Unfortunately Overwater have historically leaned towards the heavier side of things, although obviously they could build you something lighter if you asked. 

Just now, 4000 said:

Unfortunately Overwater have historically leaned towards the heavier side of things, although obviously they could build you something lighter if you asked. 

I'm probably not in that price bracket :-). £2K would be a sting for me, but I'm pretty tempted to whack it on the card anyway.

Really fantastic basses. I owned a Progress for a while and it was truly marvellous however, at almost 11lbs I just had to move it on because I couldn't bear the weight #☹️

I can see about 3 lbs of wood they could remove in the upper left area... :)

• Haha 1

I guess I'm the only person who thinks that bass is pretty ugly, horses for courses etc...

Posted (edited)

Still own this beauty I had made in 1986. Sounds great. Fabulous neck. Not too heavy but it's only four string. Prefer my headstock though.

20180118_230322.jpg

Edited by TrevorG
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, TrevorG said:

Still own this beauty I had made in 1986. Sounds great. Fabulous neck. Not too heavy but it's only four string. Prefer my headstock though.

Definitely.

I take it yours still has the original filter pre-amp?

• Like 1

I changed the neck pick up to a Bartolini. May ask Chris May if he has an old explorer pick as I've lost the original. Otherwise it's as purchased.

I rang enquiring about Overwaters in the early 90s but the guy was so offhand it put me off.

I wanted to know prices/availability etc but he wouldn't tell me & just kept asking how much exactly I had to spend. 

Not knowing their prices (pre internet days remember) I guesstimated £1000 ish (I had a LOT more available having just sold a house)

His reply - "you're not gonna get a lot for that here" - I said I had more if necessary so he took my address & said he would send a price list.

He didn't & I bought elsewhere!

They were great with me and the bass (back in 86) only cost about £750! Finally met Chris May at a guitar fair last year. Seemed really nice. Sorry you had a bad experience.

On 01/08/2020 at 19:17, el borracho said:

I still like the look of them. Maybe somebody was having a bad day!

They built a beast called the C bass which had a 36' scale neck. Still looking for one.

Unlike the example in the OP the 5-string versions of the Original in the 80s also had a 36" scale length.

Here are the two I use to own:

1983 fretless:

DSC01848.jpg

and a 1985/6 fretted:

DSC01105.jpg

Both have now been moved on to other Basschat members.

• Like 1

On 01/08/2020 at 19:17, el borracho said:

I still like the look of them. Maybe somebody was having a bad day!

I’ve always found Chris to be really pleasant. It may have been someone else. 

Is there a John Entwistle influence here? He had a thing for hybrid 'Fenderbirds' and had a not dissimilar model with Status.

image.jpeg.b972b62239bbb86c34dbf1db7c6d7722.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, visog said:

Is there a John Entwistle influence here? He had a thing for hybrid 'Fenderbirds' and had a not dissimilar model with Status.

image.jpeg.b972b62239bbb86c34dbf1db7c6d7722.jpeg

I’ve read Chris May and Entwistle work on a bass very early on. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Unlike the example in the OP the 5-string versions of the Original in the 80s also had a 36" scale length.

Here are the two I use to own:

1983 fretless:

DSC01848.jpg

and a 1985/6 fretted:

DSC01105.jpg

Both have now been moved on to other Basschat members.

I’m in love. If you still had  them I’d be  making an offer!

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By olicor
      Hello everyone ! I just received my new cort GB74 JH and i should celebrate but unfortunately this bass is really heavy ! 4.96 kg !!! for a 4 it s really heavy !  I don t know how it is possible but i saw a corean review of the exact same bass where it s weighed at 3.78. I ve got a bad back (hernia) and it has to go back. here are two links. the first one is the corean review where you can see at 3'50'' the bass weighed at 3.78, and the second one is me wheighing the exact same bass (black for mine) at almost 5kg !!! my scale is working fine cause i wheighed my active jazz at 3.9 kg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlGcr-kzp8o&t=252s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIA3ZgmsJWM How such a difference can be ? are the reviewed bass "selected" to increase sales ? Is it a valid reason to ask for a return and money back (the seller didn t mentionned the wheight) ? i emailed cort and i m waiting for a reply. Do you think that it s acceptable for a brand to sell such heavy basses and with such weight disparity ? thanks  
    • By Baloney Balderdash
      Have you managed to get at least close to what you believe might be the ultimate high gain bass distortion setup, and would like to share how you approached it, or do you just want to share your general thoughts about this topic, then this thread would be a chance to do so.

