Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

22 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Those B necks are beautiful. I don’t know why they’re not more widely available on new P’s.

Weirdly my MIM P bass has a B width neck. Didn’t know it at the time but it plays really nice. It’s a 60th anniversary special so don’t know if they were one off specs for that model or if all 2006 MIM Ps had B width.

*Won’t post a pic because it isn’t a vintage fender

23 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

I can’t answer your question, but I would love a P with a Jazz width neck. My 73 & 78 are both B necks at 41mm. The 78 is a proper handful though. Would you mind measuring your nuts (ooo err) and let us know what they measure? 

I will do. I won’t be able to do it for a week though. Having said they’re Jazz width necks, I’ve always assumed they are but never actually measured them!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tony_m said:

Nice basses, very high prices.

Before considering doing any business with “Essex Recording Studios”, I would suggest a bit of internet searching beforehand. He gets discussed a lot on The Fretboard Forum.

• Like 1

It says:

“(The bass has a) Fender factory natural stripped finish with matching factory stamps… The body cavity still has some of the original Blond paint, which was the only color on Precision basses made during this era”

Is that true, the factory painted them all then stripped some back to be sold as natural?

On 13/05/2023 at 10:25, wateroftyne said:

Those B necks are beautiful. I don’t know why they’re not more widely available on new P’s.

My CV70 P has the nearest I've ever found outside of the original. Almost baseball bat thickness...near B width. 

On 23/04/2023 at 18:49, briansbrew said:

Anyone know what the ES stamp on the body means...

A bit late but I came across this while reading up on a few custom colours, think it’s pretty much what was mentioned 

IMG_0675.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ped said:

It says:

“(The bass has a) Fender factory natural stripped finish with matching factory stamps… The body cavity still has some of the original Blond paint, which was the only color on Precision basses made during this era”

Is that true, the factory painted them all then stripped some back to be sold as natural?

Sounds feasible as I don’t think natural finishes were available in their catalogs until the early 70s , I’ve read that blonde was the standard transparent finish they used , I think it was a furniture lacquer, perhaps someone has more info here 🙂

• Like 1

Can you take a look at this tuner, I have been doing a clear out and totally forgot that I had these in a box. I took them off and old Fender some years ago, there is no ® above the Fender logo and if you look closely the paddle is a bit on the rough side. Could this be a fake ?

IMG_0022.thumb.jpg.ab98038dcf206b05044160f02c162877.jpg

On 14/05/2023 at 14:29, briansbrew said:

Can you take a look at this tuner, I have been doing a clear out and totally forgot that I had these in a box. I took them off and old Fender some years ago, there is no ® above the Fender logo and if you look closely the paddle is a bit on the rough side. Could this be a fake ?

I’d be surprised if it was fake, there are some out there without the (r) E.g early 70s … maybe CBS were too tight to pay for the extra mark 😂

• Like 1

On 14/05/2023 at 14:29, briansbrew said:

Hi Brian, according to my book the small registered trademark R  was used until 77, then they started using Schaller but I’ve seen some 1980 ones with the R, maybe it’s early, here’s a 1969 with no R

IMG_0676.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Hi Brian, according to my book the small registered trademark R  was used until 77, then they started using Schaller but I’ve seen some 1980 ones with the R, maybe it’s early, here’s a 1969 with no R

IMG_0676.jpeg

This is from a ‘72 from Mr Baxter… 

Not sure the books always get it right 👍

IMG_4122.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

IMG_0676.jpeg

Yes , spot on and I have found some on a 70 P without the R, maybe somebody rubbed up the paddles to get some pitting off hence the scratches

• Like 1