride and groom desperately fiddling with the PA in an attempt to turn off chapter four of Harry Potter audiobook!

Set the tone for the rest of the gig, that one did...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

When setting up, we used to use "The Race" by Yello, mainly because it was included on the Alan Parsnip soundcheck test cd. We'd run through the frequency sweeps before hand and try to balance out any dominant frequencies. (It's a pretty antisocial thing to do and a lot easier if the place is empty)

After we'd done that, we'd then play anything we knew well.

4 hours ago, Moos3h said:

Reminds me, band I was in we used to put music on via a phone before, between and after so that it wasn't a shock when we began playing. One wedding gig our singer left his iPhone on random...we went out for a drink and when we came back we found the bride and groom desperately fiddling with the PA in an attempt to turn off chapter four of Harry Potter audiobook!

Set the tone for the rest of the gig, that one did...

Reminds me of a Christmas party gig we did years ago. Set the kit up, and left a CD player on with a 'Now that's what I call Christmas' type compilation on, which started with Slade's 'Merry Xmas everybody'. We left to get something to eat, and on our return I commented to our keyboard player what a coincidence it was that the CD was playing the Slade song again. Then it dawned on us it had accidentally been left on 'track repeat' , and the audience had been listening to Noddy Holder's classic over and over for nearly two hours. Can't believe nobody had manged to turn it off....🎅

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

When I used to set up PA, the choice of reference material would depend on What was going to be played. Quite often it would be dance music, so Groove Armada’s Vertigo or Goodbye Country was a good reference.

Edited by xgsjx

16 hours ago, casapete said:

Reminds me of a Christmas party gig we did years ago. Set the kit up, and left a CD player on with a 'Now that's what I call Christmas' type compilation on, which started with Slade's 'Merry Xmas everybody'. We left to get something to eat, and on our return I commented to our keyboard player what a coincidence it was that the CD was playing the Slade song again. Then it dawned on us it had accidentally been left on 'track repeat' , and the audience had been listening to Noddy Holder's classic over and over for nearly two hours. Can't believe nobody had manged to turn it off....🎅

...........and then you open the set with "Merry Xmas Everybody" 😀

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

...........and then you open the set with "Merry Xmas Everybody" 😀

Honestly? We finished the second set with it!! 🤣

(To be fair though this was a very pis*ed up audience, consisting mainly of office and works Xmas parties. We used to do up to 20 consecutive nights of these every December in a local hotel - those were the days.)

Edited by casapete
  • Haha 1

We don't use music to set up the PA, but we may play some music for the audience.

We are covers band, so rule is not to play anything in our set, and preferable not the same bands even.

And one lesson we learnt early on....... do not soundcheck (if the sound check is just before you start) with the same song you will start the set with 🙁....... the audience will get confused!