Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

9 hours ago, onehandclapping said:

Well it sits next to a sunburst 64 jazz in the cupboard  ,with the same style case so it helps “old people” find the right bass🤣

You'd be so disappointed if you opened the wrong case. First world problem. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That's a problem I'd love to have. They do say you should never meet your heroes, perhaps it's better if I never have a 60's bass. To be honest I couldn't play well enough to do it justice. I've a 97 MIJ Jazz and a MIM Mustang and they are superb guitars. I can't complain about them at all. I really like the Mustang.

Nice problem to have. 

• Like 1

On 25/09/2023 at 17:07, Reggaebass said:

Recently listed on reverb and serious money, but I don’t think I’ve seen a 63 precision in such good condition and all original, really low action too, if this was in London I’d be tempted to have a look 

https://reverb.com/uk/item/73819849-fender-precision-bass-pre-cbs-1963

I actually meant to quote this 63 not the 66! Dirt cheap in comparison to the 66.

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

Hi guys, what are you thinking on this , in need of cleaning and maybe some restoration as it’s been in storage for apparently 54 years 😧, what’s it worth and what would be the value once restored 

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/david-duggleby-scarborough/catalogue-id-srda10703/lot-0e92cae3-582c-4775-9521-b06600ee80cd

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Hi guys, what are you thinking on this , in need of cleaning and maybe some restoration as it’s been in storage for apparently 54 years 😧, what’s it worth and what would be the value once restored 

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/david-duggleby-scarborough/catalogue-id-srda10703/lot-0e92cae3-582c-4775-9521-b06600ee80cd

I cannot find a reference to whether the electronics and truss rod are still working? The bass and case looks like they have been stored in a location subject to varying humidity resulting in the quite deep corrosion of the chrome and nickel plating. The back of the neck looks a bit rough too. The pickguard looks perfect with no cracks.

Although the provenance is interesting I don't think the Rascals connection adds value unless a family member or seriously dedicated fan gets involved in bidding.

If it still works and can be cleaned and set up without refinishing the neck we could expect a dealer to list it in the region of £15k +/- £2k. The lack of original case could impact that to a certain degree.

If I wanted a 62P I'd be happy to pay £6k plus fees (£2k) for that as it is.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

I cannot find a reference to whether the electronics and truss rod are still working

Thanks SM, that was the first question I asked when it was listed, haven’t heard back yet 

11 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

Although the provenance is interesting I don't think the Rascals connection adds value unless a family member or seriously dedicated fan gets involved in bidding

I couldn’t find anything about them really, bit before my time 😁, I wasn’t actively looking but I’m on their mailing list and it looked interesting 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Also interesting is the transition from slab to curved fretboard during 61 to 62.

image.png.6a82ca7101db8881e1de7264915fa13c.png

image.png.c6c8d6667f6678a275f0dfe68664d006.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

As a collectors item it would likely do well due to the originality. But to be played I think the neck would need refinishing because there appear to be quite a lot of scars, which would in turn decrease the value.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s a nice original bass with some mojo. It needs a good clean but what restoration would be appropriate for an instrument like that? Should things like the rusty chrome covers be touched or just left alone?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Velarian said:

That’s a nice original bass with some mojo. It needs a good clean but what restoration would be appropriate for an instrument like that? Should things like the rusty chrome covers be touched or just left alone?

Yeah I don’t really know much about that side of things, what would you clean it up with, I suppose a metal cleaner on the hardware but what would be used for the body, you’d have to be careful with the finish I would guess 

7 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

The lack of original case could impact that to a certain degree.

I've had two of those cases, they were often sold from new with the guitar, so it could be that it is in fact the "original case" that came with the bass, in fact I'd put money on it. Many Fenders in the early 60's were shipped over to the UK without Fender cases and then sold with Selmer cases. As for it's value, do a comparison with similar items, there are a few around at the moment. If it can be had for significantly less than those currently advertised, then it might be worth a gamble. There are a number of concerns for me, the neck (what's it actually like now?), the truss rod and the pickup, do they work? 

Tony, is there any opportunity to go and have a look?

• Like 1