Why become a member? ×

My new Maruszczyk---"nitro gloss"?

Radchenko

10 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

It does sound a bit off - but can depend on which Taper of pots were used etc. linear/vintage/modern. Some have a more useable range across the entire dial, others right at the end.

I have to be siding on the fact of being an unhappy customer at this point I am afraid and would be looking for something or everything in return

I don't want to return the bass I think. I really like the neck, and other things. But yes, I want some kind of compensation or solution for the problems.

Thank you

2 hours ago, Drax said:

Yeah that last line isn't great. As we know Adrian can come across quite brusque on email, I always put this down to being lost in translation, plus him being backed up as the sole contact for anything Marus' related.

Yep, always though that they should have someone to deal with customer interaction as he is not good at it.

2 hours ago, Drax said:

I've never heard of anyone just being dumped by them though - I'm sure he'll work something out if you're absolutely not happy. 

There are a few in the Maruszczyk thread that come pretty close.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sibob said:

I was mainly talking about the OP’s email 😉

Si

Yet see, the only real thing missing from OP's mail that would have made it a 'polite' email is a sentence with "Hey, I received the bass - it's awesome, thanks - but I have some questions:".

The rest are legitimate questions, not even that aggressive or attacking. 

I find ironic how someone who has an 'online build configurator' like them can't seem to understand that what people see and what they think they'll receive might be different in some things, especially the ones not visible (ie: how a finish behaves over time, how volume pots blend), and it's ON THE SELLER to answer such questions. The FORTUNE of luthiers around the world are people who chuck thousands and sometimes tens of thousands of pounds on instruments they never even held in their hands. It actually *IS* the purpose of having the custom configurator online, like the one FBass has.

The difference is that if you order a Sadowsky, or even smaller or less known luthiers like Meridian or whatever, and order 'blind' (like most orders are), and you have questions with the results, they will be HAPPY to make sure YOU - the customer - are HAPPY. So you don't need even to bring up examples of things like Foderas or Marleauxes (or well known, very high end boutique places) as you wouldn't even be in a situation like this in the first place. 

Additionally, the OP seems still overall very happy with the bass and doesn't want to return it. It's not like he's even trying just to be difficult. A NBD is supposed to be joyful and happy - when it's riddled with doubtful questions AND the luthier either doesn't respond or responds dismissively, makes for a painful experience instead. Let's not forget the 'perception' factor in business, shall we? Their business practices SMELL like (which doesn't mean they ACTUALLY behave like that, but it is the impression they give) "Well now I've got your money, so..."

• Thanks 1

As I said in the Maruszczyk thread, I ordered a bass a few months ago, still hasn’t arrived (normal, still within the timeframe), although I emailed Adrian twice this week with questions regarding my order, and no response. Whereas before I ordered he would reply within minutes. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Radchenko said:

I don't want to return the bass I think. I really like the neck, and other things. But yes, I want some kind of compensation or solution for the problems.

Thank you

Agree with you. If you don’t want to return the bass then some compensation must be done with a few of these issues.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sibob said:

(Foam in the truss rod cavity 🙄 lol)

I have foam in the truss rod cavity. I think it is nicer than just a plain hole with a allen key hole in there. Although not as nice as a nut with holes in it like musicman have (and even my chinese wrongo!)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I have foam in the truss rod cavity. I think it is nicer than just a plain hole with a allen key hole in there. Although not as nice as a nut with holes in it like musicman have (and even my chinese wrongo!)

Completely agree, my eye-rolling was the OP bringing it up as (what reads like) an issue in his initial email.

Si

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Completely agree, my eye-rolling was the OP bringing it up as (what reads like) an issue in his initial email.

Yep, that is a feature rather than a fault. Same as the fretboard. The electronics and the scratch though, they need something doing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Yep, that is a feature rather than a fault. Same as the fretboard. The electronics and the scratch though, they need something doing.

For sure 

Si

• Like 1

Pot taper is the same on mine. Personally, I don't consider it to be an issue.

Main issue here (IMO) is poor comms from Adrian, but I can't help thinking topping and tailing your email with:

'Hello Adrian.  Thanks for sending the bass. I have a few questions...

...thank you.'

....might have started things off on a better foot.

• Like 6

I agree with WoT. Not to criticise the OP in any way but I was polite and found Adrian to be amenable throughout and even when I changed something after I paid the deposit he never charged me the €50 fee

Edited by rasher80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

....might have started things off on a better foot.

I would say might have done, but dealing with shitty customers is part of the job, so when they are paying you 2k, if they send you a message you think is a bit shitty, you can whinge at your coworkers and call them any name under the sun, but when it comes to replying, if you are not the sort who can keep it better than that, find someone else who can.

My wife gets the occasional bad email like that, she will rant at me about it, and then write something polite back. If she really can't, then I do it for her. 

It is basic customer service really. 

For all the issues that occur with Maruszczyk in basschat I would think that 90% could have been better solved if they just got someone better at talking with customers than Adrian. 

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I would say might have done, but dealing with shitty customers is part of the job, so when they are paying you 2k, if they send you a message you think is a bit shitty, you can whinge at your coworkers and call them any name under the sun, but when it comes to replying, if you are not the sort who can keep it better than that, find someone else who can.

