Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

My 66 has a hootenanny strap button but it’s missing so now there’s just a hole. Anyone know where to get one, I think they’re a bit different to a regular strap button and the screw must be different too? 

59 minutes ago, briansbrew said:

Yep the previous owner changed them out in 1967 for some reason, funny how one has no R on it

Could it be that the original tuners would have been reverse wind and they were changed to avoid confusing the hell out of someone with other, more modern basses? I know this from experience. 😉

10 hours ago, Velarian said:

Could it be that the original tuners would have been reverse wind and they were changed to avoid confusing the hell out of someone with other, more modern basses? I know this from experience. 😉

That was my understanding as they can be a nuisance if your not used to them 

19 minutes ago, BassAgent said:

I'm currently checking out a 1970 Jazz, refin in LPB. Is it possible to have a Jazz from 1970 with 60's bridge pickup spacing? I believe Fender switched somewhere in '70 or '71?

Sounds possible to me, most of the info says it changed about 1970 , so a transition time could probably have either, I’d have thought they overlapped at some point 

17 hours ago, ped said:

My 66 has a hootenanny strap button but it’s missing so now there’s just a hole. Anyone know where to get one, I think they’re a bit different to a regular strap button and the screw must be different too? 

Maybe contact Mark from Limelight? He puts aged hootenanny buttons on his vintage repro Fender-alikes

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ped said:

The parts listed in this schematic might help, perhaps contact Fender? 

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10001/019-1020A_SISD.pdf

21 hours ago, BassAgent said:

I'm currently checking out a 1970 Jazz, refin in LPB. Is it possible to have a Jazz from 1970 with 60's bridge pickup spacing? I believe Fender switched somewhere in '70 or '71?

Oh by the way, is there anything else specific I have to look out for? Tuners without the trademark-R of course, pots with the correct code and the works, but anything specific for that time period?

22 minutes ago, BassAgent said:

Oh by the way, is there anything else specific I have to look out for? Tuners without the trademark-R of course, pots with the correct code and the works, but anything specific for that time period?

Vintage bass world can be handy for a general overview, just put the year in on the database 

http://vintagebassworld.com/description.php?manufacturer=Fender&product=Jazz&year=1970

12 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

Whilst no one ever uses these anymore, I imagine it’s probably a good solution for a bass that has a lightweight body and a tendency to neck dive.

As you say, this kind of thing you'd think would be a perfect neck dive solution, can't think why people don't do it.. 

9 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Nilo, you do know that Harry Potter's not real don't you?.. 😁

I believe that Harry Potter existed long, long, long, long time ago, before the wind, before the snow. Actually my surname is "Potter" in english, so i am pretty sure.

1 minute ago, Waddo Soqable said:

So do you make pots then? 

Ok, i don't believe that Harry Potter is real, i just tested You mentally. But my surname is Podnieks - "Potter", but i don't make pots, i sell board games, radio cars and drones and play bass! 😁

3 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Ok, i don't believe that Harry Potter is real, i just tested You mentally. But my surname is Podnieks - "Potter", but i don't make pots, i sell board games, radio cars and drones and play bass! 😁

Interesting, Presumably your ancestors made pots at some point. Didn't think people played board games much these days, drones however are a good seller I'd think..