Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Good video here I thought that might might interest some here 

That was entertaining. I wish they’d done a few more modern vs vintage comparisons though. I liked the bit about not leaving your vintage bass at home, but taking it out and using it. This is why I sold my ‘63, for some reason I stopped gigging it (probably the, “What if it gets nicked,” mindset) and it seemed a waste, so off it went. It was a great bass, played really well and was light, but that caused a good amount of neck dive sadly. What I thought was missing from the video was that not all vintage instruments are not necessarily good just because of their age, there are dogs out there too. 

Anyway, I enjoyed that, it’s cheered me up, thanks for sharing @Reggaebass. Oh yeah, now I want a vintage again*:facepalm:

*Not going to happen.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ezbass said:

That was entertaining. I wish they’d done a few more modern vs vintage comparisons though. I liked the bit about not leaving your vintage bass at home, but taking it out and using it. This is why I sold my ‘63, for some reason I stopped gigging it (probably the, “What if it gets nicked,” mindset) and it seemed a waste, so off it went. It was a great bass, played really well and was light, but that caused a good amount of neck dive sadly. What I thought was missing from the video was that not all vintage instruments are not necessarily good just because of their age, there are dogs out there too. 

Anyway, I enjoyed that, it’s cheered me up, thanks for sharing @Reggaebass. Oh yeah, now I want a vintage again*:facepalm:

*Not going to happen.

Yeah it would have been good if they had done a bit more playing and comparisons, I’d like to see the basses hanging on Andy’s wall at his home, I can understand some not wanting to take them to venues but I suppose it depends on the place and how safe you think it will be, I certainly play mine every day 

5 hours ago, Pow_22 said:

Ive drooled over this one at Bass Gallery for days and days.  Seems reasonably priced but I'm not enough of an expert to know what a re-fret and new nut does to value

https://thebassgallery.com/collections/bass/products/fender-precision-1963

Looks great, I’ve asked this question before and Imo, I think as long as the re-fret has been done properly and with no damage to the fretboard it’s ok, if anything it should setup really good, value wise it will be a bit less than an all original one , same as anything that’s been changed, and would possibly put a collector off because it’s not 100% original, but to me it’s a sign that it’s been played , I’m pretty sure they change the nut when they re fret but perhaps someone else could confirm that 

6 hours ago, Pow_22 said:

Ive drooled over this one at Bass Gallery for days and days.  Seems reasonably priced but I'm not enough of an expert to know what a re-fret and new nut does to value

https://thebassgallery.com/collections/bass/products/fender-precision-1963

No mention of the replacement pickguard? That's a bit of an oversight. 

I take that back. It looks like it might be original... the photo is just very saturated.

Edited by wateroftyne

On 20/06/2023 at 21:26, wateroftyne said:

No mention of the replacement pickguard? That's a bit of an oversight. 

I take that back. It looks like it might be original... the photo is just very saturated.

Based on what I see in this pictures, I'm pretty certain that the pickguard of that '65 has changed. There is no hint of any shrinkage of the material, which is unusual I think. Along with the looks of the tort I would say it's a replica.

The pickguards from this era that I have seen had more depth, swirl, and we're far less busy. The pickguard on the '65 looks the same in all the photos from different distances and angles, I don't think it's a saturation issue.

Edited by SurroundedByManatees

10 hours ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

Based on what I see in this pictures, I'm pretty certain that the pickguard of that '65 has changed. There is no hint of any shrinkage of the material, which is unusual I think. Along with the looks of the tort I would say it's a replica.

The pickguards from this era that I have seen had more depth, swirl, and we're far less busy. The pickguard on the '65 looks the same in all the photos from different distances and angles, I don't think it's a saturation issue.

Yeah - I’m not convinced.

8 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

It looks pretty much the same as the 66 Sunburst that Andy Baxter has for £2k less. The bass gallery is a very reliable dealer and very knowledgeable. Can’t think they’d make a mistake like not recognising a replacement pickguard. Can one year older make it worth £2k more?

I think they are very similar specd. The '65 with Brazil fretboard though vs indian rosewood on the '66. I'd go with the one that Baxter is selling if I had to choose, considering the prices too. These '66s can be very, very nice basses.

• Like 1

I can't be 100% but I think the BG Precision has a replacement celluloid tort scratchplate. The swirls are tightly packed and salami-like and there is less randomness, yellow blobs etc, compared with the Andy Baxter one. I have bought '60s style celluloid tort guards in the past from that US seller on eBay and they look very like the BG one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304867217982?hash=item46fb80923e:g:f6gAAOSwhKdkJw1W&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0OiE0xoxQOylnx0sR%2F4e26i7Mt03uF%2B1FXtwqxCQDV8NsbZeJ%2FA%2FybnRCwmsUeakez0TElKvulEUnNGTCIxEcA%2BzIRDRu74GKMokVPcObp8U6mcdqMgJEalbrQT0HrmvkXWcJV1d5lWCndfPtXqnchyJPPM646hj9OisBAy24CRYEOrRJm8OijE4c4XufZuy2SJtWnEu3UMDFT5yKqFJeDIWkXsdXEPcno43vtVaEh8%2BDcJwPF%2BPxdGC13vkAOI6%2FuVdKH6yOMLhHdgrL0ZYOH4%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5Tnz_acYg

Edited by Clarky

20 minutes ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

I think they are very similar specd. The '65 with Brazil fretboard though vs indian rosewood on the '66. I'd go with the one that Baxter is selling if I had to choose, considering the prices too. These '66s can be very, very nice basses.

I think I would too, isn’t the 65 priced higher because it’s an L series, so pre CBS 

I don’t think you can compare the prices between BG and AB as simply as down to the guitar details, because they have different operating costs. BG are in Camden and I’m sure have high rents, whereas AB left London to setup shop in the north.

As a consumer, if you’re going to buy one of these surely you want to have a good look first, so it depends on where (or how far) you’re willing to travel.

Both have worked on and seen far more vintage Fenders than any of us so I would trust either on what they say is original.

• Like 1

Not my thing really, I’ve seen jazzes but not many precisions in this colour, and I never knew that the pickguard was painted over black 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325700663192?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=_Z4VHXENTr6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=1wDkd4CjTIi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

On 23/06/2023 at 00:20, SurroundedByManatees said:

So you think that pickguard can not be changed on vintage Fender, not at all. It automatically lists it on replica list?

Edited by nilorius

Not my thing really, I’ve seen jazzes but not many precisions in this colour, and I never knew that the pickguard was painted over black 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325700663192?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=_Z4VHXENTr6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=1wDkd4CjTIi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Some say the anti-gua is like the antichrist of basses.

• Like 1

That one looks about ready to involuntarily become a Steinberger.