My wife gets the occasional bad email like that, she will rant at me about it, and then write something polite back. If she really can't, then I do it for her. 

It is basic customer service really. 

For all the issues that occur with Maruszczyk in basschat I would think that 90% could have been better solved if they just got someone better at talking with customers than Adrian. 

Yep,  but my original point still stands.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rasher80 said:

I agree with WoT. Not to criticise the OP in any way but I was polite and found Adrian to be amenable throughout and even when I changed something after I paid the deposit he never charged me the €50 fee

I found him to be amenable all the way through until there was an issue, then he was considerably less interested in talking.

• Like 1

Hello,

I feel ashamed about my first dialogue with Adrian when I received the Bass.

But my order were 6 january (Nordstrand pickups take long time to get it). And when he sent me the picture of the bass finished, I asked him two times about why It was shining in the picture and the weight, and he didn't answer me. When the bass arrives and saw it shining with no answer I fell into shock. Next thing, I appreciate the fissure etc and coldn't wait to receive answers. 

I've just write him this email (add). I'm not arguing with him, only looking for a peaceful solution.

Thank you.

Screenshot_2020-07-06-16-38-31-958_com.google.android.gm.png

Edited by Radchenko
  • Like 9

Well done for apologising. Both your first message and Adrian's reply were understandable but out of order. 

The crack looks like its running away from the base of the neck pocket towards the horn. You do see this in a lot of basses as that's a high stress point in a low strength area, but you should see this on a brand new bass, especially not for that sort of money. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Maude said:

Well done for apologising. Both your first message and Adrian's reply were understandable but out of order. 

The crack looks like its running away from the base of the neck pocket towards the horn. You do see this in a lot of basses as that's a high stress point in a low strength area, but you should see this on a brand new bass, especially not for that sort of money. 

Thank you,

But, do you think is a bad thing that could It be worst in future and a really bad problem?. 

Just now, Radchenko said:

Thank you,

But, do you think is a bad thing that could It be worst in future and a really bad problem?. 

If it's the sort of crack you see in some older basses spreading from the floor of the neck pocket then they don't usually cause any issues. But that said it can certainly never get better and there's no way I'd be accepting that on a new bass.

It's hard to see in picture though as it's black so I could be misreading it. 

• Like 1

On 05/07/2020 at 18:40, Sibob said:

Of course there’s nuance, but come on, I can write a polite email in French and Google Translate it. I don’t write a stark collection of short sentences just because that’s all my knowledge of the language permits lol.

Si

I think @Radchenko has a better command of English than that. Speaking as someone with IELTS 9 and speaking french and German myself, he is actually pretty good. His email was clearly not the best he could do.

• Like 1

Mate, you ordered a bass with a nitro finish. It’ll get matt, it’ll get cracks. It’s the nature of nitro. It’s fragile. 
Yes, you don’t want that on a brand new bass. But it could (and will) happen to the bass if you gig it loads. 

• Like 1

On 05/07/2020 at 15:58, Burns-bass said:

This discussion goes on forever. There’s no need for the string to be over the middle of the pickup poles and on most basses it doesn’t. It’s not a failure of the builder or a shifted neck.

It is a sign of bad design or construction. In a perfect world they would all line up perfectly. Who doesn't want a perfect bass for £2100, when Squier basses have perfect alignment?

• Like 2

On 05/07/2020 at 16:17, Burns-bass said:

I’m not sure if people are zooming in on the neck picture but that’s a crack in the finish that shouldn’t have passed QC. If it was damaged in transit that’s still the manufacturers responsibility to fix it or replace it.

I bought an FSR US jazz from a U.K. shop and it had the tiniest mark on it that was impossible to see unless you shine a light on the bass. The seller told me while packaging it up to send it to me and they offered me a £200 discount on retail and a new set of strings. 

Its so disappointing when you receive something new that doesn’t match expectations. I think you’re right to speak to the builder. I’m sure there’s an amicable solution.

Hello,

Adrian wroke me a couple of days ago, telling me what we want to improve the things.

I put this example. Now, I'm waiting for the final solution.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I’ve said it before but it’s incredible how many people don’t know what they’re buying and then spend money on something they do not like it. I understand Adrian should be a little more professional dealing with it, but most of these ‘issues’ are not issues, they’re choices or byproducts of your choices. This is also likely why most will state you are not entitled to a refund on customised product, to protect themselves and their business. 

21 minutes ago, skej21 said:

I’ve said it before but it’s incredible how many people don’t know what they’re buying and then spend money on something they do not like it. I understand Adrian should be a little more professional dealing with it, but most of these ‘issues’ are not issues, they’re choices or byproducts of your choices. This is also likely why most will state you are not entitled to a refund on customised product, to protect themselves and their business. 

True, but I think in this case the inch long crack protruding from the neck pocket qualifies the buyer to demand a refund.

Edit: the crack is might just in the finish - maybe Adrian needs to allow his nitro builds a longer curing period before final QC inspections and shipping? 

Edited by miles'tone