I for one think I may have found the ultimate high gain distortion tone for me, at least for the musical project I am currently working on .
      I know that these days it seems popular to split you bass signal up in a lower clean register and a parallel upper frequency register distorted signal and then mix the 2 signals together, or even use a separate wet and dry rig to do so, but personally I don't really subscribe to that recipe. 
      As an example of a professional bass player who doesn't use this approach either I know Lou Barlow from Dinosaur Jr. doesn't either.
      As far as goes for his heavy overdriven tone, which in my opinion sounds awesome, at least live he overdrive both his lows and highs and then leave his mids clean, though he doesn't exactly isolate the specific frequencies either, starting by splitting his bass signal up in 3 separate parallel paths, one path going to an overdriven Xotic Bass BB Preamp boosting a Ampeg SVT, for kind of his lower register overdrive tone, then a second path going to an old solid state mids heavy Peavey bass amp, which he runs clean for his sort of mid frequency tone, and finally a third parallel path runs his bass signal through an overdriven Marshall JCM 800, for a more upper frequency emphasized overdrive tone .
      All 3 signals just kind of mixed and overlapping a lot frequency wise, without any kind of fancy crossover or further EQ filtering going on, just as they come out of the separate cabinets of the 3 amps, and the result os an absolutely crushing, yet quite well defined, fairly heavy overdriven main bass tone.
      Anyway back to the topic of my personal take on heavy bass distortion, as said, I think I finally managed to nail the perfect tone for me.
      Mind though that this is specifically for a sort of progressive psychedelic stoner rock project of mine that I am currently working on some songs for, and since the plan is for my bass to be the main instrument of this project, with the additional primary instrumentation predominantly consisting of just drums/percussion and vocals, though with some more sparingly added extra instrumentation that exclusively is going to serve a secondary, more flavor oriented, function, also the bass lines for this project typically won't primarily have a supporting function as otherwise is the most common traditional role of bass, but will serve a much more structural dominant and explicit melodic role, and doesn't necessarily strictly has to fill out the traditional sonic spectrum of a bass either, for one it is tuned 2 half steps above regular 4 string, E standard tuning, as in F# standard tuning, F#1 to A2, like the 4 lowest strings of an 8 string guitar, and is further more run through an always on polyphonic octaver, adding a 1 octave up effect in addition to the regular bass signal, giving an effect similar to that of an 8 string "octave" bass, with pairs of respectively bass and octave strings.
      This of course does give me some more freedom of choice regarding my high gain distortion tone, compared to if I needed to still primarily fill out the more common traditional role of a bass.
      What I managed to achieve is a massively heavy and absolutely thunderous crushing distortion tone with a quite raunchy fuzz-esque quality, but at the same time having a grinding somewhat clanky overdriven edge that actually prevents it from getting too muddy, despite a lot of low end heavy distortion going on, and which contributes to the distortion still having a great deal of well articulated definition.
      The first attributes to a Moksy Black Rat, Rat clone, in Vintage mode (classic Rat type distortion), with the gain turned about half way up (which would actually equal to a fairly high gain distortion tone), and the high end slightly rolled off, though still enough to give it some of that typical raunchy fuzz-esque grid of a classic Rat type distortion, stacked in front of a Joyo California Sound, which is a Tech 21 California preamp pedal clone, meant to emulate a Mesa Boogie type amp/drive, and which is fairly dark voiced, set to a medium gain but quite hefty kind of overdrive, both placed in parallel effects Loop A of my Boss LS-2 (parallel effect loops mixer/switch pedal), and the latter attributes to a Joyo Orange Juice, which is essentially a seriously sized down and scraped clone version of the Tech 21 Oxford preamp pedal, meant to emulate an Orange type amp/drive, set to a somewhat clanky and quite grinding kind of medium overdrive, placed in parallel effects Loop B of the LS-2.
      Loop A and Loop B is then mixed together at an about a 50/50 ratio, and actually kind of fusing relatively smoothly/seamlessly together, without ending up sounding like 2 distinctly different signals sitting on top of each other  (which is kind of my biggest issue with how the popular clean bottom/distorted top approach often end up sounding), but as said, with the grinding, relatively bright sounding, medium gain overdrive from the Orange Juice preventing the quite bottom heavy, raunchy and fuzzy, high gain distortion from turning into a muddy blurry mess, but in fact actually ends up making it sound surprisingly well defined and articulate. 
      I realize this is a lot of relatively abstract explaining, filled with more or less vague adjectives that people will have no possible chance to get any kind of verification of, but I hope it might still be of at least some interest and inspiration to some people, and I will try to pull myself together to actually record some audio samples of my miked up rig, demonstrating how this actually sounds in reality in the nearest future, and update this post with some links to the uploaded examples of my high gain distortion tone.   

In the meantime I hope others will contribute to this thread with their thoughts about and personal approach to high gain bass distortion, and even though I initially failed to provide any actual audio examples to back up my words, I hope others might be more capable of maybe delivering some audio clips or videos to back up their thoughts and claims on this topic. 

• By Rubbersoul
      This is the first tune off our forthcoming debut ep. Hope you like it! Would love some feedback if you can spare the time  

• By Paul S
      Trace Elliot head GP-12 SMX preamp, I think this is 250W but not certain.  I kept hold of this old head as to my ears it was the better of the two TE heads I owned.  It has an extremely fat baked in sound that I really liked.  Sat in its case taking up room so decided to sell it.  FIts snugly into this 'Peli-a-like' case which is pretty much indestructible.  Like all Trace gear this is stoopidly loud.  The fan is a bit noisy at bedroom volume but nothing serious and no-one has any business playing through one of these in their bedroom anyway..
      £150 collected from South Benfleet in Essex - including the case.  I'd rather not courier this.  Could possibly deliver or meet for fuel costs depending upon distance.

• By chyc
      Hello all!
      What are people's thoughts on using Ashdown's AA-50-R as an upright bass combo? It looks awfully similar to a PJB Cub in terms of advertised spec, but of course the devil is in the details.
      I sent an email to Ashdown around a month ago but never got a reply about this. Ideally I'd try one, but
      1) There isn't one near me
      2) I don't want to try one and break it