Jump to content

Yamaha BX 1 - headless bass


ProfJames
 Share

Recommended Posts

I had a BX-5, the 5 string variant, and it was sublime.  Beautifully made, sounded awesome.

The 'Buyers Sellers Remorse' list just keeps on getting bigger and bigger....

Edited by Paul S
dimwittery
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
20 minutes ago, Fil1ip said:

Do you have a picture, does it sound well.

Yes and yes!  It is in A1 condition, including OHSC with key and tools.  Guy in the USA bought it originally, just home use, kept in in his loft and sold it to a dealer a couple of months ago.  Been looking for nearly a year I reckon and was fortunate to find this.  First beg session on it this afternoon but with just ten minutes use it has some great tone and depth low end.  More later....................

Yamaha BX 1 Bass.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

Yes and yes!  It is in A1 condition, including OHSC with key and tools.  Guy in the USA bought it originally, just home use, kept in in his loft and sold it to a dealer a couple of months ago.  Been looking for nearly a year I reckon and was fortunate to find this.  First beg session on it this afternoon but with just ten minutes use it has some great tone and depth low end.  More later....................

Yamaha BX 1 Bass.jpg

That's absolutely awesome!!!! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still have my white one from 80's. Wasn't worth trading or selling when i bought a new bass so i took frets out and made it fretless. Was my first attempt so not a great job.

Really thin necks, very fast and a pretty good EQ selection. Series / parallel switching too if i remember right. 

Can't fault it really. Wish i had left it fretted.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Murphy's blooming law!!  Good price as well.  Checked my one out at a lesson an hour ago.....immense bottom end, need to wear a strap as not good for sitting down.  Really sharp notes, love the tone.  My tutor said it was incredible quality but then again it's a Yamaha.  Very sought after I believe......still have to find someone who wants one though. 

FUlly recommend, very fast neck, light and I reckon really good for any genre that you like.  No mistaking that '80s sound if you want it.  Great controls as well.........fully recommend.  Pretty much the same price (Richtone Music one) as I paid with shipping and duty.  The dealer I bought from is Stardust Guitars in Vienna, Virginia.  Can only recommend them.  Have some lovely guitars in stock as well.

All in all......not as good as the SHuker headless (what would be) but not that far away for what I need, sustain is very good as well, in fact great low end - never expected that!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks great ! Glad you like it . 
I was wondering what the sound is like , compared to other headless basses.

I have owned a full bodied steinberger xm2, and the sound was great imho ( bright and punchy ) . I used to own a  hohner stick bass ( passive ) . The sound wasn't as good imho , but a very nice bass. 
My Washburn status  was very close to the steinberger sound , but due to the active electrics playing up I had them removed . It still sounds great , but not as twangy . 
Ironically enough, the various bands I used to be in  hated the bright tones and preferred the other ones I mentioned ..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE     it is versatile, easy to play, fast neck and responsive!  It is not to be played sitting down but it is so light that is not a problem.  Would place it above the Ibanez Axstar and the Kramer Duke but then the Duke is really the '80s epitome of sound...and not to be altered.  It won't alow it.

My Shuker is the one that I really need to experiment with but not had time due to work.  I am extremely pleased with all four of my headless basses and at the moment the BX1 is the "go to" as the Axstar needs setting up due to string height.   Full recommend the BX1 as I would the other three!  The Shuker is a one off I believe but there is the brother of my Duke still for sale on Reverb, blcak one.  There is also a BX1 for sale on Reverb, from the USA but it has been heavily used.  Not any Axstars available unless yuo want to ship from Japan I think.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

I only play sitting down these days , due to only recording stuff on soundcloud these days . 
My friend had a Kramer duke . Great sound and incredibly low action , but I couldn't get on with it playing finger style . Pick playing was great . 

You are more than welcome to try out any of mine.  Also have an Ovation Magnum MkII in my small collection which is definitely one for sitting down!  

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ProfJames said:

You are more than welcome to try out any of mine.  Also have an Ovation Magnum MkII in my small collection which is definitely one for sitting down!  

 

Thanks for the kind offer prof 

You have some fine basses. I'll have to decline your kind offer though, as I think my probable next step is to get a proper status seeing as my Washburn status has always been my go to bass. 
I nearly sold my Warwick a few weeks ago, but that is very light and has a slimline body and judging from the reaction I am better off keeping for now .

Out of interest, where are you based ? Oops ! Berkshire , which is a bit too far from me in poole 😺

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Thanks for the kind offer prof 

You have some fine basses. I'll have to decline your kind offer though, as I think my probable next step is to get a proper status seeing as my Washburn status has always been my go to bass. 
I nearly sold my Warwick a few weeks ago, but that is very light and has a slimline body and judging from the reaction I am better off keeping for now .

Out of interest, where are you based ? Oops ! Berkshire , which is a bit too far from me in poole 😺

I would love to try the Washburn in addition to a Status and Steinberger.   Poole is not that far!!!  Bought an old Merc from SW Car Auctions in Poole a few years back, great place and loads of great motors.  A Merc 500SEL, 1982.  Loved it!!  I bought the Axstar and BX! becai=use of the write ups I reviewed over the last three/four years.  Also they are pretty rare, inexpansive really but still rare.  I try to wait for prestine condition versions to become available.........if I have the patience!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ProfJames said:

I would love to try the Washburn in addition to a Status and Steinberger.   Poole is not that far!!!  Bought an old Merc from SW Car Auctions in Poole a few years back, great place and loads of great motors.  A Merc 500SEL, 1982.  Loved it!!  I bought the Axstar and BX! becai=use of the write ups I reviewed over the last three/four years.  Also they are pretty rare, inexpansive really but still rare.  I try to wait for prestine condition versions to become available.........if I have the patience!

Unfortunately , I don't drive so everything seems far now 😺

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, FlatEric said:

Hi all.

Just popped in for a brouse and spotted this thread.

Bit of a shock, exactly the same as mine - I think the image should be listed as a library pic.

http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.com/2013/05/yamaha-bx-1-headless-bass.html

Had mime for quite a while - it is a Very Nice bass, indeed.

Cheers. 😎

Yes, I nicked your photo as the one's on the dealer sit ein the USA were not downloadable!!  Read your website reviews before I bought a couple of T40's as well.  Excellent reviews, spot on.  Just put mine in to have a set up and it is working very well indeed, seems easier if anything.  Have you reviewed teh Magnum MkII....?

Yamaha-Bx1-2_50.jpg

Edited by ProfJames
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FlatEric said:

Gotcha - Understood.

I have seen sales on ebay, in the past, with their description and my pics. That was some time ago now, before everyone had a camera on their phone!!

The Mag II had a post, still the most visited page but never really revisited it. Still got it, still play it.Magnum II

😎

I have one too, love it.  Really enjoy your pages, excellent reviews, been looking each time I bought a bass.  What do you think of the Steinberger Synapse?  Won't steal your photos again, sorry .....will send money!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...