Why become a member? ×

Help me pick my music (man)

horrorshowbass

Hi guys , 

thinking of buying a stingray.

Have zero experience with them just want to add that sparkly tone to my arsenal.

Looking at black/maple new style SUB bass (£349)

https://m.thomann.de/ie/sterling_by_music_man_s_u_b._sting_ray_4_bk.htm

OR the Sterling by music man Classic 24 at £568. 

https://m.thomann.de/ie/sterling_by_music_man_sting_ray_classic_24_tlb.htm?o=13&search=1594758214

Has anyone any thoughts/experience with these? Is sterling worth 200 quid more? I understand it has 3 band eq, better pickup and finished better (according to reviews). However if SUB gives me MM sound and is good quality, I would be interested😁 any opinions greatly appreciated.

I had the original SUB 5 string which I thought was solid enough. 

Earlier this year in tried a SUB directly against the Sterling and if you can afford it, it is a nicer bass that you won't be itching to upgrade parts on, particularly this bridge which is far nicer on the Sterling. 

Don't get me wrong the SUB is a Stingray and will get you most of the sound but the Sterling is more refined and will probably last longer in a collection 😁

32 minutes ago, danbanbass said:

Got one better, there’s a sterling ‘sterling‘ bass in the classifieds section with the John east preamp.

Not mine but would be a far better choice.

This 100%......

15 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

Hi guys , 

thinking of buying a stingray.

Have zero experience with them just want to add that sparkly tone to my arsenal.

Looking at black/maple new style SUB bass (£349)

https://m.thomann.de/ie/sterling_by_music_man_s_u_b._sting_ray_4_bk.htm

OR the Sterling by music man Classic 24 at £568. 

https://m.thomann.de/ie/sterling_by_music_man_sting_ray_classic_24_tlb.htm?o=13&search=1594758214

Has anyone any thoughts/experience with these? Is sterling worth 200 quid more? I understand it has 3 band eq, better pickup and finished better (according to reviews). However if SUB gives me MM sound and is good quality, I would be interested😁 any opinions greatly appreciated.

The Ray 24 is a budget version of a 2 band Stingray - it has an improved bridge and other fittings over the SBMM Sub, which is more of an entry level bass.

They both have a 2 band EQ with ceramic pick up - which will mean they will produce a punchy sound. I read some while back that the EQ for the Ray 24 was based on the Musicman Old Smoothie EQ. I think the Ray 24 also has a slab body (similar to the Musicman Stingray Classic). 

Both will give you a sound similar to a US Musicman (watch juliaplaysgroove on You Tube - she uses an SBMM Sub on a lot of videos and sound great). 

An alternative would be a used USA Sub - these are quite sought after and basically a slab bodied, 2 band US built Stingray with cheaper finish (textured paint on the body, black painted neck, non Musicman stamped tuners (but basically the same standard). They were only made between 2003-6 (as 4 string and 5 string - beware - some are passive - an active would be required to get the full Stingray sound). 

28 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

Thanks for the comprehensive answer!! Just what the Dr ordered. Yeah I'm worried if I buy entry level style instrument I'll just want to upgrade in few years although this is my first foray into Ray's.

Before you decide that the SUB might be too entry level, check out the juliaplaysgroove YouTube channel to see what can be achieved on one (completely stock too!) ☝️

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drTStingray said:

The Ray 24 is a budget version of a 2 band Stingray - it has an improved bridge and other fittings over the SBMM Sub, which is more of an entry level bass.

They both have a 2 band EQ with ceramic pick up - which will mean they will produce a punchy sound. I read some while back that the EQ for the Ray 24 was based on the Musicman Old Smoothie EQ. I think the Ray 24 also has a slab body (similar to the Musicman Stingray Classic). 

Both will give you a sound similar to a US Musicman (watch juliaplaysgroove on You Tube - she uses an SBMM Sub on a lot of videos and sound great). 

An alternative would be a used USA Sub - these are quite sought after and basically a slab bodied, 2 band US built Stingray with cheaper finish (textured paint on the body, black painted neck, non Musicman stamped tuners (but basically the same standard). They were only made between 2003-6 (as 4 string and 5 string - beware - some are passive - an active would be required to get the full Stingray sound). 

Dr t stingray, would it be right to say the 24 CA has a wider neck profile like a classic ray and the sub is thinner?

I don't know - you'll need to look on their web site for the specs and also could look at Musicman to compare.

Certainly the Ray 34 has a neck very similar to the MM Stingray, if not the same.

The discontinued Ray34 CA had a narrower neck profile, so it's possible the Ray 24 has (as I say, worth checking before you commit.

A used Ray 34 or Ray 34CA would be another option. Let us know what you decide, with some pics 👍

I bought this Ray24CA a couple of weeks ago on EBay and instantly loved it. It plays and sounds so good. It was a hit with band mates last week at practice. It came set up lovely and complete with new flatwounds and a great hard foam case.

Anyway this is my way of saying go for it.

A51A1550-207C-4C8C-868C-DD4FD541211E.jpeg

Edited by paddy109
  • Like 1

My brother has the SUB and I always found that it gives you the StingRay sound and vibe without question. A little less refined in terms of fit and finish compared to more expensive basses, but still great quality.

The other important shout out is the SUB’s neck is more like a Jazz profile - skinny at the nut and fast to play, where I imagine the Ray 24 would be a more traditional StingRay style. I don’t know your preference, but I would consider this to be a bigger factor than any other in your decision! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, theyellowcar said:

My brother has the SUB and I always found that it gives you the StingRay sound and vibe without question. A little less refined in terms of fit and finish compared to more expensive basses, but still great quality.

The other important shout out is the SUB’s neck is more like a Jazz profile - skinny at the nut and fast to play, where I imagine the Ray 24 would be a more traditional StingRay style. I don’t know your preference, but I would consider this to be a bigger factor than any other in your decision! 

Yeah I'm all about thin necks. Love my ibanez😁

42 minutes ago, paddy109 said:

I bought this Ray24CA a couple of weeks ago on EBay and instantly loved it. It plays and sounds so good. It was a hit with band mates last week at practice. It came set up lovely and complete with new flatwounds and a great hard foam case.

Anyway this is my way of saying go for it.

A51A1550-207C-4C8C-868C-DD4FD541211E.jpeg

That is beaut Paddy

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

Got a SUB last night😁

Couldn't justify paying 200 quid more for 24 CA when it's my first MM.

Love the black/maple flea vibes.

I'll let you guys know how I get on.

Screenshot_20200715-221658_Chrome.jpg

I really want one but if a courier knocks on the door with another bass sized package, Mrs Rasher will highly likely batter me with it 🙈

Please let us know how you find it!

Edited by rasher80

The Ray4 (cheapest version) and Ray 24 both have 38 mm wide necks at the nut (this is similar to a US Sterling or US Ray with the SLO special neck) - the Ray 34 has a 43 mm wide neck at the nut (as per US Stingray, US Sub). 

The Ray4 has a surprisingly wide range of colour options.