Why become a member? ×

Oh No! Yes!

miles'tone

2 minutes ago, steve-bbb said:

gates of delirium for me please

whilst the close to the edge and fragile era is my overall favourite im going to throw the cat amongst the pigeons and suggest a few tracks from drama too (maybe my bias as that was the only time i saw them live) - the much later stuff has some nice moments but none of it has the raw energy of the 70s material

Drama is my Yes Bête Noir. I, too, saw them on that tour (Edinburgh Playhouse) and they were, to me, shockingly bad.

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

Despite being a huge Genesis and Rush fan, I avoided Yes most of my life, ‘cos I always thought they were too flowery.

Then, about three years ago. the penny dropped. I adore them now.

I'm a massive Rush fan too and same regarding Yes before I heard them.

But.. Genesis?*  Is this where I'm heading?!

Dear God! What have I become?!! 

* Genesis to me is Phil Collins and co wearing suits, being everything I hated about crap pop music in the 80s which I obviously rebelled against! 😄

I love  (Peter Gabriel era) Genesis but you can't beat Yes for baroque nonsense. I have yet to knowingly hear a track by Rush. I have no doubt it was an anomaly of my particular teens but every single person that i knew who liked Rush was a knob, which no doubt was a big part of the reason I avoided them, almost certainly unfairly.

1 minute ago, 4000 said:

I post this whenever I can too. The greatest thing ever!

The other tracks - probably on youtube - with Jon Anderson are great too - Roundabout, State Of Independence (my favourite of the bunch), Heart Of The Sunrise, Owner Of A Lonely Heart. Banjo player name of Steve Hackett appears at some point as well.

11 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I love  (Peter Gabriel era) Genesis but you can't beat Yes for baroque nonsense. I have yet to knowingly hear a track by Rush. I have no doubt it was an anomaly of my particular teens but every single person that i knew who liked Rush was a knob, which no doubt was a big part of the reason I avoided them, almost certainly unfairly.

I started with Genesis (ATTWT then Seconds Out), got into Rush later, then Yes much later still. TBH, I much, much prefer Genesis and Yes to Rush, even though I do really like Rush. Rush are much more of a rock band than either of the others. I tried to get a friend, who is a huge Genesis/Yes fan, into Rush but he just can’t get to grips with them at all. 
Genesis and Yes, along with ABBA and maybe Floyd, are my favourite bands. I’ve spent all this week listening to Genesis’s back catalogue whilst working from home. Amazing stuff.

Edited by 4000

1 minute ago, 4000 said:

I started with Genesis (ATTWT then Seconds Out), got into Rush later, then Yes much later still. TBH, I much, much prefer Genesis and Yes to Rush, even though I do really like Rush. Rush are much more of a rock band than either of the others. I tried to get a friend, who is a huge Genesis/Yes fan, into Rush but he just can’t get to grips with them at all. 

It's most certainly too late for me when it comes to Rush. Fragile and Relayer are my top Yes albums but The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is my favourite prog album of all time.

7 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

It's most certainly too late for me when it comes to Rush. Fragile and Relayer are my top Yes albums but The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is my favourite prog album of all time.

It’s funny you should mention the Lamb as it was the only album of Genesis’s I somehow missed hearing. The first time I heard it was the Archive live version and I couldn’t get into it at all. The past few weeks I’ve played the actual album several times and it’s starting to click a bit more. Love the concept and there are some cracking tracks on it, but there are a few weaker ones too. ‘it’ does nothing for me at all, I think it’s a terrible track and such a shame they finished with it. My friend feels the same; in fact it’s been rechristened ‘**it’.😂 Stuff like The Lamb itself though, Fly on a Windshield, Back In NYC......amazing. 

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

The lamb lies down on broadway is one of the few genesis albums I never got on with. no idea why, I think I heard it later and it just didn't stick in the same way other albums did - trick of the tail was the first 'prog' album I ever heard, I loved it and it is still my favourite. Apart from carpet crawlers I find it a bit forgettable. 

I would agree with fragile and Relayer, although I even like the later 80s stuff, 90210 was good. 

Edited by Woodinblack

3 minutes ago, 4000 said:

It’s funny you should mention the Lamb as it was the only album of Genesis’s I somehow missed hearing. The first time I heard it was the Archive live version and I couldn’t get into it at all. The past few weeks I’ve played the actual album several times and it’s starting to click a bit more. Love the concept and there are some cracking tracks on it, but there are a few weaker ones too. ‘it’ does nothing for me at all, I think it’s a terrible track and such a shame they finished with it. My friend feels the same; in fact it’s been rechristened ‘**it’.😂 Stuff like The Lamb itself though, Fly on a Windshield, Back In NYC......amazing. 

Sorry I should have been more specific, the first eight tracks of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway are my favourite prog tracks of all time.

