Why become a member? ×

thinking of going into amplifiers, so any input would be apprieciated!

umph

obviously i can only build amplifiers to suit what i want them to sound like which is LOUD and clean. So i'd like to try and get some views from other people as to what they'd want from a valve amp i've talked to a few people and so far the outline is roughly that the amp will come in 3 different bands of power (v2,v4,v6) which is a reference to how many valves are in the power amp and you will have a choice between a 6ca7/el34 pinout and a 6l6/kt88/6550 pinout with seperate bias pots for each valve so no need to get matched sets. The transformers will also be rated to handle any valves you put in there so if you want to change from 6550s to kt88s it'll only need a quick rebias and it'll be good to go. The amp will also have a choice between speakon / normal jack outs(as is i'm leaning toward to just speakon outputs) and will have dummy load protection so if you forget to put attach a speaker it wont blow the transformer.

so what other features would you look for with a modern valve amp?

Edited by umph

Personally a 200w power section for me is the best balance of sound, weight and volume. I also thought the visual bias system on the Trace was one of the most useful features I have seen. Other than that, keep it simple, I think. The amp should be about a great core sound without the need for powerful EQs and so on.

ped

Anywhere between 200 - 400 watts of power. Not your PMPO - the proper watts that blows the froth off your beer when you're 200 foot from the stage.
I like sliders. I like knobs (I'm gonna regret that!) so sliders OR knobs - not a mixture!
Speakon outputs
NO fixed bias - IMHO the only flaw in the otherwise superb Mesa Boogie offerings
None of this 1 - to - 10 markings on the gain/volume knobs - knobs should be marked - Stun - Wound - Kill - Vaporise
Beer proof coverings

I don't want a valve amp, but if I did I'd like to have variable power output, so 50 watt, 100 watt etc switches. Spend serious money on the components so that the "flat" sound is all you need. But for those who really need to fiddle, have 3 controls, gain, tone and master. Oh and make it weigh 5 lbs.

[quote name='Hamster' post='433089' date='Mar 13 2009, 12:22 AM']Anywhere between 200 - 400 watts of power. Not your PMPO - the proper watts that blows the froth off your beer when you're 200 foot from the stage.
I like sliders. I like knobs (I'm gonna regret that!) so sliders OR knobs - not a mixture!
Speakon outputs
NO fixed bias - IMHO the only flaw in the otherwise superb Mesa Boogie offerings
None of this 1 - to - 10 markings on the gain/volume knobs - knobs should be marked - Stun - Wound - Kill - Vaporise
Beer proof coverings[/quote]

haha i'll be rating the amp properly, sounds like kt88s will be the most popular then! i'll be sticking to just knobs to, sliders break to easy, it'll definatly be beer proof aswell

to ped i don't think i could add a bias meter as i intend to have seperate bias pots for each valve, so you'd end up with the hole back on the amp being covered in meters!

As far as I'm aware, there's noone producing a stereo valve power amp, if thats any help? At 200w a side it might be a lucrative market niche for a low volume maker perhaps?

Otherwise, if you could give me a 400w version of my road rashed 2 channel Burman Pro4000HD, with an effects loop, switchable voltage, the Trace V8 compressor, 3 band parametric eq and a smaller chassis I would sell you my sister. Its running some really nice 5157's in the preamp section and EL34's in the power amp section at the mo and it keeps making dirty, seductive noises at my Celinder Classic P when they're not attached to one another.

In an ideal world I'd like something that ran up to 200w. Switchable output impedance like Marshalls used to do. No effects loop. Rotary pots and minimal tone stack - Vol, Bass, Mid, Treb, Presence. Non-master volume. No graphic equalizers. Relatively clean to about 85% then gently increasing 'drive' and soft compression. Round, deep tone.

In black tolex, with a silver (not chrome) panel. Sort of like a colossal blackface Bassman with a hint of Ampeg

Now, deliver that for £300 and we've got a deal

Edited by skankdelvar

I was actually thinking about this the other night. I still intend to buy a all valve amp in the future and was thinking about what I would like one to be like.

I would really like something smaller and lighter than normal if that's possible. Simple controls. I like a tuner out so that i can mute the sound onstage to tune up. Something that i can bias myself. About 400w. I would have to agree about keeping it black - crazy colour schemes are all the rage but I for one am not a fan of orange or yellow - they are not manly colours. A retro logo like White or Matamp had would be cool.

IMHO, valve bass amps = more weight, more bad backs, more reliability issues. No matter how well designed and built. You HAVE to know how to look after them properly to achieve the best reliability, and have the ear of a good tech to service them regularly. All this is great if you're happy doing that, but they're not cheap to get serviced, no matter how you slice and dice it. And I'm saying all this as an electronics tech who was trained on valves, and is rather fond of them. I just would not be so crazy as to take out something weighing any more than the 6.5lbs of the LMII. There's simply no point...And if what you want is clear, clean power, SS is easily the only way to go.
I do want a valve amp. I want a silverface 50W Fender Bassman and 2x15, as I used to use in the Penguin Night Club in Swaziland, in 70/71. That would now be my home practice rig!

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='434337' date='Mar 14 2009, 02:45 AM']In an ideal world I'd like something that ran up to 200w. Switchable output impedance like Marshalls used to do. No effects loop. Rotary pots and minimal tone stack - Vol, Bass, Mid, Treb, Presence. Non-master volume. No graphic equalizers. Relatively clean to about 85% then gently increasing 'drive' and soft compression. Round, deep tone.[/quote]
i was thinking of a valve buffered effects loop, what would be the argument against this? i think my design so far is going to incorparate a master just before the PI but you can always run it wide open to the same effect as it not being there.

in response to everyone i think i'm going to used a baxandall style tone stack which is an extremely flexible 2 band eq and add a mid shift similar to an ampeg. There will also be a rotary FAC pot similar to matamp / orange amps

[quote name='alexclaber' post='433733' date='Mar 13 2009, 02:49 PM']I'd like to seen an SMPS instead of power transformer to lower the weight and then switchable rail voltage or variable number of tubes so you can get similar tube compression/break-up at quiet gigs as at loud ones.

Alex[/quote]
hmm i'll have to look into SMPS's they seem like a good idea i'm a bit warey though as to if they'll be able to supply the voltage / current valves need. I don't like the sound of starved plates with bass aswell as it tends to make the amp bottom out rather than go into proper overdrive.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='433733' date='Mar 13 2009, 03:49 PM']I'd like to seen an SMPS instead of power transformer to lower the weight and then switchable rail voltage or variable number of tubes so you can get similar tube compression/break-up at quiet gigs as at loud ones.

Alex[/quote]

+1 on that, if it's possible. On the other hand and contrary to just about everyone else's opinion, with the advent of good quality, lightweight bass gear (at long last), I'd like to see a lightweight, all valve , programmable pre amp fully featured with multiband valve compression and a comprehensive set of tone controls; preferably analogue but with digital programmability (if that's not a contradiction in terms). Then I can get all the headroom I need with a hugely powerful digital power amp.

I remember the very first Trace valve head, it had a valve input with just a volume control for that pure valve sound and also a GP11 preamp for more control should the player need it. A warm, full valve sound but with the means to get the most out of it - there are already enough 'simple' valve amps out there, and most amps are judged on the range of sounds available.

Just a thought....