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

The lamb lies down on broadway is one of the few genesis albums I never got on with. no idea why, I think I heard it later and it just didn't stick in the same way other albums did - trick of the tail was the first 'prog' album I ever heard, I loved it and it is still my favourite. Apart from carpet crawlers I find it a bit forgettable. 

I understand this totally, I think it's the stuff you heard first that sticks. I was so gutted when Gabriel left I wouldn't listen to A Trick Of The Tail and I still haven't listened to it (or any other post-Gabriel Genesis album) since.

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

So thats what Awaken would sound like if you took the bass out and over processed it. 

Think I will stick with the Yes version. 

I love both. It’s arguably my favourite piece of music ever. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I understand this totally, I think it's the stuff you heard first that sticks. I was so gutted when Gabriel left I wouldn't listen to A Trick Of The Tail and I still haven't listened to it (or any other post-Gabriel Genesis album) since.

Understandable. 

For me it began a golden age. For me both Genesis without Gabriel and Gabriel without Genesis were better, so it was a win win. Had Gabriel stayed with genesis we wouldn't have had later genesis (which I like) and more importantly, Gabriels solo stuff which I think was hugely significant. What would the world have been like without Gabriel 3 (melt or security or whatever). 

2 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I love both. It’s arguably my favourite piece of music ever. 

I love the Yes version, that leaves me cold. I think the snarly roughness of the bass is a contrast to the sweetness of his voice, and without one it is just a bit too unbalanced.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

As I stated above, I heard ATTWT, then Seconds Out, then Trick & W&W well before I ever heard the actual Gabriel recordings, so that’s my favourite era. I also prefer how the Seconds Out era band play the Gabriel era stuff; they’re a much more fluid, polished band, which I prefer, but, as you say, I heard those versions first and I agree that tends to colour your opinion. I remember hearing the original version of Supper’s Ready on the Friday Rock Show after a couple of years of listening to the Seconds Out version and I was a bit shocked at how different it felt. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Understandable. 

For me it began a golden age. For me both Genesis without Gabriel and Gabriel without Genesis were better, so it was a win win. Had Gabriel stayed with genesis we wouldn't have had later genesis (which I like) and more importantly, Gabriels solo stuff which I think was hugely significant. What would the world have been like without Gabriel 3 (melt or security or whatever). 

I love the Yes version, that leaves me cold. I think the snarly roughness of the bass is a contrast to the sweetness of his voice, and without one it is just a bit too unbalanced.

I think the bass sounds really good on the Todmobile version. What are you listening to it on? I generally stick it on headphones at volume. It’s one of the things that got me looking at Warwicks again. 

I actually think the bass sound on GFTO is pretty understated in Chris’s terms. 

Still, we all hear things differently!

Agree about Gabriel. If he hadn’t left Genesis we wouldn’t have got Solsbury Hill either, which Im having played at my funeral. First time I heard that I was about 15 and at my cousin’s 21st birthday party. It was the first time I got really, really drunk. Apparently I kept putting the track on, over and over and over, and eventually someone had to physically remove me from the area of the stereo.😂

Edited by 4000

10 minutes ago, toneknob said:

Loved it! Looks a bit dated now though.

12110522-16x9-large.jpg?v=2

hahah - I meant 90215 but I always got that confused with my american zip code (odly, seeing as that was 94133!)

But what do you mean dated? Still as relevant today, the story of a bunch of young teens at college where noone likes Shannen Doherty and noone questions why clearly one of the students should have left college a decade ago

Edited by Woodinblack

My favourite Yes album has always been Drama. I can listen to it endlessly. For those who hate it because Trevor Horn is singing, remember that the guy is also a real terrific bass player and also Chris Squire biggest fan. He was also the producer of 90125...

Just now, Hellzero said:

My favourite Yes album has always been Drama. I can listen to it endlessly. For those who hate it because Trevor Horn is singing, remember that the guy is also a real terrific bass player and also Chris Squire biggest fan. He was also the producer of 90125...

I really don’t know what mine is. It’s a toss up between The Yes Album, CTTE, GFTO and Relayer. My problem with GFTO is the production, which is a bit flat, otherwise it would probably be that. 

Big fan of Trevor. He produced Seal too, who I love.

• Like 1

Huge Yes fan to Drama. They lost me at 90125 and I never came back. By then, I was more a fan of Bruford and Brand X and off to Jazz heaven. I love Jon Anderson'Olias, Song of Seven and Animation albums but think FOOW is overrated. 

There are transcriptions off a few tunes off Fragile and the whole of CTTE on my website

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/

There is even one off FOOW. 

Edited by Bilbo

I’m lucky in that I really like the 90125-era stuff as well; maybe not as much as the classic stuff, but I still think it’s great. I love It Can Happen and Changes. I like Big Generator too; Love Will Find A Way is top quality AOR. 

After that I do feel they get a bit spotty, even for me. Some really good tracks, but quite a few indifferent ones too. Still, I would say the same about Genesis from Duke onwards.